Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Poll

What do you think of Starfarer's EMP weaponry?

EMP weapons are fine as they are.
EMP weapons are fine in principle, just need some re-balancing (less OP, less fluxcost).
EMP weapons are a little weak and should get another mechanic (like flux induction, shield paralyses etc.).
I never use EMP weapons anyway.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Does anyone like to use EMP weapons (for their EMP damage's sake)?  (Read 8549 times)

ArthropodOfDoom

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone like to use EMP weapons (for their EMP damage's sake)?
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2012, 06:45:33 PM »

The main weaponry on my Conquest loadout all have some EMP damage.
Why, you ask? Well, because of weapon knockouts.
It may take some time to effectively pound through shields,
but once that happens, it's all over for whatever was sitting inside said shields.
Let's say I'm captaining the ISS Slightly Lopsided Isosceles Triangle here.

LordHerpDerpington

• Lieutenant
  • Space lasers are the best kind of laser
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to the centre of the Internet.
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2012, 12:05:09 AM »

I use whatever makes the biggest explosions, and has the biggest Dakka. I don't need fancy EM-whatever, I have explosions and Dakka!
It sounds as reasonable as the rest of quantum mechanics, so why not? 

I feel warm inside every time someone calls me "Your Lordship" or "My Lord"

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2012, 05:45:57 AM »

Added a poll to the thread. Regards to the Archduke :)
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

DJ Die

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2012, 09:46:47 AM »

i use HVDs on my Ons but mainly because of their flux eff and for shield takedowns so i can spray the target with TPCs and railguns.....EMP is a nice bonus that makes enemy ship harmless sooner

GUNINANRUNIN

• Admiral
  • Let's do it!
    • View Profile
In short, if you throw a stone out of the rear window of your spaceship you will go faster.

Temjin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2012, 09:10:44 PM »

The Hypervelocity Driver is a great "damned if you do, damned if you don't" gun, in that it does relatively high per-shot damage to shields, but also carries a sizable EMP payload if they decide to "tank" the shot on armor. The low flux per second is a bonus.

The Ion Cannon is great on small support ships that can sneak to undefended/unshielded areas of larger ones and knock out engines, but it especially excels against unshielded fighters. Other than that, its flux inefficiency is hard to stomach.

The Tachyon Lance, even post-nerf, is devastating, especially if you can field two or three of them. The burst damage will still rip apart frigates and fighters at absurd range, and a quick sweep of the beam across an unshielded target will knock out pretty much everything it touches. Plus, using them for support fire is incredibly dangerous.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2012, 07:44:37 AM »

i use HVDs on my Ons but mainly because of their flux eff and for shield takedowns so i can spray the target with TPCs and railguns.....EMP is a nice bonus that makes enemy ship harmless sooner

The Hypervelocity Driver is a great "damned if you do, damned if you don't" gun, in that it does relatively high per-shot damage to shields, but also carries a sizable EMP payload if they decide to "tank" the shot on armor. The low flux per second is a bonus.

I like HVD's because of their great range and accuracy (lets me swat those pesky frigates!), but what they don't have is high damage or good efficiency: 137.5 dps, 175 fps. Of ballistic, kinetic, weaponry it has the worst bar none flux efficiency and the lowest damage except for the single light autocannon, at a high cost of 13 OP. I think they are the best example of a weapon with really bad stats being good in practice.

VikingHaag

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2012, 08:01:14 PM »

Plus, using them for support fire is incredibly dangerous.

True that. I'm not using them anymore unless i get a fleet with only 360ยบ shield ships.
It hurts like hell to see a paragon sniper 2 lashers at once and hit your tempest while training the lances away. Lost way too many ships to be thrusting them with the AI again (I mean the lances)

Temjin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2012, 03:06:01 PM »

I like HVD's because of their great range and accuracy (lets me swat those pesky frigates!), but what they don't have is high damage or good efficiency: 137.5 dps, 175 fps. Of ballistic, kinetic, weaponry it has the worst bar none flux efficiency and the lowest damage except for the single light autocannon, at a high cost of 13 OP. I think they are the best example of a weapon with really bad stats being good in practice.

Note I said "low" flux. Much lower than the medium-sized Heavy Autocannons, and much more useful than the Arbalests. They're my primary source of damage on Enforcers, with two HVDs in the diagonals, a Mauler in front, and two flak on each side. Incredibly effective, and even more so in groups thanks to the range of the weapons.

DragonV2

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2012, 09:52:42 AM »

ive found the omen to be alot of fun to fly on one on one fights, sure they may drag on, but shutting down his entire ship followed buy a barrage of missiles is alot of fun
Pages: 1 [2]