Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: If i have a phobia (hopefully not!) what would be the best way to get it over?  (Read 9242 times)

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile

Hehe, not many of you know this (probably none! ;)) but i am really, really getting scared over stuff i usually wouldn't get scared of. I jump to wrong conclusions, and mostly blame the paranormal almost immediately, unless i go and investigate what caused the sound further. I think this might be slightly related to me watching wayyy too many paranormal investigation groups, but i don't know for sure.

Any of you guys that can help out? And don't bring religion into this, though.

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Spend night on cemetery alone.
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile

Spend night on cemetery alone.

Serious answers only, please.

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Serious answers only, please.
That WAS serious answer. Oh I see, that is your jumping to conclusion thing :P
Creator of:

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile

That WAS serious answer. Oh I see, that is your jumping to conclusion thing :P

Yeah. I don't want to spend the night on the cementery. I'd probably die, if not of my fear, but then of the cold weather. I want something more practical that involves me dying less. :P

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Yeah. I don't want to spend the night on the cementery. I'd probably die, if not of my fear, but then of the cold weather. I want something more practical that involves me dying less. :P
You wouldn't die. But after that you would feel like superman!
Best way to beat up fear is to face it.
Creator of:

erynr73

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Yeah I get hooked to paranormal investigation shows too.  Although they don't make me more jumpy at noises, they just make me want to do my own investigations.  Actually watching all those shows makes me better at debunking random noises.  As for getting over phobias, not sure how to help there since I don't have any phobias.  I would try exposing yourself to the phobia in question with people you trust.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile

Rationalise your fears :D
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I was reading about phobias on wikipedia the other day. The best thing you can do is confront the fear and verbalize (like, actually say out loud) what exactly it is that frightens you. Asking yourself questions like "What's the worst that could happen to me?" is a good idea (movie logic does not apply). When you hear how irrational the thoughts are, their power is diminished. Avoiding or suppressing the fear can have the opposite effect. Cold, hard logic is the bane of irrational fear.

You don't have to overcome the fear immediately, but work towards gradually reducing the fear until it has no power over you.

I actually have a phobia of hearts. Like actual hearts, not the silly little <3 type things. I'm aware of it and can deal with it, but I get incredibly uncomfortable if I'm continually exposed to hearts, either seeing hearts or hearing heartbeats. I also encounter the problem with shows like House if I watch too many episodes in a row. Playing Dishonored is like a minor hell for me. Even typing the word heart over and over again is making me slightly uncomfortable. But I don't let it control me. I let the feeling happen and just continue doing whatever the hell I'm doing.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Stop watching garbage shows, and let logical rational reasoning take its place.

- Paranormal doesn't exist
- God The supernatural doesn't exist (at least, not in the sense that most understand it.)

The only* thing you should fear is ceasing to exist, and as that is an inevitability - I'd advise against pondering on it for too long.

:edit:

Rephrased to avoid the religion debate.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 05:30:33 PM by TJJ »

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile

And don't bring religion into this, though.

sirboomalot

• Admiral
  • Boom
    • View Profile

The best way to deal with a fear is to face it. I used to be afraid of bees, would just about run at the sight of them, and then my parents decided to get a couple of beehives.

I am no longer afraid of bees.

Your turn.

sdmike1

• Admiral
  • Dyslexics of the world, untie!
    • View Profile

The best way to deal with a fear is to face it. I used to be afraid of bees, would just about run at the sight of them, and then my parents decided to get a couple of beehives.

I am no longer afraid of bees.

Your turn.
8{

but in all seriousness, check out what ever you think may be a "ghost" "shade" or *insert paranormal activity here* untill you are sure-ish that it is not

8{    <-- is the teddy Roosevelt emotocon, used to denote exceptionally manly things 8)

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile

.....The only* thing you should fear is ceasing to exist, and as that is an inevitability - I'd advise against pondering on it for too long.

I did this, it made me be unable to sleep, think straight and cry a lot for three months straight, DONY DO IT, it's honestly no laughing matter if you obsess over this subject, especially as an atheist :/
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile

Only thing im afraid of is probably the though of " im going to die in 70 or so years... and im never going to come back.. buhhue i dont want to die!  :'("  but then again i think afterwards that "70 years is A VERY long time and thinking about it is just stupid" and i calm down after that, and im probably going to be tired of life by then aswell.  ;D

I've probably pondered on that matter to long, i get so depressed.
Pages: [1] 2 3