Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Weapon sound help/workaround?  (Read 2028 times)

FlashFrozen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Weapon sound help/workaround?
« on: October 06, 2012, 12:34:52 AM »

I have a weapon right now, that is in function similar to the needler, but I have a sound effect that essentially a full burst (not a single shot)

"fireSoundOne":"tron_ac2_firing",   
   #"fireSoundTwo":"tron_ac2_firing",

I've set it up so that on one click it'll fire off the whole burst, using the charge up sound of "fireSoundOne" so that it play only for the whole burst.

If I use fireSoundTwo, it'll play the sound effect for each individual shot during the burst,

Because I just want the sound to play once on click, I had to not use SoundTwo, but the Implementation of the charging sound is somewhat off.
For everytime I click to fire the weapon, the whole sound loop will play, even during the weapons' cooldown (which really seems weird since other charging sound weapons such as the storm needler and the High intensity laser)

IS there no other way to have a weapon use soundeffect only once at the start of their firing?

maximilianyuen

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Weapon sound help/workaround?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 08:28:22 AM »

i am not sure i get you right, but is that your sound is longer than your burst so it still sound when cool down?
Fleet construction in progress.

FlashFrozen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 09:21:34 AM »

The weapon fires as long as the burst, but the charging sound effect can be clicked on mutliple times and the weapons will play the sound effect multiple times, even if the weapons is on cooldown and doesn't actually shoot anything,

So you can click (multiple times if you want)while it's on cooldown, and it'll play the whole sound loop of it firing, but In general it'll paly the loop once per burst ( and then the ai will spam-fire the weapon even if it 's on cooldown making the weapon sound go off and off with no projectiles to show for it.)

The other method is equally unpleasant in that it'll play the loop PER SHOT.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 11:09:01 AM »

It's probably not a good idea to have the whole burst in the same sound file - consider what would happen if the ship overloaded / started venting / ran out of flux / etc mid-burst. Also consider that hull mods can change the rate of fire for a weapon.

That said, it shouldn't be playing the pre-burst sound if the weapon is on cooldown or can't fire for any other reason - I'll take a look.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 11:15:59 AM by Alex »

FlashFrozen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 11:34:10 AM »

Not sure if this helps, but the weapon has a low chargeup but a high chargedown

chargeup   chargedown   burst size   burst delay

0.03           6                   32           0.03