Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Modder's Block, a plea for ideas.  (Read 8084 times)

FlashFrozen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Modder's Block, a plea for ideas.
« on: September 30, 2012, 01:19:53 AM »

Maybe shoulda went into the fanfiction/area but also sorta do need ideas :D

Hehe, didn't want to release it before it was finished, but I guess I'mma just throw this into the wild to get some momentum up to finish it.

Here's my idea, as sorta an ingame offshoot of the Neutrino corp side-story here's an experiment gone wrong :P

Codename: Tron

Spoiler
What started as a experiment to molecularly forge armor using networked-nanites, ships we're literally refurbished molecule by molecule.

These converted ships sported enormous increases in durability as a result, but had glaring side effect of being unable to maintain a standard shield emitter without serious modification.

Spoiler
The first full scale ship conversion experiment: Test01-Onslaught

[close]

With the successful experiment, many other options were tried as well, but as with each sucessful conversion the nanite network improved it's own algorithms of increasing complexity.
Such obvious changes did not go unnoticed, but instead of termination, this fledging program got some nudges into a full AI.
The collective program had been dubbed Tron, but it wasn't until the conversion of Banshee class warship did something dramatic had happened:
Spoiler
Conversion: Test06-Banshee

[close]

With a sudden increase in computing resources, Tron consumed 21 petabytes of RAM in a window of 14 minutes, and what most dubbed as the Awakening, the program had achieved full sentience.
Standard protocol in the sector with emerging AI's tended to lean on deletion usually in the form of a reaper torpedo strike, but as this wasn't a publicly known experiment, Neutrino scientists proceeded onto observation, in which Tron had started consuming huge amounts network bandwidth, of which disturbingly half of which was used on looking up cats.

After about 4 hours, all network traffic winded down, and simple communique was sent to the Neutrino observers, "...20120111201010...     Does this unit, have a soul?"
With curiosity peaked with such a sudden question, they decided to use this as a first case scenario to explore full fledged intelligence, they responded with "Yes."

For better or for worse, the reply suddenly seem to make it's way to Tron, it brought about all the other converted ships and made a jump towards the unknown, leaving behind only a 1m^3 block of ultra dense material, with a light thud as it slowly pulsed.

... That was almost 8 years ago, The Beacon, as the cube had come to be known, had for the first time, stopped pulsing. A huge mass signature had jumped into the outer reaches of the system, but only one lone ship separated from it and slowly moved forward. But it made sure no one was unaware of it. Before it even reached The Beacon a small armada of Hegemony, Tri-Tachyon, Independants and even the odd Corsair had formed alongside the massive ship. It arrived at The Beacon in what was a little under a week, a crawl compared to even low-tech Hegemony ships, the ship had fired what appeared to be a beam at The Beacon and it mysteriously disappeared. 
Spoiler

[close]

No one was prepared for what came next: A declaration of challenge.

"We invite all those willing to participate, to in any way, shape, or form, defeat us. We will give the victor the collective knowledge we have earned, as much respect as our creators have left us, and the chance at survival.
Do you understand these terms?"

The message was broadcast with such intensity, some small frigates had generated EMP along their hulls, flickering out some systems for a few moments.

Some ships decided to turn tail and activated their system drives back to their respective homes, but a brave TT captain broke the silence and shot forth a message, "Survival? Is this a declaration of war? Who are you? How can we trust you? And creators?"

"Who we are is not important, We do not wish to incite hostility, war is a term of differing perspectives, we prefer the term... challenge. This is but a test to deem those that are worthy from those who will simply destroy themselves. The Creators are those amongst you, they know who they are. Trust is all relative, what we speak shall only be the truth. We await your reply."

With that the ship simply disappeared out of existence, the fleet at the edge of the system similarly disappeared,

All was quiet again, except, pulsating gently in the void the ship once was, The Beacon.

[close]

And while that was a derpy long read of amateur writing :D I've come here to ask for some ship ideas.

Huehue, although scripting is not my forte, I kind of want to make a script that periodically generates a ship around stellar object that be named The Beacon Probably hang it somewhere near a yet undisclosed station.
Make it spawn ships of increasing difficulty in a one ship fleets until the final challenge is completed.

