Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: What drew you to this game?  (Read 13750 times)

vordrax

• Ensign
    • View Profile
What drew you to this game?
« on: January 16, 2012, 02:37:51 PM »

I just grabbed it today. I'm a big fan of 2D space combat, including AI War and SPAZ and SC2 and Space Rangers. But the most trivial thing really attracted me to this game when I was watching WTF is Starfarer. It wasn't the combat (which is quite cool- really looking forward to seeing what you guys do with it.) It wasn't the tactical map, which I find very useful and easy to navigate (much easier than TB made it out to be.) It wasn't the promise of all the sandbox-y things.

It was the stupidest thing- when I saw the combat video, when a ship's shields were down, and its hull was being struck, the hull became heated and melted. I mean, it's such a small aesthetic detail in the grand scheme of things. But I realized that the developers actually cared about these effects. When you hear simulationists complain about the "hit point paradigm," and the critical existence failure trope, this is part of the solution. Small details that actually show impact and effect. Anyways, I thought it was cool. What do you guys like about this game so far?

Surveyor

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: What drew you to this game?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 02:46:53 PM »

Mainly that it is a dedicated singleplayer game. But many other factor come to play:
- awesome team
- equally awesome community
- great communication
- that Starfarer is not IP remake #253762 with the same stuff!

And TB is at his best when he is annoyed. A WTF is ... ? without him showing emotions is pretty much a bad game. Thats why he is so loved b his fans after all  ;D

entropy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 02:48:37 PM »

SPAZ.

AcidRa1n

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 03:46:33 PM »

Explosions.

Jeffk38uk

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Panthera Webcomic
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 04:21:51 PM »

Mostly that this is a game where you control primarily large cruisers and starships. It is surprising when you look at the full breadth of space games are primarily in a fighter jet or similar to, darting about. While that has its own appeal that I enjoy, there is very few where you control the slow but powerful destroyers or carriers. SPAZ is the most recent that peaked that interest, but nothing else of note recently that allowed that ability. X3 maybe but a bit difficult, Bridge Commander sure but pretty old by now. If we're going way back there are the Battlecruiser games. :P

heuristicus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 04:51:56 PM »

Linux compatibility was a major factor.

Atroce

• Ensign
  • IMMA FIRIN' MAH LAZOR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 06:23:35 PM »

The tactical approach compared to SPAZ. Also the ships designs are prettier than in any other game of the genre and number of mods for a game in alpha is really promising.  :)
-Atroce

Gear

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 06:45:12 PM »

Been itching for a new space game every since I found out about another indie space game called StarDrive. Then I saw TB's video and I jumped on this game :)

Pyri

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 06:55:54 PM »

Well what drew me to the game were 2 things TB vid for one, and the game being developed for Linux...oh yes. But what i really like the most about the game...is the feeling when i fired up Starfarer for the first time and sat down to play tutorial, pressing the "W" to fire thrusters and seeing the Destroyer reacting...not even SPAZ got that so perfectly well

leonvision

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 08:53:07 PM »

the absence of a single-player sandbox style space role-playing game with strategic elements, then found out about it from the vid totalbiscuit did.

the released version of SPAZ was pretty abysmal, starfarer even as an alpha is way beter already, i mean, watching the menu screen is more satisfying than playing SPAZ.

i have the say though, im not playing the game too much just yet simply because of its format atm, im really looking forward to the free roaming, RPG side of things. cant wait for 0.50a to come out.

in the mean time, have any of you heard for captain forever/captain successor? it's a really sandboxy minimalistic space shooter that has a un-rivaled ship building system, you should go try it out, capt forever is free, bit successor is ~$9 iirc.
twitter: lagdotexe - mainly about gaming

VikingMaekel

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 04:55:54 AM »

That it was a game where you control large ships with multiple weapons, a tactical fleet simulator.
I'm liking it!

Fient

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 05:04:04 AM »

Fluid combat with active tactical decision making.
Everything I say is IMO. Capitalism, ho~

SeaBee

• Commander
  • The stars are ... alive and breathing
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 07:45:17 AM »

A variety of ships with powerful weapons, substantial explosions, and a Mount & Blade-esque sandbox -- in space? Yeah, I had no ability to resist that.

For me, the entire package is a Big Deal. The RPG-light mechanics, the crew and officer system, the dynamic sandbox campaign, the use of massive ships along with nimble fighters, the chance to build up a fleet the way we want ... I'm very excited for the future of the game. Every bullet-point on the feature list gets me more excited.

whitenoise71

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 08:10:03 AM »

Drawn by:
- EV Nova/star control look and Methodology
- Excellent looking graphics and dang good sounds.
- A feeling i am really a "Captain" of something. Seriously decisions mean something.
- An AI that is challenging and at some points merciless. It is almost like the "Dark Souls" of space games. (the challenges result in a rewarding feeling when you win a battle.)
- super nice devs who respond and seem to be enjoying themselves.
- Indie, indie, indie! 'nuff said.

BeanusMaximus

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 10:44:42 AM »

To be honest, I can't remember what lead me to the game. I just randomly stumbled on it (think I saw it through twitter but not sure). Then the fact that the graphics looked AMAZING (graphical pew pews interests me a lot). Then I thought I'd buy it to try it and it's epic :D
RAWR (dunno why I did that)

Feel free to follow me on twitter >:D https://twitter.com/#!/TOBeanus

Other than that I have a dream, that dream is to dream of dreaming of dreams.
Pages: [1] 2 3