Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: So crazy it just might work...  (Read 8244 times)

cassusfett

• Ensign
    • View Profile
So crazy it just might work...
« on: December 08, 2012, 09:36:03 PM »

One word. Multiplayer. Not like cooperative or anything but like 1v1 or 2v2 on randomly generated maps with each side having a set level of resources to draw from. Maybe some capture-the-navpoint or 4 player FFA(free-for-all). Well, that's my crazy idea. Tell me what you think.

ThePinkPanzer

• Commander
  • Professional accidentaly rude person
    • View Profile
Re: So crazy it just might work...
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 09:52:18 PM »

*Comes along shortly.*

Welcome to the forum!

Use the search bar!

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 01:37:27 AM »

Yay! It's been a while since I've done one of these.
HA HA you enjoying this so much admit it!  ;D
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

Rowanas

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 02:16:08 PM »

Even panzer wasn't really welcoming, so I'll try:

Welcome to the forums.

P.S. Your life here, and indeed, on every forum, will be short and painful if you refuse to search for previously discussed topics. In addition, always assume:

A: If the game has singleplayer, someone has asked for multiplayer.
B: If the game has multiplayer, someone has asked for singleplayer.
C: If the game has both, someone has asked for extra modes.

ThePinkPanzer

• Commander
  • Professional accidentaly rude person
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 02:52:49 PM »

How was I not welcoming :-\

sirboomalot

• Admiral
  • Boom
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 03:18:58 PM »

You forgot an S on the end of the word forums  :P

Rowanas

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 04:05:30 PM »

I really just wanted an excuse to chip in. If you were me, you'd take every opportunity to act all superior as well :D

Hardlyjoking67

• Captain
  • I'm a different kind of buddy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 06:56:42 PM »

I don't think we made a good impression guys. He's only made one post! And I did like his username ever so much....  :'(

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 10:12:00 PM »

Okay, so we can overlook beginner mistakes on every new user? The search bar is there for a reason, and the FAQ specifically mentions that the game will never have MP. In fact, i think it'd help if the FAQ had it's own must-read-before-suggesting thingy. That would indeed help alot.

Anyways, welcome to the forums. I hope you'll use the search function better in the future.

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2012, 10:19:04 PM »

The "basic" code would likely involve rewriting the majority of the engine from scratch, along with likely design changes for things that don't work well in an environment with latency :)

Nope.

Hardlyjoking67

• Captain
  • I'm a different kind of buddy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 07:23:00 PM »

Okay, so we can overlook beginner mistakes on every new user?

Well what if we didn't? Why not give the people benefit of the doubt. It seems pointless to me to make someone else feel bad, regardless if they should have known or not. Why not make the experience for new users "Oh, hey I totally screwed up, but the people on this forum are really welcoming and considerate! This motivates me to be a more responsible member of this forum and I can't wait to help other new members understand the community's stance on certain issues in a way that makes everyone feel good!" ? I dunno. I feel like people on this forum can be a bit elitist if you ask me (Not you Upgrade). The fact that someone went to the effort and gathered the courage to make their first post on the forum is reason enough to give them the benefit of the doubt. If you're going to be elitist, you have to better than everyone else right?

Daily Soapbox Session concluded.

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 11:41:49 PM »

I do not get it, what's big fuss about multilayer asking? So, someone experienced this game and it feels it would be awesome to have multilayer (and it would  ;D), come on forum see SUGGESTIONS and suggest it. And he do not use "search". Maybe he is to excited to suggest it so he totally forget or don't think about it. So what? Maybe there is, on every 1 who suggest multilayer, 9 or 19 or 99 who wanted to suggest but then use search and decided to don't. So, maybe, statistically speaking this is good result  ;D

But really, i do not get it. It's not like someone is standing next to you constantly asking: "Can we make multilayer? Can we make multilayer? Can we make multilayer? Can we make multilayer? Can we make multilayer? Can we make multilayer? Can we make multilayer? Can we make multilayer? Can we make multilayer? Can we make multilayer? Can we make multilayer? Can we make multilayer? Can we make multilayer? Can we make multilayer? Can we make multilayer? Can we make multilayer? Can we make multilayer? Can we make multilayer? Can we make multilayer?"
Well, that would be highly irritating.

This is forum, if you have urge to reply at that kind of post just simply say no with, maybe, little explanation why and that is it. Polite.

Jesh, loosen up people we are not in military!  ;D

Oh, yes, and if this multilayer suggestion thing bother you so much why don't you (you as anyone who is bothered with it) suggest putting sticky topic with title, lets say:

"THIS GAME WILL NEVER HAVE MULTILAYER - DEV TEAM"

with little explanation why not. Alex's quotes on that matter would be enough.
That way there is high chance for new suggesters to see it.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 11:47:26 PM by arcibalde »
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2012, 05:30:58 AM »

Well what if we didn't? Why not give the people benefit of the doubt. It seems pointless to me to make someone else feel bad, regardless if they should have known or not. Why not make the experience for new users "Oh, hey I totally screwed up, but the people on this forum are really welcoming and considerate! This motivates me to be a more responsible member of this forum and I can't wait to help other new members understand the community's stance on certain issues in a way that makes everyone feel good!"

Yeah, i do see your point, but if the FAQ (Which, if you ask me, should be a mandatory read before posting) clearly states the the motives and reasoning behind there not being multiplayer. A quick search (which is always mandatory for me before a new thread is created) would yield several results on the topic of MP. But yeah, i do see how it can feel a bit repulsing for new users to be greeted with such an amount of flak.

EDIT:
But really, i do not get it. It's not like someone is standing next to you constantly asking: "Can we make multilayer? Can we make multilayer? Can we make multilayer? Can we make multilayer? Can we make multilayer? Can we make multilayer? Can we make multilayer? Can we make multilayer? Can we make multilayer? Can we make multilayer? Can we make multilayer? Can we make multilayer? Can we make multilayer? Can we make multilayer? Can we make multilayer? Can we make multilayer? Can we make multilayer? Can we make multilayer? Can we make multilayer?"
Well, that would be highly irritating.

Sorry, but that is how i feel this MP suggestion stuff is. Especially with Billy Reubens Highlighting. :p
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 05:45:54 AM by Upgradecap »

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2012, 07:22:34 AM »

Admit it. You people live for these kinds of threads. The day people stop asking about multiplayer is the day you'll abandon these forums.

While it may never be implemented; there's no reason for the aspects of multiplayer not to be discussed. The most interesting discussions can be about things that are purely hypothetical.

So without further delay, I welcome you to the forums, cassusfett!
Pages: [1] 2