Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Negative OP Hullmods  (Read 3221 times)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Negative OP Hullmods
« on: November 17, 2012, 09:13:51 AM »

I would love to see hullmods that grant a few additional OPs rather then using them up. Those mods would weaken certain aspects of a ship and allow to emphasize others that way. The possibility of very specialized ships that this would open up is always interesting in my opinion.  I think the front shield emitter is a first step in that direction. Just to be clear, I think granted OPs should be few, I would not want a situation where the only sensible choice would be to use system X on hull Y (like we have now with the resistant flux conduits).

For example:
- Shield emitter removal. Would remove a ships shields, so you could increase it's armor, speed or make sure it stays away from the front lines. The Bufallo Mk.II already has this.
- Compact engines. Install a sub-par engine to free up space. "This carrier doesn't need to get around anyway."
- Turret lockdown. Half the rotation arc of all turrets. Ships that don't have turrets like the brawler should be excerpt from this.
- Minimal storage. Decrease cargo and fuel space by 90%. This ship is really dependent on logistics ships now.

Like normal hullmods that have some minor drawbacks, these negative hullmods could even have some minor advantages to point the way how to utilize them. Maybe shield emitter removal grants +5% armor because the shields emitters are structural weak points. Or turret lockdown improves turret HPs.

Thoughts?
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

erynr73

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Negative OP Hullmods
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 11:18:07 AM »

There is a mod that has that, the only problem with it is that you can apply the negative hullmods use up the extra OPs, then remove the negative hullmods and keep everything else.   I would like to see it as part of the vanilla game, love the idea of negative hullmods (like completely removing armor) in order to better customize my ship to my play style.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 12:14:26 PM »

You know that mod's name?

erynr73

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 06:27:21 AM »

After an hour of loading and quitting Starfarer, finally found the mod  :D

"Project CAELUS"

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=2690.0

Pendragon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 09:34:27 AM »

I quiet like this idea too. Though it does currently exist in at least one mod as Erynr said I think it would be great to see it in the vanilla game if they could address the issue he mentioned. There are a lot of options that you could go with though I especially like the minimal storage idea, I love the thought to a commander turning part of his fleet into a combat wolf-pack that carries around a freighter or two to store supplies and equipment on.

Maybe you could even have a weapon object that could be selected to removed/disable a hull's hard-point to gain extra space. I've got several configurations that I like to use that leave a hard-point or two open, particularly on cruiser hulls. Maybe gaining 2 points for a small, 5 for a medium and 10 for a large.

firstattak1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 09:44:35 AM »

Also this could be cool for low challenges, like a wolf with low armor and low sheilds vs a (insert ship here). Cool idea would love to see this added.

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 01:17:01 PM »

There is a mod that has that, the only problem with it is that you can apply the negative hullmods use up the extra OPs, then remove the negative hullmods and keep everything else.   I would like to see it as part of the vanilla game, love the idea of negative hullmods (like completely removing armor) in order to better customize my ship to my play style.

Just add a check in the customization screen that prevents you from exiting with the ship going over it's OP limit.

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 01:23:24 PM »

That reminds me of the MoO2's Battle Pods: More Ship Space but adds a higher Construction Cost

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 01:53:01 PM »

After an hour of loading and quitting Starfarer, finally found the mod  :D

Thank you for your effort :)

Maybe you could even have a weapon object that could be selected to removed/disable a hull's hard-point to gain extra space. I've got several configurations that I like to use that leave a hard-point or two open, particularly on cruiser hulls. Maybe gaining 2 points for a small, 5 for a medium and 10 for a large.

I thought about this, too. I think it's not viable, exactly because you can easily  drop a weapon even now. To install weapons is already counterbalanced by the flux they consume. A negative hullmod should only affect things that every variant could make use of, so that it's never a no-brainer to install it.