Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Nexus 2 on Kickstarter! Help fund the most engaging tactical 3D space game ever!  (Read 11235 times)

Aleskander

• Captain
    • View Profile

Bill gates could personally fund this thing, god knows how many times over

Catra

• Admiral
    • View Profile

if only they jumped onto the bandwagon sooner  :'(

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile

How come stupid board games that we have a million times over get funded, but a classical masterpiece like this that rivals Mona Lisa gets thrown into the bin. :'(

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Because 99% of people is stupid. They should put Nexus 2 Gandnam style and they would be 1000000x founded... it's just sad... -.-

Oh and yes, i'm not telling that that song sucks or anything...
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile

Well, the campaign is pretty awkward. I'm sure they could do much better if 1) they would not start their video with some bad acting and 2) they would not expect everyone to have played Nexus 1. The campaign really seems to be addressing Nexus 1 players, and there are just not enough of those.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile

The game looks like it has huge potential, but sadly does not look like it's not gonna make it. they should've learned from their previous campaign :/

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Backed.

You never know, it might still make it - they've just got a newsletter from gamigo dedicated to the kickstarter.

Now if we could just get TB to mention the kickstarter....
I wonder if the past Starfarer coverage has granted Alex any privileged access to TB.

mercy

• Ensign
    • View Profile

I got insider info on this project tied into Nexus 1. Will post here after 15 days.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile

huh... so Totalbiscuit did a video on these guys just today....

Let's hope for the best...
mmm.... tartiflette

mercy

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Oh, its time! Finally, i can talk. :D

The ideal concept of the One and Only Nexus: Jupiter incident were brewed and perfected during the development of Imperium Galactica in 1997 (platform: MS-DOS) then during the work on Imperium Galactica 2. Originally Imperium Galactica III. was meant to be Nexus 1. However changing publishers, chaotic legal disputes, including the developers had to break into their own then closed down offices and "steal" back their engine & their source code of the Nexus-1 prototype.. 

Can you imagine, if they fought this hard for their beloved brain-child, the developers surely must have been carrying the shining light of Nexus 1's ideas in their hearts! The main engine coder was a genius of his time and he spent day and night - basically obsessed - creating the beautiful 3D universe. The main designer also shared his obsession and at least one modeler who created the ships worked feverishly. They gave EVERYTHING. They did never quit.  Finally, through forming Mithis Entertainment and fighting for a deal with Vivendi and HD Interactive, plus perfecting their awesome 3D Black Sun Engine, they created the best game of their life! Since then they were NOT be able to create anything that comes even close to Nexus.

The reason for this is, i think, if you give "every part of your soul" to a project like Nexus 1, your soul-parts really go over into the Great Beyond. Life has a limited span, youthful energy and  human vitality slowly ebbs with age. The main programmer regrettably said to me 4 years after the completion of NEXUS 1, that his bright inventive thinking - characteristic of young energetic, intelligent coders - was then in the decline, on a downward arc. Just think about the energy they pumped into Nexus 1, if you are a developer, you will understand! For this same reason - i think - Mike Harrington said to Gabe Newell after creating the One and Only Half-Life 1 when Gabe asked him, to lets try to gather energy for creating Half-Life 2:
- Gabe, I can't do this again.

After finishing Nexus 1 in 2004 the original creators tried to pitch Nexus 2 to various publishers, to get big money for the required development. No publisher was interested. As the years passed, they GAVE UP HOPE.  Can you imagine, how the really bright, intelligent & creative developers must have felt, when they had to give up hope??  :~~-(((((

HD Publishing created a studio in 2006 with these guys, they completed: Joint Task Force
http://hardwired.hu/bigdl/3/10/Joint_Task_Force_PC_muvi_launchtrailer.wmv

In 2007 and 2008 i had the fortune to work with these Nexus 1 guys of exceptional talent. I realized then, what i hadn't seen in 2004 - as a journalist then visiting their studio, where i was shown a U-Boot underwater scene, made with a modified Black Sun 3D Engine, looking awesome. That was Battlestations: Midway.  These guys were the best. Still, they had unfortunately little experience for the stealth-based, cyberpunk third-person action shooter with elements of Saboteur and Splinter Cell, they tried to create and finish.
Here is a trailer from that cancelled game from 2008:
http://hardwired.hu/bigdl/3/10/muvi_black_noise_engine_movie.avi

The owner of the company lost a lot of money in the 2007-2008 world-wide economic crash and the studio was closed down, these guys were disbanded and each went to different studios, their experience of Nexus 1 dispersed, the core team shattered, never to be united __ever__ again.

Today, most of the brightest of these guys, creators of Nexus 1, gave up game development entirely, some went over to show presentation media creation and coding: where the big salary is.

Maybe now you understand, how much hope and chance the original financial backer of the company - the guys in the video of the Nexus 2 Kickstarter and of the earlier money-gathering campaigns - had to hire back the Creative Heroes of the Past.. .. .. to create again a new Nexus 2.. . .. .     :~~(((
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 04:40:28 AM by mercy »

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile

The one thing we can learn from this.... is that kicktraq is really good at plotting projections!

The final total of 24% was inside (but at the bottom of) the projection range 3 weeks before the end date.
Understandable really; projects that are unlikely to reach their targets will tend to trend toward the bottom of their projection range.
Pages: 1 [2]