Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 706

Author Topic: Misc modding questions that are too minor to warrant their own thread  (Read 1700074 times)

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
Re: Misc modding questions that are too minor to warrant their own thread
« Reply #525 on: May 17, 2013, 01:37:23 PM »

Right. That, along with the hull hitpoints, flux capacity, the armor rating, and possibly a few other values, only get used at ship creation. You do, on the other hand, have stats to control the damage taken by weapons etc to work around that.
Oh, derp. Totally forgot about all the other methods that could accomplish the same goal...

Thanks for the answer.

Vinya

• Captain
  • Vulgar at best...
    • View Profile
    • Mykyria Scifi/Zombie writing blog (Old site)
« Reply #526 on: May 17, 2013, 03:54:39 PM »

How would one go about adding a crap-ton of new graphics to the debris section? Would I just add them into a mod or is there some code changing needed...?

Need to know.

>feel ignored
If by "good guys" you mean "elitist regime that suppresses colonial independence and thrives off of an overwhelmingly deep gap in wealth between social classes," then yes.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: May 17, 2013, 04:02:25 PM »

Sorry, missed it :) The debris graphics are in these locations:
graphics/debris/debris_sml0.png
graphics/debris/debris_sml1.png
graphics/debris/debris_sml2.png
graphics/debris/debris_sml3.png
graphics/debris/debris_med0.png
graphics/debris/debris_med1.png
graphics/debris/debris_lrg0.png
graphics/debris/debris_lrg1.png
You can replace them, but can't add new ones.

Vinya

• Captain
  • Vulgar at best...
    • View Profile
    • Mykyria Scifi/Zombie writing blog (Old site)
« Reply #528 on: May 17, 2013, 04:30:23 PM »

/sadface

They have to referenced somewhere, right? Changing the API would be relatively easy.
If by "good guys" you mean "elitist regime that suppresses colonial independence and thrives off of an overwhelmingly deep gap in wealth between social classes," then yes.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: May 24, 2013, 11:48:58 PM »

I don't think this exists, but I'd love to be wrong: can we get a hook for just after a battle with a reference to the fought fleet (or their name)? For modifying faction relations for example.

If not, has anyone written a tracking script to hack around it?

LazyWizard

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub Profile
« Reply #530 on: May 25, 2013, 12:12:26 AM »

I don't think this exists, but I'd love to be wrong: can we get a hook for just after a battle with a reference to the fought fleet (or their name)? For modifying faction relations for example.

If not, has anyone written a tracking script to hack around it?

For player-vs-AI battles, you can use a custom BattleCreationPlugin implementation that broadcasts the fleets passed in. That will let you know what fleet the player is fighting, though obviously only if things get to the battle map stage.

For AI-vs-AI battles, I don't know of a good way to do it in the current version. I think the best you could do is constantly scan all fleets in the system for FP loss, then see if there was a nearby enemy fleet who could be the culprit. Not exactly the most accurate system (and accidents would really throw it off, obviously). :(

It's a moot point, though; the upcoming .6a patch's custom autoresolve plugin will give us access to all AI-vs-AI battles, leaving just the above solution for player-vs-AI for complete monitoring. :)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 12:17:25 AM by LazyWizard »

Arumac

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: May 25, 2013, 10:17:09 PM »

Got a question. Is ther any way to make a projectile that doesn't inherit velocity? Or at the very least bring it's velocity down to 0?

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: May 26, 2013, 09:03:16 AM »

Got a question. Is ther any way to make a projectile that doesn't inherit velocity? Or at the very least bring it's velocity down to 0?

Space Mines?

Maybe by adding a burndrive-like script to the projectile. Basically missiles with some burndrive system, and when it run out, slow down to zero. Dunno if it could work with other weapons though.

I also got a question. Is it possible to make a weapon that ignore armor? Like hitting directly the hull of the enemy ship?

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: May 26, 2013, 09:46:11 AM »

I did it for a MIRV weapon, It's in my Battlefarer Forever mod, Dunno whether it's in current release :P

All i did was set the first projectile to have 0 top speed and acceleration, but 400000ish deceleration, with an insane launch speed, The launch speed controls distance :P
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: May 26, 2013, 11:11:33 AM »

Right, a missile with a 0 top speed ought to do it.

I also got a question. Is it possible to make a weapon that ignore armor? Like hitting directly the hull of the enemy ship?

Could do it with an on-hit effect and directly setting the hull value/spawning floaties as appropriate. See the ion cannon .wpn file for more details on an on-hit effect.

LazyWizard

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub Profile
« Reply #535 on: May 26, 2013, 11:14:47 AM »

Could do it with an on-hit effect and directly setting the hull value/spawning floaties as appropriate. See the ion cannon .wpn file for more details on an on-hit effect.

We can set the hull level manually? Where is that defined in the API? I feel like an idiot for missing it all this time...

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: May 26, 2013, 11:20:53 AM »

Erm. Sorry about that; ShipAPI.get/setHitpoints() will actually only be in 0.6a. Thought it was there already, but I was mistaken.

Arumac

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: May 26, 2013, 01:45:24 PM »

Right, a missile with a 0 top speed ought to do it.

It still seems to inherit the speed of the launching ship. I have it sat as a phase_charge missile type because I need to have an AoE effect, I'm not sure if there's a missile type or something like that that doesn't inherit velocity and still enables the proximity fuse effect.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: May 26, 2013, 02:04:31 PM »

If the missile has a non-zero acceleration value, yeah, it'll inherit the speed's velocity, but then it'll gradually stop - more quickly if the acceleration is high.

You could also add an EveryFrameCombatPlugin that checks all the projectiles every frame, and when it sees them for the first time, subtracts the source's velocity from the projectile's. I think that the currently-released API has all the methods to let you do that.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: May 26, 2013, 02:09:12 PM »

My way did it, but a big problem was that it sticks to the first target it sees, and will not change, regardless of distance
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 706