Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: in-game custom ship builder?  (Read 9479 times)

Abyz

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
in-game custom ship builder?
« on: December 06, 2012, 12:49:45 PM »

Would it be feasible to create a 'ship builder', a la Gal Civ 2, for starfarer?

Could consist of:

A huge library of different shapes one could put together to determine a look for their vessel

A stat menu where a pool of points are used to determine the abilities/features of the ship

Would something like this be reasonably doable?

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: in-game custom ship builder?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 12:51:50 PM »

Umm...it;s been suggested before.  Really hard to make a huge library of ship parts, time consuming, and ultimatly unnessesary.  Adding it would be a welcome for newbies, though. :) Easier to get into modding and pixel art.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Hardlyjoking67

• Captain
  • I'm a different kind of buddy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 06:30:05 PM »

Just a plus which had already been mentioned in a probably long winded argument.

If it is implemented, you can be sure that it will be balanced, as opposed to some of the mods. Also, you can be assured of the high quality of the parts of well!

And a minus...

I think that this is one of those finicky things that kind of would be added on as the game neared completion. Takes lots of time and doesn't add a new dimension to the game-play which has seemed to be the trend over the past updates. IMO, make your suggestions. While they might not be implemented, you can be assured that whatever comes out of the dev-oven will be fantastic and delicious. And it will also include frosting and sprinkles.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 01:01:41 AM »

...You can be assured that whatever comes out of the dev-oven will be fantastic and delicious. And it will also include frosting and sprinkles.
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

Gabrybbo

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 01:23:22 AM »

...you can be assured that whatever comes out of the dev-oven will be fantastic and delicious. And it will also include frosting and sprinkles.

This goes directly in my signature.  ;D

Back to the suggestion: i doubt that we'll see an official shape-library, it's something that it's likely going to be done by the community rather than the developers, at least not anytime soon.  :)
The stat menu can be a good thing, but we have already a community-made balancing tool somewhere in the modding resources.  ;)
...you can be assured that whatever comes out of the dev-oven will be fantastic and delicious. And it will also include frosting and sprinkles.