Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Behold the Ragnarok! (My pride and joy!)  (Read 6858 times)

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
Behold the Ragnarok! (My pride and joy!)
« on: October 06, 2012, 03:13:24 PM »

This took forever, but its my best! Look for it in the upcoming Rise of Archeus content and balance update!

Demonocolips

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Behold the Ragnarok! (My pride and joy!)
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 05:47:40 PM »

very good sprite keep up the work

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 06:01:28 PM »

^ thank you I plan on it  :)

maximilianyuen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 09:52:52 PM »

cool  ;D
Fleet construction in progress.

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
  • O' Hear My Name and Tremble! Ug Ug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 06:06:15 AM »

Magnificent.

"GEDUNE, stop venting in front of your classmates!"

Aleskander

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 09:00:12 AM »

The top center opens up a bit much for me, but that's opinion.

Bobakanoosh

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 08:28:17 PM »

you did a really good job on the shading, the ship has a nice sense of depth and 3Dness. im assuming that this is either a heavily armed carrier, or heavy cruiser/mid-line battleship with a hanger?

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 08:46:36 PM »

you did a really good job on the shading, the ship has a nice sense of depth and 3Dness. im assuming that this is either a heavily armed carrier, or heavy cruiser/mid-line battleship with a hanger?
Thanks! Shading was by far the most time consuming process.

It is indeed a Battlecruiser. It has more defense in its shields than say the Conquest has in its poor armor but it doesn't have the firepower (though that's debatable) or maneuverability that the Conquest does. Its ship system involves its single hangar in that it launches a limited number of fighters that both protect the ship and target other ships farther away. Many ships in Rise of Archeus feature that system since I am trying to rebalance fighters and carriers in the mod.

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 08:52:59 PM »

cool  ;D
Magnificent.

Thanks again!

The top center opens up a bit much for me, but that's opinion.

I actually debated on whether or not to extend the hangar outwards and make a larger forward bridge. In the end I decided against it because of the time it would take and the fact that if I did that I would probably feel obligated to add a medium energy slot or two into all that extra space. The firepower of this thing is already pushing the limits of balance considering its tactical versatility. Any extra decent weapons would definitely push it over the edge into "broken" territory.  ;D

VikingHaag

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 12:23:01 PM »

Any extra decent weapons would definitely push it over the edge into "broken" territory.  ;D

The brokeness can easily be offset by really high prices.

Trust me, a price tag of 300k+ would kill my will to get one, treat it like a really endgame ship, something you have to save money for for a while.

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 02:53:14 PM »

Any extra decent weapons would definitely push it over the edge into "broken" territory.  ;D

The brokeness can easily be offset by really high prices.

Trust me, a price tag of 300k+ would kill my will to get one, treat it like a really endgame ship, something you have to save money for for a while.

Yes it will be expensive. Probably in line with the Paragon and Omega since it is Archeus' primary command ship. However, right now it is almost useless to equate cost since the campaign is not yet done. Money is almost not even a factor once you get a decent fleet rolling and farm the Hegemony defense fleet. Its not like it even takes very long to get to that point either. Once more of the campaign features are fleshed out though I can better balance it. Right now the assault variant of the ship stands toe to toe with an Onslaught and will usually win with still around 30% of its hull remaining. The other variants don't fare quite as well since flak cannons are so ridiculously good at stopping missiles. (The 4 medium slots are missile slots)

VikingHaag

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 01:56:43 AM »

Yes it will be expensive. Probably in line with the Paragon and Omega since it is Archeus' primary command ship. However, right now it is almost useless to equate cost since the campaign is not yet done. Money is almost not even a factor once you get a decent fleet rolling and farm the Hegemony defense fleet. Its not like it even takes very long to get to that point either. Once more of the campaign features are fleshed out though I can better balance it. Right now the assault variant of the ship stands toe to toe with an Onslaught and will usually win with still around 30% of its hull remaining. The other variants don't fare quite as well since flak cannons are so ridiculously good at stopping missiles. (The 4 medium slots are missile slots)

Have you considered making them medium energy slots and adding small missile slots on the inner side of the forward arms? It would fill nicely but be useless for reapers and annihillators given they'd shoot diagonally if they were hardpoints.

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 10:29:06 PM »

Have you considered making them medium energy slots and adding small missile slots on the inner side of the forward arms? It would fill nicely but be useless for reapers and annihillators given they'd shoot diagonally if they were hardpoints.

I may work on the sprite some tonight to kind of revise its weapons package. May be a buff may be a nerf I'm not sure yet it depends upon whether I want to go the route of 25 fp cost or not. I'm leaning yes atm. Either way I usually iterate things like 5 times before I release them and sometimes that isn't even enough. The Executor has been changed ooohh probably 7 times from its first creation and I am still thinking of removing a couple medium slots if I find the time  ::)

To give an example of my pickiness: The bridge area of the ship surrounding the command tower feels too cluttered right now. I also don't like that it alternates energy and missiles. I like things to stay kind of grouped by purpose as I feel it gives a better visceral appeal to the ship once weapons are loaded. I also stay away from a lot of the larger weapons as I feel it looks a little out of place. You will notice that the standard variants use my own built large weapon that isn't quite as large as your typical energy large-class weapon. Guess I'm old school that way lol. So I am thinking of using an earlier comment and expanding the hangar northward a bit and using the expanded space to kind of branch out the medium slots while relocating the missiles batteries.

We'll see what happens.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 10:34:54 PM by Morrokain »

VikingHaag

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2012, 04:27:10 AM »

To give an example of my pickiness: The bridge area of the ship surrounding the command tower feels too cluttered right now. I also don't like that it alternates energy and missiles. I like things to stay kind of grouped by purpose as I feel it gives a better visceral appeal to the ship once weapons are loaded. I also stay away from a lot of the larger weapons as I feel it looks a little out of place. You will notice that the standard variants use my own built large weapon that isn't quite as large as your typical energy large-class weapon. Guess I'm old school that way lol. So I am thinking of using an earlier comment and expanding the hangar northward a bit and using the expanded space to kind of branch out the medium slots while relocating the missiles batteries.

We'll see what happens.

Feels indeed clustered. If you want some suggestions feel free to pm me. This thread is staying at the top a bit too long methinks.