Fractal Softworks Forum
November 17, 2018, 02:24:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Starsector 0.9a is out! (11/16/18)

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: Limit Theory: An Infinite, Procedural Space Game  (Read 15479 times)
Nanao-kun
Admiral

View Profile Email
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2015, 06:22:22 PM »

A blank sheet of paper is also a complete sandbox with no restriction and infinite potential, but it is not generally something to be excited about.
But a blank sheet of paper doesn't procedurally generate anything at all in the first place. Except maybe grow mold. Tongue
Ahne
Captain

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2015, 01:52:44 PM »

the developer is back into work

http://forums.ltheory.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4492

Cheesy

xenoargh
Admiral

Not a super-villain in real life.

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2015, 02:26:59 PM »

Ouch.  That is what burnout looks like.  Been there, although never that bad  Tongue

Check out my SS projects Smiley
samsaq
Ensign

View Profile Email
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2015, 06:37:51 PM »

I've been considering buying the game for a while now, and the only thing that's stopped me is the whole, infinite universe, and no way to actually win, (which is part of the charm for some people) which is kinda the reason why I don't play Elite: Dangerous all that much anymore, I don't feel that I could make a difference in a world of 40 billion stars.(nothing against Elite/ Limit Theory they bot have insane potential to entertain) This makes multiplayer space games like Star Citizen  much more up my alley.(As an example for the whole you can change the universe thing, me and several thousand players have signed up for an organized invasion of an entire faction in the game, called Operation Pitchfork where players will invade several star systems to take out and board Vanduul war fleets (clan-based pirate aliens loosely based of the mongols) and loot ships that will otherwise never be available to normal players)
Groufac
Ensign

View Profile Email
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2017, 08:24:54 PM »

The dangers of passion projects: Staying sane in indie development http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-03-28-the-dangers-of-passion-projects-staying-sane-in-indie-development
SCC
Admiral

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2017, 01:45:36 PM »

It's good to see that the game's still out there! And that the dev didn't go insane, yeah. Still... So much time.

JohnDoe
Captain

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2018, 11:41:36 PM »

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/joshparnell/limit-theory-an-infinite-procedural-space-game/posts/2270873
It's over
Cik
Admiral

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2018, 02:13:19 PM »

f
Thaago
Admiral

Quantum Mechanic

View Profile Email
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2018, 04:25:28 PM »

Its sad, but not unexpected. I reread the 'risks and challenges' part of the initial post and cringed at 'only' needing to develop algorithms and gameplay. Ouch.
Tartiflette
Admiral

Kickstarter is NOT a magic spring of free money!

View Profile Email
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2018, 01:54:11 AM »

I'm waiting for the source code release though.
Maybe someone that is actually good at managing a whole project will pick this up. Josh was way too scatterbrained for his own good. Imagine if Pioneer was made using this kind of engine!

Sabaton
Captain

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2018, 01:00:47 PM »

Not surprised in the slightest, game was rewritten from scratch at least once (afaik), no dev videos for years, huge hiatus a while back, a small team where one dev left months ago, super technical dev logs that have never shown an actual game, etc,etc.

The only tangible thing this guy ever made was that demo for a game event a while back and looking at the kickstarter page now I can't believe anyone actually bought what this guy was selling....No Mans Limit.

I was hooked at first but about one/two years ago I (and many others apparently) realized this wasn't gonna happen and began to treat it as just a curiosity. The forums took it lightly, probably because all the annoyed/disappointed people tried to refund and left years ago, leaving only the believers.

A cautionary tale.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 01:02:35 PM by Sabaton » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: