Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Surprisingly Dangerous Weapons  (Read 16064 times)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Surprisingly Dangerous Weapons
« on: September 27, 2012, 05:19:33 PM »

Name a weapon which is much more dangerous than you first thought!

Annihilator rockets pods! At first I wondered what the point was, then saw an Onslaught throwing 1600 DPS at me from 4 of these for no flux.

VikingHaag

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Surprisingly Dangerous Weapons
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 05:38:51 PM »

All weapons are dangerous. PD weapons surprisingly so.
Ever tried to hug an Enforcer with 5 heavy mg's?

sirboomalot

• Admiral
  • Boom
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 05:52:29 PM »

Thinking back to when I first started playing, I have to say harpoon missiles. when I used one for the first time it hit the enemy shield for a rather small amount of damage, while the salamander missiles I had used before would not only avoid the enemy shields and hit them from behind, but also disable engines and guns. It was quite a while of playing before I realized that the harpoon could be deadly.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 06:16:47 PM »

That's funny, for me it was the other way round. At my first play"trough" I started out with harpoons, and by the time I tried Salamanders my enemies had too much pd to let them trough. So I thought them to be worthless until I started anew with a salamander packed lasher.

But the weapon that surprised me most was the AM-Blaster. I's pretty useless against 0-flux shields, certainly not worth the low range and long waiting time, so I didn't realize at first that it is awesome for overloading or armor smashing.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 06:30:21 PM »

The High-Intensity Laser.  I always thought that it has a pretty low DPS compared to other weapons, but when I saw that thing mounted on a Sunder face a few of my frigates, it chewed right through them, shields, armor, hull and all.  A little suprise there, no? ;D
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Catra

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 07:13:02 PM »

none of em really. played enough X ( and other stuff before that :P ) to know that you really should try things out ( or see them used in a fairly competent manner ) before passing any judgement.

Temjin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 09:05:38 PM »

All weapons are dangerous. PD weapons surprisingly so.
Ever tried to hug an Enforcer with 5 heavy mg's?

With Burn Drive, I love flying one of these in a larger fleet engagement. It absolutely annihilates shields and hull and works great to "pincer" larger ships and put them in a really crappy situation.

Also great for ripping apart fighter swarms.

VikingHaag

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 09:21:04 PM »

With Burn Drive, I love flying one of these in a larger fleet engagement. It absolutely annihilates shields and hull and works great to "pincer" larger ships and put them in a really crappy situation.

Indeed, and if you run out of ammo you can start ramming *** with burn drive.
Extra point if you have 4 reapers. Burn drive crash into something and fire away. Assured lulz.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 01:37:25 AM »

Indeed, and if you run out of ammo you can start ramming *** with burn drive.
Extra point if you have 4 reapers. Burn drive crash into something and fire away. Assured lulz.
Good tip
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

JaytheJuggernaut

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 04:38:42 AM »

I think one of the more major of my blunders was almost completely ignoring High-Explosive weapons. Heavy mauler and Assault chaingun in particular. I always went for hypervelocity driver or Heavy Machine Gun (Just like Viking said: Don't underestimate these things!). For me, it was seeing weapons that I stunk with, as I knew the ai was extremely incompetent when it came to my playstyle. So I spent long hours in the simulator recently (coincidentally you posted this thread :) ) trying out new weapons and things.

Temjin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2012, 06:34:38 AM »

I still don't really like the Assault Chaingun, as it's not very good at dealing with armor due to its low per-shot damage and you need to spend a lot of time on target to kill anything.

Much rather have the Heavy Mauler.

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2012, 06:42:57 AM »

The Proximity Charge Launcher. That thing is the most devastating thing ever to fighters. Just go watch some of my vids.

CopperCoyote

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2012, 08:08:32 AM »

I was unimpressed with thumpers. Frag damage is terrible against both shields and armor so you have to wait till most things are nearly dead to use it well.

I was pleasantly surprised when i put an intergrated ai on an outdated enforcer. While not as good as flak at stopping most missiles it ruins the LRM barrages. Fighter wings didn't do so well either

For funsies i use a thumper on a hound to manually add a bit of pd to whatever good ship i scavenge early game(the computer is a better pilot anyway). As a bonus once the enemies armor is cracked open i can go to town.
Itches are scratched. Back-rubs are savored.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2012, 08:34:44 AM »

I still don't really like the Assault Chaingun, as it's not very good at dealing with armor due to its low per-shot damage and you need to spend a lot of time on target to kill anything.

Generally, yes, but I have found one situation where the assault chaingun is vastly superior.  Namely, for an AI piloted ship, that's using light needlers for its kinetic damage.  Install a mauler, and the AI will hang around at max mauler range and try to bring down enemy shields using just the mauler.  The slightly shorter range of the assault chaingun is, in this case, a huge advantage - because it means the AI will actually use the needlers when appropriate.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

JaytheJuggernaut

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2012, 08:40:55 AM »

I can't think of any weapon except the assault chaingun off the top of my head where it spreads out as it shoots (Ok, I can. Mark IX) I only put these weapons in hardpoints, as my style is more long range. This is a major disadvantage for my fleet. Then again, I'm not good at piloting capital ships, so I pretty much just sit on an enemy until someone overloads. The spread is moot there.

Generally, yes, but I have found one situation where the assault chaingun is vastly superior.  Namely, for an AI piloted ship, that's using light needlers for its kinetic damage.  Install a mauler, and the AI will hang around at max mauler range and try to bring down enemy shields using just the mauler.  The slightly shorter range of the assault chaingun is, in this case, a huge advantage - because it means the AI will actually use the needlers when appropriate.

Yeah, I can see this being good info to know. Sit there wasting all the mauler ammo, and I'm like,"SHOOT THE NEEDLER ALREADY!" haha.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 08:42:37 AM by JaytheJuggernaut »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4