Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: System map - Ambush! O.O  (Read 3152 times)

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
System map - Ambush! O.O
« on: November 12, 2012, 11:54:01 PM »

Dang i didn't search for something like this. I'm sorry if its suggested before.

What are you thinking about possibility to hide in asteroid fields or planets or stars? When you click on any of those space body's when your fleet arrives you have options to hide there. This would be cool for AI to do, pirates could ambush convoys that way... Or player  ;D

Hiding wouldn't be always same. Bigger fleet or larger ships would lower % of "hide" effect. Fleets with more advance ships (maybe adding sensor range in ship_data.csv or something) would have better chance to detect hiding fleet (oh, yeah, when you detect hiding fleet they do not know that so you can surprise surprsers) and it would depend on behind what you hide, so asteroid belt would give large hide bonus to smaller ships and fighters/bombers and small or no hide bonus to bigger ships, planets would be neutral - no bonuses and stars, well they would give bonuses depending on armor value, higher armor bigger bonus (those are hot so ships with ticker armor can be closer to it and that way hide better). Something like that.

And when hidden there should be something that would indicate how good or bad is it (just visual thing for player). Not numbers, some picture like eye. Widely opened would mean bad hiding and close shut would mean good hiding and half open would mean so-so hiding.

And there should be slight change in system map visibility mechanic. Now, fog of war would be too much but flickering (fleet disappear and then reappear again). More distant fleets from your fleet would flicker more and longer and more closer fleet would flicker less and shorter. There would be maximum sensor range of your fleet. In that sensor range there would be no flickering. Flickering thing is only because of player, to make him unable to see when AI is making ambush.

So, what do you think?
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

Axiege

• Admiral
  • What a brave and loving name.
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: System map - Ambush! O.O
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 05:13:07 AM »

I like that idea, the campaign free-roaming does need a bit more complexity, as traveling is easily the most boring part of the game. Maybe once you successfully ambush a fleet (or are ambushed yourself) it could change the battle map to better illustrate a surprise attack, kind of how monsters get an extra attack if they catch you by surprise in Dragon Quest games.

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 05:29:56 AM »

I like that idea, the campaign free-roaming does need a bit more complexity, as traveling is easily the most boring part of the game. Maybe once you successfully ambush a fleet (or are ambushed yourself) it could change the battle map to better illustrate a surprise attack, kind of how monsters get an extra attack if they catch you by surprise in Dragon Quest games.
Yup, like bonus to FP for successful ambush or something like that.
Creator of:

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 07:47:55 AM »

As i rad the text my head started to play the pokemon music while a WILD PARAGON APPEARS! In my battlescreen.  :D

Abaddon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 08:24:01 AM »

Dude I had the exact same thought a few days ago while I was chasing a pirate fleet through an asteroid field. Was wishing that I could have hid my fleet and ambushed them instead of chasing them across half the system. I was only slightly faster then them and at one point they changed course to avoid the Hegemony defense fleet and I fell behind again, so there I was swearing and just thinking that if I had the ability to ambush them this would have been over ten minutes ago.

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 09:18:04 AM »

Dude I had the exact same thought a few days ago while I was chasing a pirate fleet through an asteroid field. Was wishing that I could have hid my fleet and ambushed them instead of chasing them across half the system. I was only slightly faster then them and at one point they changed course to avoid the Hegemony defense fleet and I fell behind again, so there I was swearing and just thinking that if I had the ability to ambush them this would have been over ten minutes ago.
Yes i know i did read your mind. MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA  :D
Creator of:

Abaddon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 12:14:33 PM »

Yes i know i did read your mind. MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA  :D

That explains the headache I have had. Did you enjoy your time in my gutter of a mind?

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 01:06:32 PM »

That explains the headache I have had. Did you enjoy your time in my gutter of a mind?
It was wild ride  ;D
Creator of:

Abaddon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 03:04:30 PM »

It was wild ride  ;D

Good to know, please come again.