Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ring menu  (Read 2480 times)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Ring menu
« on: December 03, 2012, 10:10:43 AM »

The new command interface is great, but there's one thing that I don't like. All orders have been moved to the lower right corner. That's a bit slow to use and not very intuitive. Why no let the orders pop up directly around the ship they concern? That way your cursors and focus is right on them if you click a ship.

Doesn't have to be a ring and the exact arrangement of buttons is obviously up to the designer, it's just about the positioning besides the ship you clicked on instead of a fixed location.

Has this any drawbacks I'm overlooking?
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Ring menu
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 10:13:54 AM »

Well I suppose it would be neat, but what if you select several ships? And would it not clutter the screen?

I for one never use those buttons anyways, quickkeys ftw.

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 10:43:10 AM »

For multiple ships just have it either appear around one ship or have it scale larger to fit the ships selected inside of it.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 10:44:33 AM »

I agree that the buttons are in a weird place - I've ended up using the right click a lot more than I thought just so I wouldn't have to move the mouse all the way down there. I thought the pop-up menu from previous versions was pretty good...

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 10:48:02 AM »

The idea is that an experienced player will use the shortcuts almost exclusively. I actually considered a ring layout, but it's troublesome - buttons potentially being on top of something you might want to right-click on, handling selecting something near the edge of the screen (or that gets moved near the edge of the screen after being selected), etc.

The popup menu in the previous version could work the way it did because there was no right-click to give orders, and it was functionally a modal dialog.

Edit: btw, I appreciate you taking the time to make mockups for your UI suggestions - seeing something concrete is very helpful.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 10:54:34 AM by Alex »

Aleskander

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 11:41:39 AM »

I like it how it is, but i only ever use 2 or 3 commands and have the shortcuts memorized.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 03:43:29 PM »

The idea is that an experienced player will use the shortcuts almost exclusively. I actually considered a ring layout, but it's troublesome - buttons potentially being on top of something you might want to right-click on, handling selecting something near the edge of the screen (or that gets moved near the edge of the screen after being selected), etc.

The popup menu in the previous version could work the way it did because there was no right-click to give orders, and it was functionally a modal dialog.

Edit: btw, I appreciate you taking the time to make mockups for your UI suggestions - seeing something concrete is very helpful.
I don't get the edge of the screen problem, since the edge moves with your cursor it will never be in the way. The real edge of the screen is far away from the battlefield after all.
And the buttons being in the way of a right click could be zoomed away, since the ring menu diameter is constant while the visible distance between ships changes. It's admittedly not perfect, but a occasional zoom is still faster than a regular slide to the edge.
Ok, movement would be another problem with this. Hm.

For multiple ships I'd say have the ring appear near the ship that was closed to your cursor after selecting to have the shortest way. You cant give orders via buttons to multiple ships anyway, only with right click.

Well, but shortcuts are the way to go obviously, so it's not a very high priority problem.
Mh, I guess than I have to rebind. I don't get how one is supposed to get his hand from ADSW all the way to L without looking away from the screen.

By the way, is there a way to rebind the campaign menu shortcuts hidden in some .ini or such? Got the same problem with them.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 05:58:14 PM by Gothars »
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

DelicateTask

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 11:17:21 AM »

I was somewhat annoyed by the distance to the buttons, but I had memorized most of the hotkeys from previous UI versions, so it's not so bad, plus, the right-click system is nice and intuitive. I did like the idea of the ring menu, but after reading objections that it could cover things or have multi-select issues, I agree that maybe the current method is best.

However, I would like to see more information on the selected ship in the lower left corner. It's a little bare right now.