Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Free discussion 54a: Missiles  (Read 13914 times)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Re: Free discussion 54a: Missiles
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2012, 06:04:30 PM »

Anyone else got a problem with the missile hullmods being in the combat aptitude?  I can't really build great missile support carriers with racks and ECCM for my big fleet :(

I don't mind that they are in combat - I mind that ECCM is a 7. Even though I love it, I've never used it in any of my games so far... I don't think the last 5 ranks in missiles are at all worth it - no ship has enough missiles to warrant that many points!

If the base effect - the increase in missile speed and turning - was a fleetwide effect (and I think that thematically it should be) the higher ranks would be worth it completely!

Mh...I've got the feeling the missile skill was primarily designed with strike missiles/torpedos in mind. For those the +50% dmg at lvl 10 is almost worth it.

But while some missiles are good strike weapons, missiles are also the support weapons in the game (together with beams maybe). I think that fleets that don't actively seek combat benefit most from those missiles. Condors, Mules, Ventures - all missile heavy ships, all ships you might see in trade or mining fleets. And those are fleets of a player character who will likely not level up the combat aptitude. You end up in a situation where many of your ships have (support) missile weapons but you've got no way to increase their performance. So I'm all for fleet wide missile bonuses, but in another aptitude.

Or at least an alternative hullmod should be offered. For example something that is to expanded missile racks like the unstable injector is to the augmented engines. It could expand the capacity but add a trigger delay of ~5 sec, that would make it unsuitable for the likes of Reapers and Harpoons but great for Pillums and Salamanders.

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]