Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: 50% damage reduction on selfship  (Read 4808 times)

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
50% damage reduction on selfship
« on: December 01, 2012, 12:16:19 PM »

I've been playing with it on so far but i can't help but feel like i'm cheating sometimes, especially in 1vs1 hound battles, and given the fact i like smaller-scale battles, i usually end up feeling like i am abusing this option. So, what's the official word on it. Is it a tempfix for something else, will it dissapear in the final build?

How is the game supposed to be played in the dev-team's vision? :)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: 50% damage reduction on selfship
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 12:17:13 PM »

Well if you feel like you're cheating, turn it off :P It does make the game a little more forgiving for new people though.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 12:17:57 PM »

Think of it as "training wheels". The game is intended to be played on full damage, but learning combat mechanics at 50% damage is a bit more forgiving. It (or something similar) will probably remain in the final build.

jimy

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 12:27:13 PM »

That's why I have disabled it right away.
It's like playing Mount and Blade on 25% damage.

It is just false in my opinion and you learn the combat way better when you get blown up 100 times.

Hypilein

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 01:26:41 PM »

I don't really see the reason for discussion here. If you don't want it you turn it off. It's the same with Iron Mode, which got implemented just so some people who don't like "save-scumming" can just turn off the option at all. If you don't like it just choose the reasonable option.

That said, I took some time to actually find out about the 100% option and didn't realise from the start that I was playing on 50%. It might be nice to inform newer Players in some way, either by asking on each Character creation or by making the option more prominent in some other way.

Drevend

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 08:38:51 PM »

I agree with Hypilein that I didn't realize I was playing on 50% damage either until after poking around. At the very least, it could be a tip that shows up on the title screen.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 12:11:52 AM »

maybe at one point (say when the player has 3 ships or more), the game spawns a pop-up that basically says "did you know the training wheels have been on all this time?" and allows them to turn it off if if they want to.
mmm.... tartiflette

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 01:43:57 AM »

I think it should pop-up the first time you fire the game and clarify which setting is the game supposed to be played with in the author vision: right now is kind of hidden.

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 08:12:59 AM »

I find it kind of funny that people don't know about it because the first thing I do when firing up a game is look at everything in the options menu. It doesn't take long and you always benefit from it, even if it's just learning what the keybinds are.

Pu239

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 03:56:55 PM »

Do you have to start a new game for this to take effect? I started with it on half but changed it to full and I can't really tell the difference. I mean I do seem to be taking on more flux from shield hits but it doesn't feel like double.

Axiege

• Admiral
  • What a brave and loving name.
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 06:47:28 PM »

I find it kind of funny that people don't know about it because the first thing I do when firing up a game is look at everything in the options menu. It doesn't take long and you always benefit from it, even if it's just learning what the keybinds are.

Very few people will do that, personally I like jumping into a game blind and figuring out the control while playing, and the only time I'll read instructions first is when I've got a new physical game and something is preventing me from playing it so I torture myself with the anticipation. I imagine I'm a lot like the impatient majority in that aspect.

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 06:57:33 PM »

In my case, i am like the guy above, checking options before i jump in and get needlessly frustrated. See Diablo3's 'optional' skillpicker. But in this particular case i didn't knew how the game was /supposed/ to be played, but have since rectified that.

MidnightSun

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 08:38:35 PM »

I think a good place to incorporate a "popup" would be in the character creation process; with a bit of creativity you can slip it in quite seamlessly (ie, something asking about your experience, with a small annotation that the choices correspond to damage reduction on the piloted ship).

Axiege

• Admiral
  • What a brave and loving name.
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 09:38:01 PM »

I think a good place to incorporate a "popup" would be in the character creation process; with a bit of creativity you can slip it in quite seamlessly (ie, something asking about your experience, with a small annotation that the choices correspond to damage reduction on the piloted ship).

No annotation, the character creation process is brilliant because it doesn't tell you what the choices do. Otherwise this is a good idea, although I wouldn't want Alex to tell me if he implements it  ;D