Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Alternate sprites for small weapons in medium slots  (Read 1634 times)

Gabrybbo

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Alternate sprites for small weapons in medium slots
« on: November 20, 2012, 12:36:07 AM »

Right now when we put a small weapon in a medium slot (or a medium weapon in a large slot) we can clearly see that the weapon wasn't designed to fit in it, it's too small and looks "wierd".
So i thought "Why don't we have a way to define alternate sprites for each weapon when it's used in a larger slot?", and it looked like a good idea.  :)

What do you think?  :D
...you can be assured that whatever comes out of the dev-oven will be fantastic and delicious. And it will also include frosting and sprinkles.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Re: Alternate sprites for small weapons in medium slots
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 01:23:59 AM »

I dont think they look bad, sometimes even better than the correct sized weapons. Wepons in SF are generally much too big for the scale.

But if they were to be modified something like an adapter sprite would make more sense than to draw new versions of ever single small and medium weapon.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

FlashFrozen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 11:51:40 AM »

I'm not sure for sure, but if you check the Mjolnir sprite files/code you can see that there is a baseplate sprite, maybe as an additional option in the weapon code, we could have a 'undersized turret base sprite' or something like that,

Basically layered.

(correct slot size, with or without baseplate)
Weapon sprite -
none or Baseplate sprite -
Ship sprite -

(incorrect slot size, with baseplate)
Weapon sprite -
Undersized Baseplate Sprite -
Ship sprite -

ThePinkPanzer

• Commander
  • Professional accidentaly rude person
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 12:18:38 PM »

I think this can be remedied if they simply added some large ship only weapons that were slightly better than the smaller guns but were around the same power requirement.