Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Deploy fighters from carriers (simple handling)  (Read 15941 times)

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
Re: Deploy fighters from carriers (simple handling)
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 12:44:37 AM »

For what it's worth, I think this is a good idea.
As do I :)
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2013, 09:28:28 PM »

"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

zakastra

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2013, 07:49:57 AM »

At the risk of turning this thread into a list of +1's I think the idea is well thought out, would contribute a lot to the game thematically, in terms of awesome, and give you a nice way of keeping your fighters out of the meat grinder when its too dangerous for them to be flying about.
Oh DRM, bane of the carrier captain...

firstattak1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2013, 12:14:58 PM »

Love this idea, but here's my thoughts. Fighters should be 0fp but you need hanger space to use the , except maybe for some ships that seem really good. Yes this could eliminate small lone fighters but instead just hav alone fighters with a lousy carrier.

Btw Question: why is fighters fp if we have hanger space?
Because to me there is no reason to have it.

Pendragon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2013, 12:57:06 PM »

Love this idea, but here's my thoughts. Fighters should be 0fp but you need hanger space to use the , except maybe for some ships that seem really good. Yes this could eliminate small lone fighters but instead just hav alone fighters with a lousy carrier.

I can see this working except for one problem. At the start of combat you would be forced to deploy your carrier rather than individual fighter wings and frigates. Most worth-while carriers are at least cruiser class and the vast majority of them are capital ships. This would use up almost your entire starting FP allotment. Rather than making fighters more versatile it forces an almost all or nothing choice on a player. Does he want to deploy his carrier and have fighters available immediately or does he want to be able to utilize frigates or destroyers?

At the moment, fighters, as useful as they are in certain situations, are woefully under-powered in general combat and without heavier backup can very quickly get picked apart. Particularly cheap/early game ones like the talon or piranha class. If you've only got fighters and a carrier on the field but your opponent fields a series of fast/powerful frigates he may be able to intercept you before you capture the points you need to bring on backup and at that point you are well and truly screwed because fighters vs frigates is only going to end one way.

Gaizokubanou

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2013, 01:16:28 PM »

I can see this working except for one problem. At the start of combat you would be forced to deploy your carrier rather than individual fighter wings and frigates. Most worth-while carriers are at least cruiser class and the vast majority of them are capital ships. This would use up almost your entire starting FP allotment. Rather than making fighters more versatile it forces an almost all or nothing choice on a player. Does he want to deploy his carrier and have fighters available immediately or does he want to be able to utilize frigates or destroyers?

At the moment, fighters, as useful as they are in certain situations, are woefully under-powered in general combat and without heavier backup can very quickly get picked apart. Particularly cheap/early game ones like the talon or piranha class. If you've only got fighters and a carrier on the field but your opponent fields a series of fast/powerful frigates he may be able to intercept you before you capture the points you need to bring on backup and at that point you are well and truly screwed because fighters vs frigates is only going to end one way.

I don't follow this argument.  Carriers, all 5 of them, aren't particularly expensive in FP, especially the ever so popular and versatile Venture (12 FP for a cruiser what?).  And for the really confusing part, there are plenty of non-carrier ships with hanger space... so what the hell?

To top that off, if fighters/bombers were to cost zero flight points with enough hanger space, you can bring in those fancy regular ships and fighters would be included in your fleet in addition for FREE, so what are you talking about needing to bring in more reinforcements?

Pendragon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2013, 02:12:41 PM »

I don't follow this argument.  Carriers, all 5 of them, aren't particularly expensive in FP, especially the ever so popular and versatile Venture (12 FP for a cruiser what?).  And for the really confusing part, there are plenty of non-carrier ships with hanger space... so what the hell?

To top that off, if fighters/bombers were to cost zero flight points with enough hanger space, you can bring in those fancy regular ships and fighters would be included in your fleet in addition for FREE, so what are you talking about needing to bring in more reinforcements?

My point was that while carriers are not particularly expensive in FP for their class they're also not, in general, particularly powerful for their class in my experience. Taking the venture as an example. It has only one flight deck so can only deploy one fighter wing from it at a time. For the same cost you can field three or four frigates or even a Medusa. That free fighter wing is going bye-bye it comes up against that. Heck, even the Venture itself, when it does manage to truck into combat, is not going to be able to deal with the Medusa if its piloted effectively.

As I said, I love the idea of being able to deploy fighters from carriers during an engagement but I just don't think this is the way to do it.

firstattak1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2013, 03:16:56 PM »

Well maybe this will balance fleets out? Because right now it seems that frigates are really only for capturing ATM( or that what I've seen from me and the two youtubers) and they as well as well as fighters need more uses. This could fix these both.

Pendragon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2013, 04:37:24 PM »

Well maybe this will balance fleets out? Because right now it seems that frigates are really only for capturing ATM( or that what I've seen from me and the two youtubers) and they as well as well as fighters need more uses. This could fix these both.

It depends on where you are in the game. Early on and even into the mid-game a fast attack pack of frigates can be devastating. Later on though when you're up against cruisers and capital ships I think its right that frigates get relegated to a scouting/harassing role since if they were a serious threat to ships of that size why would anyone bother with a Capital ship?

Fighters are always useful in a scouting role but as long as you don't mind taking a few casualties they remain useful right through the game for harassing and slowing down the enemy's bigger ships. Holding up an Onslaught by forcing it to raise its shields and take pot shots at a couple of squads of wasps can very easily give you the extra time you need to get a pair of strike cruisers into position to intercept it.

ArkAngel

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2013, 05:26:17 PM »

It depends on where you are in the game. Early on and even into the mid-game a fast attack pack of frigates can be devastating. Later on though when you're up against cruisers and capital ships I think its right that frigates get relegated to a scouting/harassing role since if they were a serious threat to ships of that size why would anyone bother with a Capital ship?

Fighters are always useful in a scouting role but as long as you don't mind taking a few casualties they remain useful right through the game for harassing and slowing down the enemy's bigger ships. Holding up an Onslaught by forcing it to raise its shields and take pot shots at a couple of squads of wasps can very easily give you the extra time you need to get a pair of strike cruisers into position to intercept it.

Fighters also stop other bombers.
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2013, 06:36:01 PM »

Not very effectively. As far as anti-bomber measures go, point defense and maneuvering work better for me. I use interceptors as point cappers more than I use them as.... interceptors.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2013, 07:29:29 PM »

Deploying fighters from carriers IS indeed a good idea, but even though I want that REALLY bad, I see no real use for it.  Yea, you can hide fighters inside the safety of the carrier...until another ship comes along and takes out two birds with one stone. -_-
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

ArkAngel

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2013, 07:56:13 PM »

Makes it easier to deploy fighters closer to the fight? Also gives them a place to hide from aa ships.

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2013, 08:04:54 PM »

I don't think it should be optional, personally, if it's gonna be in.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

dogboy123

• Captain
  • Boron military barracuda
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2013, 08:13:26 PM »

I support it 100%. :P
"I'm expecting an all-out tactical dogfight... followed by a light dinner.
Pages: 1 [2] 3