Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: fleeing ships  (Read 3067 times)

TheHappyFace

• Admiral
  • The critic
    • View Profile
fleeing ships
« on: December 03, 2012, 10:15:12 AM »

whenever i am on my own fighting a single ships.
the ships flees at the end of the battle and due to it being faster it can out-run me.
this is not the problem i am talking about.
the problem or maybe better called glitch is that when this happens i can just simply press "esc" ,leave battle and end up disabling the enemy ship,
while otherwise it would have simply out ran me and retreated before i could destroy him.
Fractalsoftworks limited edition ban hammer.

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: fleeing ships
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 10:20:07 AM »

When you Esc you autoresolve the battle with the remaining ships. Not taking position into account.

TheHappyFace

• Admiral
  • The critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 10:32:16 AM »

therefor giving me a glitch

edit: which i am abusing atm
Fractalsoftworks limited edition ban hammer.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 10:44:19 AM »

Does this *always* happen, or do the ships mostly end up retreating, and only occasionally get wrecked? Regardless of how the battle ends, retreating ships on the losing end take some free shots - so there's a chance of this happening even if you don't auto-resolve.

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 10:48:24 AM »

Happens all of the time. If you autoresolve when there is just afew fleeing ships left, they are just about always destroyed. I think ive used it afew times in my LP.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 10:52:32 AM »

Ah, thanks. That's not supposed to happen, then - the game is supposed to track that stuff was retreating and not stuffing it back into an autoresolve battle. I'll take a look when I get a chance.

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 03:48:04 PM »

Alex, let me shed some light here since this is an issue on both sides.

First, if you put a retreat order and autoresolve before it actually shows you the prompt that the ship left the battle, autoresolve counts that ship as an active participant in the battle. Same in the issue said above, if there are damaged fighter wings left and fleeing for example, a common occurrence start-game, you can auto-resolve and you'll almost certainly get them even if you could not do it otherwise. Same for example can happen when you have a super slow ship and cannot get in range of say a Hound. If you auto-resolve and you're in a sufficiently powerful ship, the game just assumes you'd win while in fact, you'd never be able to touch it.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 08:03:15 PM »

Thanks. Yeah, definitely sounds like the code that's supposed to keep retreating ships out of the subsequent autoresolve isn't working rght.