Release is prob gonna be after 0.54 at best

Now for the main thing, I'd like to request some ship ideas and ship graphics, preferably more sprite related but general ideas are also welcome :3 I can also simply "convert" pre-existing ships but I feel that sorta dilute the feel of the faction.

Samples, Throw me something like say this:

Spoiler

Spoiler
[close]

heck, I've even used real life ships as basis
Spoiler

[close]

[close]

I don't want to get hopes up, but this is something I would like to finish but it's mostly content (*cough sprites cough*) that's holding it back :P

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
Re: Modder's Block, a plea for ideas.
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 03:03:37 PM »

The ship you used in the first example... where is it from? It looks familiar but I'm drawing a blank. I love the design of that!

FlashFrozen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 06:09:37 PM »

lol thought this topic died xP

the first render is supposedly a Human Battleship from Nexus 2

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 01:25:38 AM »

Dunno it was on the second page so I figured I would take a look. That makes sense though I played the first nexus but not the second. Thats probably where I saw the similarity. I may try to duplicate this or at least do something similar with a starfarer art scheme.

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 03:59:50 AM »

Those look so cool.
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

FiCho

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 01:06:02 PM »

hey I got an idea for hull mod, hyperspace jump  ;D something like phase teleport ( Im not sure if thats it's real name) but for longer jumps and with different look... sorry if I misunderstood u for what u meant by ideas  :-\

FlashFrozen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 01:49:47 PM »

Mmm, I could make a defensive phase jump system, prob blend in the high energy focus with the phase teleporter and reverse the damage taken to make it extra durable and add in a charge time and derpadur,

A good idea :D thanks, but ideas are welcome, shipsystem/ship looks or otherwise :P

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 07:34:56 AM »

Holy hell those glowing ships looks freakin amazing like that...please make a new faction using that glow...like....call it the Vortex or the Void Walkers

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 08:14:05 AM »

Make a small, vanilla-balanced faction with a cool gimmick that can fit right in with USS and Exerelin? Or help me work out ways to make space monsters work in Starsector's engine? : P

Thule

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 09:28:37 AM »

i don't have a sprite or img right now, but what i would do is get rid of the name "Tron", at least for now. As i see it
giving something a name without having an idea is somewhat limiting your imagination. For me it would focus my mind
in a certain direction, and thats not something i would like right away.

What i like doing when i am looking for inspiration is brwosing through various sites like deviantart or cghub and so on.
And i try to focus on shapes, you can get great ideas for shapes in images of armors, ship concepts, ship shape concepts,
speedart is general better imho as it is more open to the way you can interpret it.

After i found some interesting stuff i cut out those parts, decolorise them and place them all in a single document.
And then i tinker away and take my time.

Maybe this helps, maybe not, keep awesome ;)

FlashFrozen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 09:46:54 AM »

Lol celebratory necro?

I still have that collection on tron-y things, wasn't that good a collection though lol.

Gimmicks are hard to come by without some serious scripting or I base my ship around certain mechanics to incorporate said properties.

Bjørn_in_the_Sector

• Commander
  • Have a towel, just need a ship...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2013, 01:05:35 PM »

Just to throw in my two proverbial cents - There are a couple of factions out there that rely on speed and manoeuvrability, rather than armour, and there are others who prefer heavy armour and high hull health, but no shields. Wouldn't a Rogue AI go for the most logical path - the middle road? That would mean perhaps very high armour values AND shields, but lacking speed/manoeuvrability and hull strength. Or the other way round. high shields and hull, with decent manoeuvrability, but lacking armour. Also, more pointy ships would have higher armour concentration, and provide better protection all round due to angled armour. Maybe this AI would go for 3-D prismatic shaped hulls?
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120425024506/starwars/images/thumb/0/05/HarrowerClassDreadnaught-EGW.jpg/500px-HarrowerClassDreadnaught-EGW.jpg
(sorry for long link)
Executive Creative Director of Naysmyth Armouries Mod (Very WIP)

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2013, 03:02:18 PM »

Bjørn_in_the_Sector

I'm working on something like that, but its actual completion will be a long ways out ;)

Remnants

Bjørn_in_the_Sector

• Commander
  • Have a towel, just need a ship...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2013, 03:14:06 PM »

welp.
there ya go.
Executive Creative Director of Naysmyth Armouries Mod (Very WIP)

etherealblade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2013, 12:10:33 AM »

Here you go 8D
Have a blast!
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler