Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Limit Theory: An Infinite, Procedural Space Game  (Read 27124 times)

Nanao-kun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Limit Theory: An Infinite, Procedural Space Game
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2015, 06:22:22 PM »

A blank sheet of paper is also a complete sandbox with no restriction and infinite potential, but it is not generally something to be excited about.
But a blank sheet of paper doesn't procedurally generate anything at all in the first place. Except maybe grow mold. :P

Ahne

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2015, 01:52:44 PM »

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2015, 02:26:59 PM »

Ouch.  That is what burnout looks like.  Been there, although never that bad  :P
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

samsaq

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2015, 06:37:51 PM »

I've been considering buying the game for a while now, and the only thing that's stopped me is the whole, infinite universe, and no way to actually win, (which is part of the charm for some people) which is kinda the reason why I don't play Elite: Dangerous all that much anymore, I don't feel that I could make a difference in a world of 40 billion stars.(nothing against Elite/ Limit Theory they bot have insane potential to entertain) This makes multiplayer space games like Star Citizen  much more up my alley.(As an example for the whole you can change the universe thing, me and several thousand players have signed up for an organized invasion of an entire faction in the game, called Operation Pitchfork where players will invade several star systems to take out and board Vanduul war fleets (clan-based pirate aliens loosely based of the mongols) and loot ships that will otherwise never be available to normal players)

Groufac

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2017, 08:24:54 PM »

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2017, 01:45:36 PM »

It's good to see that the game's still out there! And that the dev didn't go insane, yeah. Still... So much time.

Cik

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2018, 02:13:19 PM »

f

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2018, 04:25:28 PM »

Its sad, but not unexpected. I reread the 'risks and challenges' part of the initial post and cringed at 'only' needing to develop algorithms and gameplay. Ouch.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2018, 01:54:11 AM »

I'm waiting for the source code release though.
Maybe someone that is actually good at managing a whole project will pick this up. Josh was way too scatterbrained for his own good. Imagine if Pioneer was made using this kind of engine!

Sabaton

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2018, 01:00:47 PM »

Not surprised in the slightest, game was rewritten from scratch at least once (afaik), no dev videos for years, huge hiatus a while back, a small team where one dev left months ago, super technical dev logs that have never shown an actual game, etc,etc.

The only tangible thing this guy ever made was that demo for a game event a while back and looking at the kickstarter page now I can't believe anyone actually bought what this guy was selling....No Mans Limit.

I was hooked at first but about one/two years ago I (and many others apparently) realized this wasn't gonna happen and began to treat it as just a curiosity. The forums took it lightly, probably because all the annoyed/disappointed people tried to refund and left years ago, leaving only the believers.

A cautionary tale.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 01:02:35 PM by Sabaton »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]