Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Free discussion 54a: Missiles  (Read 13827 times)

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Free discussion 54a: Missiles
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2012, 04:30:24 AM »

And given how the enemies LOVE to raise shields at 95% flux right after you launch your Harpoon making it useless, ammo problems go even further.

This is actually when I precisely love to launch my missiles. If the AI is close to overloading and I launch missiles, then there are two outcomes for it.
It will either:

A: Raise shields, at which I will then pummel their shield with my kinetics if my missile has hit it, or hasn't hit it yet, either way causing the AI to overload, thus giving my HE rounds leisure time to blow out the armor.

B: If they don't raise their shields, they're pretty much screwed because a missile just hit them and blew out a chunk of their armor.

Aside from them shooting the missile down (Good luck with getting a good rate of fire at 95% flux), they're almost always screwed at that point when I shoot my missile. I call the move 'checkmate' for obvious reasons.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 04:32:10 AM by Flare »
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2012, 08:42:37 AM »

Sabots and Swarmers are murderers.
That is all.
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

erynr73

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2012, 10:45:17 AM »

Love or hate, there is something extremely satisfying about firing a reaper "from the hip" and hitting your target who was otherwise venting at a "I thought this was safe" distance.

The Ram and Fire reaper tactic is fun too.

YAZF

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2012, 11:26:18 AM »

I love using missiles and I love the perks that have been added for them in .54a. My one big complaint is that missile launch speed are independent of your ship speed. I've been in situations where I launch slow missiles (mainly talking about annihilators here) from a ship while I rush toward the enemy and have them stay in my ship so long they run out of fuel and hit my own ship. If I'm going fast and launch a missile it should have a faster initial launch speed.
Dear Alex,
There should be a battlestation/star fortress fight in the main menu mission mode.  :)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2012, 11:59:11 AM »

I love using missiles and I love the perks that have been added for them in .54a. My one big complaint is that missile launch speed are independent of your ship speed. I've been in situations where I launch slow missiles (mainly talking about annihilators here) from a ship while I rush toward the enemy and have them stay in my ship so long they run out of fuel and hit my own ship. If I'm going fast and launch a missile it should have a faster initial launch speed.

This.... with the top level piloting perk an Enforcer goes at around 350 under burn - Annihilators are a lot slower, even with the missile perks speeding them up.

DelicateTask

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2012, 01:35:27 PM »

Okay, so this finally pushed me to doing something I've been thinking of: making all mounts on the Conquest universal. To me, it makes sense. The Conquest is a midline ship, able to handle both energy and ballistic weapons, so why not anywhere? And why not turn into a giant missile rack? That's what I'm going to do, and that's what I'm going to post after I try it. Missiles away!

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
  • O' Hear My Name and Tremble! Ug Ug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2012, 02:28:51 PM »

Dear lord...

The sheer number of pilums this could fill the battlefield with...

Would be insane.

"GEDUNE, stop venting in front of your classmates!"

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2012, 07:19:24 PM »

Okay, so this finally pushed me to doing something I've been thinking of: making all mounts on the Conquest universal. To me, it makes sense. The Conquest is a midline ship, able to handle both energy and ballistic weapons, so why not anywhere? And why not turn into a giant missile rack? That's what I'm going to do, and that's what I'm going to post after I try it. Missiles away!

dude, you need to post a mod like that with ship all been given universal slots. the fun we could have with that it insane

dogboy123

• Captain
  • Boron military barracuda
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2012, 08:36:10 PM »

It's not exactly a missile, but I love the Proximity Charge Launcher. I have them on my Onslaught and one will take out a whole wing of bombers, or a swarm of missiles.
"I'm expecting an all-out tactical dogfight... followed by a light dinner.

DelicateTask

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2012, 08:26:05 AM »

Okay, so I put missiles all over the all-universal Conquest, and it was okay. Still not enough missile-y goodness for the OP, in my opinion, and it kept trying to chase after ships to attack them with the PD lasers. However, I also tried a build with heavy blasters and plasma cannons on only one side, and that thing can solo the SDF.

Anyways, my point is, even with a ton of pilums and MIRVs firing all the time, the results were less than spectacular. Versus an Onslaught, even with all missiles firing, only a few reached the target, only to hit the shields and do nothing. Smaller ships just dodged the missiles.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2012, 08:41:02 AM »

Mod a Salamander MRM into the game with a burst size of 150, with an ammo capacity of 300.

I call it the "Phoenix"
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
  • O' Hear My Name and Tremble! Ug Ug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2012, 03:38:35 PM »

Okay, so I put missiles all over the all-universal Conquest, and it was okay. Still not enough missile-y goodness for the OP, in my opinion, and it kept trying to chase after ships to attack them with the PD lasers. However, I also tried a build with heavy blasters and plasma cannons on only one side, and that thing can solo the SDF.

Anyways, my point is, even with a ton of pilums and MIRVs firing all the time, the results were less than spectacular. Versus an Onslaught, even with all missiles firing, only a few reached the target, only to hit the shields and do nothing. Smaller ships just dodged the missiles.

Very good points, but in a support role, such a ship would be devistating. Annihilators?

"GEDUNE, stop venting in front of your classmates!"

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2012, 03:55:25 PM »

Anyone else got a problem with the missile hullmods being in the combat aptitude?  I can't really build great missile support carriers with racks and ECCM for my big fleet :(
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2012, 05:12:46 PM »

I personally hate navigation in technology, but them's the stops i guess. Still, it's not a fleetwide effect, so i think it's rightly put in Combat.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2012, 05:29:47 PM »

Anyone else got a problem with the missile hullmods being in the combat aptitude?  I can't really build great missile support carriers with racks and ECCM for my big fleet :(

I don't mind that they are in combat - I mind that ECCM is a 7. Even though I love it, I've never used it in any of my games so far... I don't think the last 5 ranks in missiles are at all worth it - no ship has enough missiles to warrant that many points!

If the base effect - the increase in missile speed and turning - was a fleetwide effect (and I think that thematically it should be) the higher ranks would be worth it completely!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4