Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Surprisingly Dangerous Weapons  (Read 16024 times)

dogboy123

• Captain
  • Boron military barracuda
    • View Profile
Re: Surprisingly Dangerous Weapons
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2012, 11:00:21 AM »

I would say the sabot SRM for me, I had no idea that they could overload a mule in just 2 hits  :o, I'm now replacing all my harpoons with sabots.
"I'm expecting an all-out tactical dogfight... followed by a light dinner.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2012, 11:02:27 AM »

I really like sabots, but I wish they were unguided. As it stands they overadjust for target drift, making it extremely hard to hit frigates or even the faster destroyers.

Catra

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2012, 12:32:15 PM »

AP's are good against cruisers and most low-tech ships but I find that most caps can just soak up the damage with shields.

the only capital that can really shield-tank that is the paragon.

- the onslaught is so terrible with its flux that it can't really use it's shield that often
- the conquest should just have its shield removed, as its suicidal to block anything with that
- the odyssey is OK-ish, but it's pretty much forced into a defensive stance

Aleskander

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2012, 02:15:45 PM »

Yeah, I thought that the onslaught would be excluded automatically. I'l point out the obvious next time.

Ghoti

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2012, 04:45:09 PM »

Yeah, I thought that the onslaught would be excluded automatically. I'l point out the obvious next time.
??
The onslaughts venting isn't that bad. I mean it's not the paragon, but with hardened shields and good vents, it's pretty damn nice.
As it stands they overadjust for target drift.
Alex has improved the sabot so much in this regard. Still not good, but still better!

Aleskander

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2012, 04:55:36 PM »

I've never had an onslaught with hardened shields. Is it any good?

Ghoti

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2012, 04:57:55 PM »

Hardened shields is generally pretty good for ships that get shot at a lot.  8)

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2012, 01:45:11 PM »

Plasma cannons. I ended up having to use a plasma instead of a third auto-pulse on my odyssey due to simply not having one, and even with a single cannon the accuracy and armor piercing damage of it is incredibly useful.

You do trade off a lot for it though, raw efficiency and more vents specifically.

harrumph

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2012, 02:25:10 PM »

Annihilators! They're cheap, they're common, they show up in "Outdated" ship variants, and the AI doesn't use them very effectively, all of which together makes me forget how murderous they can be. Flying an Enforcer with a bunch of Annihilators and light needlers is like playing Starfarer in fast forward. Engage burn drive! Pew pew pew CRASH. Rockets away! Boom boom boom KABOOM. Takes like five seconds to bring an enemy destroyer from zero flux to zero hull.

commche

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2012, 10:13:18 AM »

Interestingly, the danger of a weapon is subject to how much flux is available for it to maintain a viable period of uptime. Therefore, it depends on the ship and the mods installed. Tactical lasers in numbers, along with graviton beams have negligible upkeep and awesome range. If you combine these with decent sized kinetic missile volleys on one weapon channel with one or more reaper missiles on another, you can basically, with a well timed volley of missiles, overload a ship's flux and then finish them off with a reaper while they are shorted out. I have taken down cruisers with a single destroyer using this tactic. Sadly, the AI hasn't caught on to this tactic, however it would definitely be something for the devs to look at if they hope to implement difficultly levels that go beyond half or full damage taken, i.e. AI based difficulty. Of course the game is still in alpha, so anything is possible.

Aratoop

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2012, 11:08:38 AM »

Hmmm, I don't think I really looked at the weapons when I first started, but I have to say that until recently, I thought the antimatter blaster was useless. When I start messing around with the hyperion...oh god 0_o
The community's response to a change is inversely proportional to its importance.

What do you call a dog who's a magician? A labracadabra

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2012, 05:26:36 PM »

Light Morters and Light Machine Guns are very effective.  Short, but very cheap, efficent, and easy to spam.

Temjin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2012, 09:09:16 PM »

+1 to Annihilators. Zero flux, massive explosive damage and constant pressure, from either a small or a medium slot and 4 OP on the small launcher. Works best if you have three or more front-facing/linked missile slots, (Dominator, Onslaught, Enforcer, some of the small Phase ships).

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2012, 01:44:11 PM »

AP's are good against cruisers and most low-tech ships but I find that most caps can just soak up the damage with shields.

the only capital that can really shield-tank that is the paragon.

- the onslaught is so terrible with its flux that it can't really use it's shield that often
- the conquest should just have its shield removed, as its suicidal to block anything with that
- the odyssey is OK-ish, but it's pretty much forced into a defensive stance
If I use a conquest I must have a shield. It's soaks damage long enough for me to deploy reapers point blank.
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2012, 02:00:59 PM »

Yeah, the point blank reaper barrage is a game ender. Combined with maneuvering jets it's almost impossible to stop.

Give your conquest all capacitors (instead of vents), hardened shields, and stabilized shields. You'll find that the shield can now tank most anything (from one direction haha). When you use the Conquest against an Onslaught or Paragon, you'll usually have to back off once or twice to vent, but neither of those ships have the speed or maneuverability to catch you (dodge to the side of an Onslaught where they have no weapons, and it usually won't be able to turn fast enough to shoot you lol).
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4