Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Map, and Space Terrains.  (Read 11745 times)

Archduke Astro

• Captain
  • 99 AU from anywhere
    • View Profile
Re: Map, and Space Terrains.
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2011, 02:03:55 AM »

A different varient of a nebula which puts a strain on flux would be cool.  A hazard which only the brave would journey through.
I intended to make a similar but not identical suggestion. While nebulas should included that feature which impairs flux dissipation (among other perils), we could have additional types of space terrain which also cause that effect. Make of them what you will: heat zone, radiation field, meteor storm, stellar flares, etc.; no reason why each shouldn't also have other degrading (and variable?) effects on combat performance as well.

Some variety of terrain that degrades weapons tracking (a natural source of ECM), or the flight endurance / self-guidance of seeking weapons, would also add originality and tension to a battle. Combine one or more of those effects with the one which impairs flux venting, and both sides could be in serious trouble even before the first shot is fired. Once you add some ship or fixed installation that must be rescued or attacked within such an area, you've got yourself one exciting and unpredictable situation; where staying "out of the soup" is not an option.
We thought our last moment had come
when we got a message up the voice pipe
saying that 'A' Turret magazine was on fire.....

theShadow

• Lieutenant
  • Power Overwhelming
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2011, 11:00:39 AM »

Random encounters! In the spaaaaaaaaace

Here's an idea. when you enter into a battle, how about instead of going to a new "battle area", you stay in the same place, and it just adds borders to where you are.

Or at least, make the battle screen look the same as the place you were before. The idea would be to make the transition from exploration to battle seamless.

Best regards.

Quote from: Archon
Why has a developer ever needed any reason other than "it looks bloody awesome"?

I do 3D modeling and map creation for an open source fps called xonotic

tinsoldier

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2011, 06:24:08 PM »

Random encounters! In the spaaaaaaaaace

Here's an idea. when you enter into a battle, how about instead of going to a new "battle area", you stay in the same place, and it just adds borders to where you are.

Or at least, make the battle screen look the same as the place you were before. The idea would be to make the transition from exploration to battle seamless.

Best regards.

[homerDrool]OH man.. cruising around space, bartering and picking up loot in my Apogee... [/homerDrool]

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2011, 08:16:03 PM »

A different varient of a nebula which puts a strain on flux would be cool.  A hazard which only the brave would journey through.
I intended to make a similar but not identical suggestion. While nebulas should included that feature which impairs flux dissipation (among other perils)

Like running into Cthullu or one of the similarily insane and idiot gods?
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

Qloos

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2011, 08:43:46 PM »

Call me crazy, but I want a map with nothing, no dust, no rocks, no nebula, no objectives.  Plain canvis.

CommComms

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2011, 09:44:10 PM »

Call me crazy, but I want a map with nothing, no dust, no rocks, no nebula, no objectives.  Plain canvis.

That's crazy.  You're crazy!
Pages: 1 [2]