Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Universal Variant Saving  (Read 2772 times)

JaytheJuggernaut

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Universal Variant Saving
« on: September 28, 2012, 04:54:25 AM »

I did a search and only found this briefly mentioned in "Silly Suggestions".

I spent some time in the random-battle-mission-thingy recently working on new ships for my campaign, and when I loaded up the campaign, the variants weren't there. I checked missions screen, so they hadn't vanished, but hadn't transferred. Also, deleting a campaign will erase all variants that are saved in it. I was not sure if this was a bug or clog-reducing intended feature, so I gave Alex the benefit of the doubt and posted here.

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Universal Variant Saving
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 06:44:55 AM »

+1

This is such a pain when making my Setup videos.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 08:02:45 AM »

One reason for this is that eventually (I'm hoping next update) we are going to be able to build variants with more OP, if we have the skill. Transferring those variants to another game would basically let a player bypass the skill.

Also, and this is more speculation, we will be able to find variants with more OP in campaign - see the wolf strike variant - even more tying variants to a single save file.

JaytheJuggernaut

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 08:35:08 AM »

One reason for this is that eventually (I'm hoping next update) we are going to be able to build variants with more OP, if we have the skill. Transferring those variants to another game would basically let a player bypass the skill.

Also, and this is more speculation, we will be able to find variants with more OP in campaign - see the wolf strike variant - even more tying variants to a single save file.

Ah, this makes sense. If this is how Alex is going to make it happen, I'm extremely fine with this. Before the update, syncing variants would have been nice, but after...So much more sense to do it this way.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 01:15:53 PM »

+1, but the big thing is, it'd be really, really nice if it saved it to the game/mod's variant directory in the JSON format.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

DelicateTask

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 07:00:13 PM »

+1, but the big thing is, it'd be really, really nice if it saved it to the game/mod's variant directory in the JSON format.
Actually, I really like this idea. I mean, if you wanted to create OP-defying variants outside the game and add them in, nothing's going to stop you. It would be nice to be able to save variants made in-game to a .variant file, so that people who want to have them and use them for their own purposes (meaning things other than bypassing campaign progression) can use them. There will be people who want to create videos or find other ways to demonstrate or test things, and giving them ways to do so would really help.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 08:29:16 PM »

Well you can do this in dev mode - the 'save' option from the main menu edit variants. It wouldn't be an in game thing, but you have access to all weapons so...