Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: YT Monetizing  (Read 3121 times)

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
YT Monetizing
« on: October 10, 2012, 10:13:13 AM »

Do we have explicit permission to monetize Youtube videos of Starfarer? This is very much a question for Alex or anyone else with this knowledge.

Diddnt find anything in the FAQ or other places.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: YT Monetizing
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 10:47:17 AM »

This depends on your and Starfarer's legal jurisdictions with regards to 'fair use'. My understanding of the law is pretty limited, but it seems that under US copyright law/precedent video games with commentaries fall under fair use. Of course, explicit permission is different from fair use and brings up a whole host of other issues.

Verrius

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 11:04:11 AM »

By default, Youtube does not condone monetizating of game LPs and whatnot.
I don't believe Fractal Softworks has given permission in the same vein as Minecraft and FTL.

I guess now is not a bad time to ask :p

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 11:09:09 AM »

Unless the people who own the rights to a game give explicit permission, you're not allowed to monetize gameplay videos on youtube or livestreaming sites since it's specifically against their ToS. For things like Minecraft, the creator made a blanket statement basically saying anyone can monetize their gameplay footage of Minecraft.

This is why youtube partners typically join a network, like The Gamestation, since the network acquires these rights for them and handles the legal stuff (from what I understand). In return, they get a portion of the ad revenue.

Source: TotalBiscuit's Twtter

EDIT: So yeah, it would be a good idea to get permission from Alex, or even a blanket statement from Alex allowing the monetization of gameplay footage (it would be decent advertising, what with MS suddenly choosing to forbid this sort of thing for their games). And if you tweet to let TB know, there's a decent chance he'll retweet if you identify yourself as the developer.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 11:13:11 AM by naufrago »

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 12:50:09 PM »

It seems like everyone here is subbed to TB (Me included). And yes, I would hope Alex gives a public permission so that bigger youtubers maybe also would play it.

(And if Alex reminded TB, maybe he would make some more videos)

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 01:14:44 PM »

I doubt it. He'll probably make a video when it's closer to finished, though.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Sunfire

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 01:15:55 PM »

I doubt it. He'll probably make a video when it's closer to finished, though.

why not? it's publicity, and alex has always been pretty chill about people who give out publicity

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 01:31:53 PM »

Haha, I meant TB. It's not his thing to make videos of the same game repeatedly.

I also believe that Alex would be amenable to YT monetizing.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 02:48:45 PM by icepick37 »
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 02:32:45 PM »

I would hope Alex gives a public permission so that bigger youtubers maybe also would play it.

I'm pretty sure all the bigger youtubers are part of networks that already have agreements with the various publishers and developers, including Starfarer's.

As for the possibility of TB making another video of Starfarer, it's highly unlikely until some major features are implemented, like maybe when the campaign mode becomes more fleshed out (ie. when the game is mostly done). Yes, good progress has been made with the combat mechanics and AI, but those aren't the sort of things that are particularly... visible. To someone who doesn't know the game inside and out, the game as it is now isn't very different from the last video TB made of Starfarer.

Basically, until something game-changing happens (like fleshed-out campaign mechanics), don't expect another video from TB. The character skills (along with the ship systems and phasing) might be big enough to warrant an update video, but it's the sort of thing that should be conveyed to TB by Alex himself if he wants the publicity, and then left to TB to determine whether he makes a video or not.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 03:00:20 PM »

I think the skills are not enough to warrant a new wave of media coverage. If the combat mode is the gear at the heart of the machine, the skills system is only the second adjacent gear (after the system view) and has nothing yet to it's side to mesh with. Once the industry and diplomacy system come to life they will mesh nicely. Only then the skill system can really unfold.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 03:07:51 PM by Gothars »
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.