Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Things you didn't expect from starsector  (Read 34020 times)

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
Things you didn't expect from starsector
« on: November 25, 2012, 04:15:37 PM »

Thought I would start this because its mostly funny.

I didn't expect to be able to kill an onslaught with an omen and take no hull damage.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 12:01:24 PM by ArkAngel »
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
Re: Things you didn't expect from starfarer.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 05:09:48 PM »

I did not expect to kill an Onslaught in a Hound.

Spoiler
And my expectation came true. I died.  8)
[close]

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 05:23:37 PM »

I didn't expect my new faction to work flawlessly right of the bat!

Spoiler
Sadly it didn't, but it was a nice though
[close]

ArkAngel

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 08:36:14 PM »

I didn't expect iron mode to make me more addicted.
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

Aleskander

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 09:18:45 PM »

I didn't expect for the Odyssey to be so good. I never really played it before, but on my new savegame it's been kicking the but out of the SDF

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
  • O' Hear My Name and Tremble! Ug Ug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 03:32:20 AM »

I didn't expect this update.

Spoiler
so soontm
[close]

"GEDUNE, stop venting in front of your classmates!"

ArkAngel

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 05:10:53 AM »

I wasn't expecting fighters to be so durable.

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 09:40:40 AM »

I didn't expect to like the Afflictor, but I've actually discovered its usefulness now. It's nice if you want a high-tech ship, but can't afford the more expensive frigates or Medusa. It only really shines when you pilot it yourself, but that's fine. I still prefer the Tempest because it's fast and hella durable (and I love that Terminator drone), but the Afflictor is much more affordable and is easily a step up from anything but a Wolf.

Btw, the Paragon with +50% OP is ridiculously good. Pretty much everything is, actually. Tech is definitely the way to go.

Temjin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 12:02:41 PM »

I didn't expect to like the Afflictor, but I've actually discovered its usefulness now. It's nice if you want a high-tech ship, but can't afford the more expensive frigates or Medusa. It only really shines when you pilot it yourself, but that's fine. I still prefer the Tempest because it's fast and hella durable (and I love that Terminator drone), but the Afflictor is much more affordable and is easily a step up from anything but a Wolf.

Btw, the Paragon with +50% OP is ridiculously good. Pretty much everything is, actually. Tech is definitely the way to go.

I run very small fleets, so I'm enjoying zipping around in a 390+ OP Conquest with some pretty crazy speed and combat benefits. The faster projectiles skill thingy makes Large ballistic weapons extra nasty.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 12:44:11 PM »

I was not expecting a unfinished little 1-(fulltime)man 10$ java game to become my number one game and pull me into it's community so far that it's now my go-to place on the internet. Seriously, wtf.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 04:54:53 AM by Gothars »
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

ArkAngel

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 01:11:15 PM »

I wasn't expecting to have such a great community and the vigilance frigate to be able to tank at least a cruisers dps.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 01:16:46 PM by ArkAngel »

Aleskander

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 01:22:03 PM »

I was not expecting a unfinished little 1-(fulltime)man 10$ flash game to become my number one game and pull me into it's community so far that it's now my go-to place on the internet. Seriously, wtf.
This. I'm not nearly as into it as some people, but i never expected to play it as much as I have.

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 01:45:49 PM »

That starfarer is actually really good.

ArkAngel

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2012, 01:57:55 PM »

I wasn't expecting starfarer to have this much replayability

That starfarer is actually really good.
This comment is good.  ;D

Doom101

• Admiral
  • Doom will always find you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2012, 04:39:41 PM »

I was not expecting a unfinished little 1-(fulltime)man 10$ flash game to become my number one game and pull me into it's community so far that it's now my go-to place on the internet. Seriously, wtf.

in so few words.
this exactly

However i did not expect to like low tech ballistic weapons as much considering i love to wear down my enemies with never ending fire.
Spoiler
spoiler alert, low tech is just as good as energy weapons
[close]

and one last one i never expected the AI to be so smart and such a damned hero.
Spoiler
my first game in .54 i finally got ahold of a condor for my ever growing fleet of talons when we got ambushed by a pirate carrier group sporting 2 broadsword wings a talon wing a bomber wing and a few other things realizing we couldn't possibly win the  fight i ordered a full retreat the majority of the fleet ran toward the bottom where we had come in. but the enemy fleet was on our tail i turned my lasher around to make sure the condor made it out and as i rode behind it a single talon wing sporting only 1 fighter flew past me drawing fire from every damn enemy ship and flew towards the top drawing everything but one of the broadswords to follow it. that talon let us all get out of there scott free. and he made it out too barely i made sure that man got a steak dinner at the captains table and a promotion.
[close]

When you can't go on, just accept your doom. It comes to all, it is inevitable.

Also I totally had the name BEFORE the cruiser.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6