Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 706

Author Topic: Misc modding questions that are too minor to warrant their own thread  (Read 1700023 times)

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
Re: Misc modding questions that are too minor to warrant their own thread
« Reply #600 on: July 25, 2013, 07:48:40 PM »

LazyWizard provided an example and I've written one that does a pretty explicit job of creating a specific environment (I created a bunch of "space junk" as part of the mission). 

There are some minor hangups I've been having, primarily having to do with assigning things to neutral parties (for 3-way missions and other tasks) but it's very flexible, only major limitations on mission structures are time and coding skill.  You could make a simple RPG mission with FedEx questing and the like, even.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Vinya

• Captain
  • Vulgar at best...
    • View Profile
    • Mykyria Scifi/Zombie writing blog (Old site)
« Reply #601 on: July 27, 2013, 06:46:05 PM »

Is there a way to reproduce the explosion effect form a large ship (screen whiteout) with a missile? Also, for the same missile, how do I get large AoE EMP damage?

If you can't tell I'm trying to make realistic-ish nukes >.>
If by "good guys" you mean "elitist regime that suppresses colonial independence and thrives off of an overwhelmingly deep gap in wealth between social classes," then yes.

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: July 28, 2013, 10:45:46 AM »

I got a problem with my first weapon ever. I got the sprite in the game with no errors, but it doesn't fire when you use LMB. It has its own projectile file, .wpn and graphics for both of the above. The only thing it doesn't have is a custom sound file. (I just took the vanilla sound config and put it in my mod for now). It uses the light_needler_gun sound. Is ther any reason why it won't fire? I'm really excited for my mod!

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #603 on: July 28, 2013, 10:54:09 AM »

Can you post your weapon_data.csv and your .weapon file?

Edit: I too have a desire for help.

I'm making two mini factions, and the game starts fine when these are enabled. But the Nexus fleets do not seem to attack enemies and vice versa. When another fleet meets with a Nexus fleet, they just stack on top of eachother like two mating flies. What gives? O_o

Download: Nexus

Two screenshots, Tritachyon and Nexus just sitting there, nothing happening:
Spoiler

[close]

And the Free Miners Guild fleets simply won't appear. *scratches head*
They should appear in the same manner as independent fleets, that was my goal.

Download: Free Miners Guild

Can someone help me out please? :-X
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 05:32:42 PM by Gotcha! »

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: July 28, 2013, 05:39:24 PM »

http://www.mediafire.com/download/owv7bl7794py26p/Citadel_Defenders_0.5pre.zip

Alright, here is the link to download my pre-release. The weapon is called fox_lightacel. By the way, the sounds are the sounds of the needler, so I just renamed the needler shots and changed their addresses in the sound config file. Thanks!

Also, how do you get only one station defense fleet to spawn? Do you just create another spawn point that only spawns defense fleets with one max fleet, or what?

Oh yeah, another question. When do the convoys spawn? I don't know how to get them to spawn. It doesn't create and error, so I assume its ok.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 05:42:43 PM by Foxer360 »

FlashFrozen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: July 28, 2013, 06:04:16 PM »

Can you post your weapon_data.csv and your .weapon file?

Edit: I too have a desire for help.

I'm making two mini factions, and the game starts fine when these are enabled. But the Nexus fleets do not seem to attack enemies and vice versa. When another fleet meets with a Nexus fleet, they just stack on top of eachother like two mating flies. What gives? O_o

Download: Nexus

Two screenshots, Tritachyon and Nexus just sitting there, nothing happening:
Spoiler

[close]

And the Free Miners Guild fleets simply won't appear. *scratches head*
They should appear in the same manner as independent fleets, that was my goal.

Download: Free Miners Guild

Can someone help me out please? :-X

Did you make sure nexus and the Tritachyons are actually hostile to each other?

http://www.mediafire.com/download/owv7bl7794py26p/Citadel_Defenders_0.5pre.zip

Alright, here is the link to download my pre-release. The weapon is called fox_lightacel. By the way, the sounds are the sounds of the needler, so I just renamed the needler shots and changed their addresses in the sound config file. Thanks!

Also, how do you get only one station defense fleet to spawn? Do you just create another spawn point that only spawns defense fleets with one max fleet, or what?

Oh yeah, another question. When do the convoys spawn? I don't know how to get them to spawn. It doesn't create and error, so I assume its ok.

When you create the spawn point higher up in the file, there's an argument that sets how many fleets it can create maximum - I believe it's the fourth argument. Set that to zero; this means the spawn point only works when you call it manually. Then later in the gen file, call YourNameHerespawn.spawnFleet();

Example:
Code
	HegemonyPatrolSpawnPoint patrolSpawn = new HegemonyPatrolSpawnPoint(sector, system, 10, 0, hegemonyStation);
system.addSpawnPoint(patrolSpawn);
patrolSpawn.spawnFleet();

Anyone know how to slow down a ship to it's current max top speed while the ship system is active?

