Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The Sensor Dish  (Read 6263 times)

DelicateTask

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: The Sensor Dish
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2013, 05:28:55 PM »

...you'd have to make a choice: Do I want an extra weapon to dish out damage or something that provides some kind of ability that I wouldn't otherwise have?
But I think that is already handled by the whole Ordinance Points system. You can have more weapons, or you can have hullmods that provide bonuses you wouldn't otherwise have. It's the same thing.

That said, I wouldn't mind the ability to place purely cosmetic items in unused weapon slots.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2013, 05:39:40 PM »

and overlap with hullmods in potentially weird places.

That part stays true, though. We would have to find some very distinct difference between hullmods and equipment in weapon slots.

Mhhh.....maybe hullmods only influence the ship that has them equipped, while all slot-equipment influences other ships? Weapons in a direct way, utility in some indirect way. EG the "Triangulation Dome" improves the weapon range of surrounding allies, the "Mirage Projector" causes enemy PD to fire at empty space.

But I think that is already handled by the whole Ordinance Points system. You can have more weapons, or you can have hullmods that provide bonuses you wouldn't otherwise have. It's the same thing.

That's true for OP, but slots are another important resource of a hull. I often found myself in a situation where I had more then enough OP but not enough slots to use them optimally.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Sordid

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2013, 06:25:44 PM »

...you'd have to make a choice: Do I want an extra weapon to dish out damage or something that provides some kind of ability that I wouldn't otherwise have?

That said, I wouldn't mind the ability to place purely cosmetic items in unused weapon slots.

It's not entirely the same thing. You can increase the number of ordinance points via skills, for example, but you can't increase the number of hardpoints. Hull mods could also be expensive in different ways. Perhaps a hull mod costs some OPs and a hardpoint too. That's a lot to pay for a mod, it better be pretty good. Or it might require only a hardpoint and no OPs, so it costs you in a different way than standard hull mods. It's a way to add more diversity and give the player more options.
For example, you can't currently expand your cargo capacity in any way that I know of. It doesn't really make sense to have a skill or a hull mod for that, there's only so much space inside a ship, you can't just magically inflate it. If you want to carry more cargo than fits in your ship, you have to go over capacity, basically strapping the extra stuff to the outside of the ship, and run the risk of an accident as a result. Suppose there was a hardpoint-mountable external cargo container. You could use that to expand your cargo capacity without risking an accident (since it's actually properly attached and not just strapped on with duct tape). The downside is that now you have a cargo container where a gun used to be, and if it gets hit in combat it's going to be destroyed along with everything in it. So it still costs you and there's still risk for carrying more stuff than you should normally be able to, but it's a different kind of risk.

But yeah, I think that unused hardpoints should be automatically covered by some kind of protective cap. You don't want to leave all that machinery exposed

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2013, 07:07:28 PM »

I would love it to death if ships had utility hardpoints. It does add more clutter though and overlap with hullmods in potentially weird places.

I basically think of hull mods and weapons as the same thing: stuff that costs OP and makes your ship better. The only difference is one needs a hardpoint and one doesn't. So I don't think the clutter is really a problem...

but my suggestion is mainly about covering up those ugly empty hardpoints, with a token bonus used to comfort those people (like me) who are too obsessed with playing optimally. Glad to see where this discussion is going though, maybe we should get a thread in the suggestion board?
mmm.... tartiflette

DelicateTask

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2013, 11:16:30 PM »

That's true for OP, but slots are another important resource of a hull. I often found myself in a situation where I had more then enough OP but not enough slots to use them optimally.
Which is also a case against weapon slot fillers. There are few enough already, so why fill them with random stuff?

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2013, 11:18:02 PM »

because to some there are still too many

options never hurt anybody, eh?
mmm.... tartiflette

Doom101

• Admiral
  • Doom will always find you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2013, 08:06:24 AM »

Which is also a case against weapon slot fillers. There are few enough already, so why fill them with random stuff?

i think they want something that is mostly cosmetic to cover up empty slots left over by "optimal" loadouts that use up all your op on some weapons and hullmods leaving behind one or more empty slots but with no OP left over, so they want like "armor cap" to fit over it that costs 0 op but gives literally no benefits other than making your ship look better.
When you can't go on, just accept your doom. It comes to all, it is inevitable.

Also I totally had the name BEFORE the cruiser.

Draba

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2013, 09:25:40 AM »

I would love it to death if ships had utility hardpoints.

I would love to see something like that, another nice source of variety.
Something like giving up a large turret is a pretty tough choice but could reward you
with interesting bonuses that are not available anywhere else.

Plasmatic

• Admiral
  • Curious no?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2013, 02:12:05 PM »

perhaps having something looking like a radar dish spinning on the ship giving a much larger field of view on the tactical map..

Or if the campaign fleets are ever concealed, this radar dish could serve as a way to get a hint as it were to the layout of a fleet?

The possibilities are literally endless..
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
- Maurice Switzer
Pages: 1 [2]