Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Endgame Battle  (Read 12730 times)

hydremajor

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Endgame Battle
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2012, 12:53:17 AM »

Here's an idea

Once you get to find a planet you can colonize in your own name eventually bigger factions will be hearing of you doing that and from there a timer until thoses factions try to claim the planet from you starts, at this point you're to fortify the planet and your fleet and when timer reaches zero every major faction in the sector comes at you
example: we'd have hegemony tri tachyon and pirates send out one fleet to try to claim the planet

If you defeat all faction's fleets then they just give up, seeing the planet's defenses are up and ready

And the defenses can be multiple different things; defense fleets, space stations, planetary defenses, mercenary fleets.....
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 12:55:49 AM by hydremajor »

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2012, 12:55:32 AM »

still wouldn't fit the lore.... Terraforming is long gone and all the habitable planets are colonized already
mmm.... tartiflette

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2012, 08:05:34 AM »

is EVERY habitable planet found? Do we actually know that?

Things are subject to change anyway.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2012, 08:35:04 AM »

I would like it so that it is sometimes, but not always, possible to save the sector. It would always be a massive struggle and would sometime be literally impossible, but just knowing that once every 10 games I could actually succeed would be an incredible motivator.

Rowanas

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2012, 09:05:46 AM »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that alpha retcon is fine. Hell, everything, all the time, has retcons. If Alex feels like changing something to enhance the gameplay, he should do it, and we'll sweep up, removing all references to the previous state ever existing, Inquisition style.

flanker37t

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2012, 01:03:40 PM »

I still think that we need a 1000 FP-sized battle. At least one. At the end. But. All our ideas combined - the player has got to find a suitable planet (a very rare one!), set up a colony (like a castle in Mount&Blade), defend the entire system, and work against a clock - not an entire game-destructing clock, but just an in-system clock. When the timer reaches zero, some faction tries to capture your planet. If repelled, this faction gives up. If not, you lose the planet permanently. If you get the planet, you gain income and possibly some unique skills/ships/weapons.

Archduke Astro

• Captain
  • 99 AU from anywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2012, 06:28:35 PM »

I think that somewhere in a chat window far, far away, Alex and Ivaylo are having a good chuckle about this thread and our blindfolded methods of trying to describe something which only they know. ;)
We thought our last moment had come
when we got a message up the voice pipe
saying that 'A' Turret magazine was on fire.....

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2012, 06:56:55 PM »

I really doubt they've even gotten that far...    ;p
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Rowanas

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2012, 04:50:25 AM »

I think that somewhere in a chat window far, far away, Alex and Ivaylo are having a good chuckle about this thread and our blindfolded methods of trying to describe something which only they know. ;)

Are you joking? They're clearly waiting for the infinite monkeys to finish the latest update :D

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2012, 07:46:20 AM »

You forgot david and stian ;)

Aleskander

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2012, 10:19:38 AM »

Here's a good question
Why would you even want there to be an end to the game?
Congratulations, you've spent 5 weeks building up a fleet, training yourself and your crew, getting your ship fitted out as best you can. Now, you will accomplish one event, and now you get to start over! Yay, you win! You should be happy!

No. Maybe have a storyline in-game, but any game with a buildup of power by the player definitely shouldn't have this.

DragonV2

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2012, 03:06:29 PM »

if we do have an endgame fight as it were, i don't want it all the be decided in one battle, id rather have it be a gauntlet of events (fleet battles, diplomacy, catastrophic events (supernova, asteroid impact)) and once its over you either have to try and survive the aftermath, mop up the remaining resistance or take a holiday on a remote tropical planet :)

Tarkets

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2012, 04:05:17 PM »

They said there's planets infused with terraforming nano-bots that are dormant or are stuck in a stage of the process. Player finds the code to reactive them, shazam you've got a nice new planet but you still haven't solved the larger problem.

The Starflight games were hugely free-roaming and still had great over-arching plots and endgames so it's certainly do-able, it's just whether it fits their vision for the game.

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2012, 03:28:15 AM »

I've seen having many sup chain-quests each telling part of the main story works better, also right now if you havent notice, games started to focus on events instead of a single massive quest line that will never change if you ever play the game again.

As for the terraforming, IF alex makes somehow the creation of solar system, automatic as in, you visit a new solar system, and when it loads its actually creating a completly random new system (unless its a system that needs to be made in for a quest line).

SwipertheFox

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2012, 11:27:17 AM »

Why would anyone want end game in first place. I wanna play this forever  ;D

I agree!!!  I want the empire of the IDF to last * FOREVER *  ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3