Think a maneuvering jets but slows you down to the current maximum speed ( of 0 units ).

I know the Burn drive slows you down at the end of it's use but does it work for active use?

Code
	public void apply(MutableShipStatsAPI stats, String id, State state, float effectLevel) {
if (state == ShipSystemStatsScript.State.OUT) {
stats.getMaxSpeed().unmodify(id);
} else {
stats.getMaxSpeed().modifyFlat(id, 200f * effectLevel);
stats.getAcceleration().modifyFlat(id, 200f * effectLevel);
}
}

Into:

Code
	public void apply(MutableShipStatsAPI stats, String id, State state, float effectLevel) {
if (state == ShipSystemStatsScript.State.OUT) {
stats.getMaxSpeed().modifyFlat(id, 100f * effectLevel);
stats.getAcceleration().modifyFlat(id, 100f * effectLevel);
} else {
stats.getMaxSpeed().unmodify(id);
}
}

Lol idk.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 06:07:31 PM by FlashFrozen »

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: July 28, 2013, 06:09:23 PM »

Thanks!
I'm still having trouble with my light ACEL weapon though. Any help on that?

FlashFrozen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: July 28, 2013, 06:18:30 PM »

Not sure what the problem is with your gun, it works fine for me,

Spoiler

[close]

Though my only concern is that they use a lot of flux to fire, are you sure the ship you mount them on has enough flux for them to fire?

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #608 on: July 28, 2013, 06:21:19 PM »

@Foxer360: It works for me. BUT. I think the ship you're using might not have enough flux to fire it, since it uses an insane amount of flux.
You make it burstfire 25 rounds and each shot will use 55 energy. That's 55x25=1375 flux with one burst.
Edit: Ninja'd by FlashFrozen.

@FlashFrozen: Yes, they're enemies. I included two screenshots too. It's very weird. I don't understand it.

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: July 28, 2013, 06:23:45 PM »

Whoops. I think I went a bit overboard on the flux. I mounted my ACEL on the hound, but it didn't have enough capacity to fire.
XD Oh yeah, and the Zenta you used doesn't drain soft flux with its shields up ATM.

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: July 28, 2013, 06:39:54 PM »

@FlashFrozen: Yes, they're enemies. I included two screenshots too. It's very weird. I don't understand it.

Check the StarSector log; sometimes the game will throw an exception that is caught, and it should appear in the log. IIRC I had a similar problem once and exceptions were appearing in the log but StarSector carried on merrily :)

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: July 28, 2013, 07:22:43 PM »

Is there a way to reproduce the explosion effect form a large ship (screen whiteout) with a missile?
Largish numbers of really huge glow particles in the AOE definition of the projectile.

Also, for the same missile, how do I get large AoE EMP damage?
EMP is handled just like regular damage.  If it has 20K EMP damage, everything in the AOE that is able to collide is going to take 20K EMP.

Anyone know how to slow down a ship to it's current max top speed while the ship system is active?
Just do Burn Drive's script in reverse, but that will not change current velocity.  If you want to change current velocity when it's active, you need to have it alter the velocity component of the Entity over time (like, just multiply the XY by 0.99f or whatever).
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 07:26:49 PM by xenoargh »
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Vinya

• Captain
  • Vulgar at best...
    • View Profile
    • Mykyria Scifi/Zombie writing blog (Old site)
« Reply #612 on: July 28, 2013, 11:07:54 PM »

Also how is AoE determined with weapons?

>.>
If by "good guys" you mean "elitist regime that suppresses colonial independence and thrives off of an overwhelmingly deep gap in wealth between social classes," then yes.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: July 29, 2013, 05:09:12 AM »

AoE is determined in the .proj file for it.  As far as I know, only missiles weapons can actually have that setting, though.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #614 on: July 29, 2013, 05:29:09 AM »

Check the StarSector log; sometimes the game will throw an exception that is caught, and it should appear in the log. IIRC I had a similar problem once and exceptions were appearing in the log but StarSector carried on merrily :)

Nothing in the log as well. Go figure.
I am going to create two separate threads for both my issues.

Edit: It suddenly struck me! Gawd, what an idiot I am. I solved the Nexus issue.
They do initiate a fight with the player and after I let my second in command handle the fight (which I tried 2 seconds ago) the enemy all fled! Then this old light bulb began to burn above my head.
Problem is: They have no crew! They're an AI, and only AI. No robots or whatever. So I gave the ships no crew. This generates a huuuge side effect apparently.
Cripes. Hopefully future versions will allow fleets to have no crew or have no option to be conquered.

Edit2: No, scrap all that. Problem still persists. -_-
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 05:52:54 AM by Gotcha! »

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 706