Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The weekly teaser  (Read 7256 times)

Aleskander

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: The weekly teaser
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2012, 08:13:09 PM »

Masochists

But yeah, this would be neat, and a refresher between the few and far in between blog posts

Tarran

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2012, 10:37:34 PM »

I'm against tying anyone to specific schedules. In my experience as a GM, at least for myself, it gets tiresome to do the same thing again and again each same set piece of time.

I'd say just let Alex do what he wants when he wants. Don't make him a (partial) slave to his own game. :P

ThePinkPanzer

• Commander
  • Professional accidentaly rude person
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2012, 10:45:31 PM »

I'm against tying anyone to specific schedules. In my experience as a GM, at least for myself, it gets tiresome to do the same thing again and again each same set piece of time.

I'd say just let Alex do what he wants when he wants. Don't make him a (partial) slave to his own game. :P

It's not much, he doesn't even have to describe what we are seeing. Just print screen the piece of code or new sprite or whatever and post it on the blog.

Tarran

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2012, 02:37:06 AM »

In my personal experience, even if it's not much, it's still repetitive. It will still eventually get tiresome.

Regardless, it being a small thing or not isn't the main point I'm making.

Also, why would you print a picture of a section of code? I mean, you don't need images for that...
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 02:42:42 AM by Tarran »

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2012, 06:02:48 AM »

The blog posts come regularly enough as it is, and even when those come out Alex usually says something like "some/most/all of this is subject to change" in the opening paragraph.

ThePinkPanzer

• Commander
  • Professional accidentaly rude person
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2012, 09:49:29 AM »

The blog posts come regularly enough as it is, and even when those come out Alex usually says something like "some/most/all of this is subject to change" in the opening paragraph.

Thirty days is not regular.

And who cares if it is subject to change. It's still something.

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2012, 11:16:49 AM »

Thirty days is not regular.

And who cares if it is subject to change. It's still something.

Yes, it is regular.

And Alex is the one who makes the judgement on whether something is appropriate to post or not. I personally would love more information on a more frequent basis, but I would hate to think it was being provided in any way against how/why the devs wish to present it, it just isn't our call.

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

UrbanGiraffe

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2012, 12:50:03 AM »

I think a comparable game in this instance would have to be Dwarf Fortress... while updates can be many months in the making, frequent development blurbs on the site make the waiting much less dull. I definitely think it'd help Starfarer keep up its momentum to try something similar, but it all comes down the dev's personal preference.

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2012, 01:56:45 AM »

Yeah it seriously gets annoying when we go months without hearing nothing. I am perfectly fine with waiting a few months for an update, but waiting without any news or at least a small screenshot to hold me over is just a chore.

Then don't wait. Play other things, do other things.

Annoying are posts like this!

Peace out.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2012, 02:01:11 AM »

...Annoying are posts like this!

Spoiler
[close]
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2012, 05:25:54 AM »

Why bother with a weekly teaser? Guys, don't forget the suspension. I mean, who here hasn't blown up (figuratively speaking, ofcourse ;)) of excitement when they figured out that a new starfarer update has come out. I mean, for me, the patch notes suffice, as i have tons of other stuff to do in the meanwhile, other than just stare at the blog, or patch notes thread, in desperate hope of any updates.

I mean, you guys should do something else than complain on development progress. Like, say, playing the game, for example. If you get bored of the vanilla game, and want something radically different, try vacuum, or ironclads, or caelus. Trust me, they will prolong the longevity of the game. :)

TheHappyFace

• Admiral
  • The critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2012, 09:21:07 AM »

Why bother with a weekly teaser? Guys, don't forget the suspension. I mean, who here hasn't blown up (figuratively speaking, ofcourse ;)) of excitement when they figured out that a new starfarer update has come out.
i dont...
Fractalsoftworks limited edition ban hammer.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2012, 09:40:19 AM »

Me neither

Aleskander

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2012, 05:00:39 PM »

Me neither
Am I missing something, you just said that you did in your post?
Pages: 1 [2]