Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: inside view  (Read 2827 times)

s1rlancerlott

• Ensign
    • View Profile
inside view
« on: October 19, 2012, 03:58:00 PM »

what im saying is that in the game Rome total war you get the option to see what your cities look like from the inside view, you know see what people are doing and seeing where everything is and all that stuff. I think it would be a pretty cool idea to make it so when your in the traveling view you can view your fleet flying around or maybe you can see inside a ship.

Aleskander

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: inside view
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 12:08:59 AM »

Nah. Keep it as it is. The tried and true formula of space M&B.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 01:12:46 AM »

I feel this is too little bang for too much buck on the artist's behalf right now.....

Not that I won't love it, just not if it takes time from the core mechanics
mmm.... tartiflette

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 01:33:13 AM »

It would be like the feature in Rome TW. It was cool abd stuff, but totally useless.

ClosetGoth

• Commander
  • Permanently TTRPG-brained
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 08:05:11 AM »

Sorry to get kinda off topic, but I am playing R:TW and would be happy to know how you do look at your cities.
Starfaring since the very beginning of 2012

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 08:14:43 AM »

Sorry to get kinda off topic, but I am playing R:TW and would be happy to know how you do look at your cities.

City management -> View city or something. Its totally useless though.

Uxion

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 11:55:13 AM »

I was thinking about going to an isometric view of the city which is in grid form so that you can easily click and build whatever facilities you want.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 12:24:50 PM »

'Nother off-topic question here, but...

can you do that in other TW games that aren't RTW or RTW2?

Like, say, STW or NTW?

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 12:41:19 PM »

You'll note that the city view in R:TW was a re-use of the tactical battle city model & camera, just with a bunch of random people walking very randomly dropped in. That's a relatively cheap trick using existing art & code.

I'm sorry to say that Starfarer has no such art to show the inside of ships so the cost of such a feature would be huge. I won't speak for Alex, but it's simply not a reasonable thing to do from the standpoint of rationally allocating effort to the game's development. That said, I think the notion of making Starfarer a little more ... hmm, personable? is indeed a reasonable goal. But I've got nothing more to say on that subject 'til Alex makes such things happen.

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2012, 12:45:04 PM »

'Nother off-topic question here, but...

can you do that in other TW games that aren't RTW or RTW2?

Like, say, STW or NTW?

Cant speak for NTW and ETW, but you cant do it in MTW2 and STW2.

You'll note that the city view in R:TW was a re-use of the tactical battle city model & camera, just with a bunch of random people walking very randomly dropped in. That's a relatively cheap trick using existing art & code.

I'm sorry to say that Starfarer has no such art to show the inside of ships so the cost of such a feature would be huge. I won't speak for Alex, but it's simply not a reasonable thing to do from the standpoint of rationally allocating effort to the game's development. That said, I think the notion of making Starfarer a little more ... hmm, personable? is indeed a reasonable goal. But I've got nothing more to say on that subject 'til Alex makes such things happen.

Yeah it would probably be alot of hassle for little gain, I cant really see that happening in the nearest future.

Also: 1000th post awww yeah!