Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Endgame Battle  (Read 12801 times)

flanker37t

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Endgame Battle
« on: September 23, 2012, 12:20:56 PM »

I know, it's kinda too early to talk about it, but here's what I think: near the end of the campaign my (player's) fleet will be able to obliterate three Hegemony System Defence fleets in a row without heavy casualties. But a good game needs an epic (and difficult) battle in the end. So, think Star Control: blah-blah-blah, everyone fight with each other, and suddenly an ancient alien battleship appears. All humans gather their fleets and attack it. Boring? No, it's a space opera, it must have alien battleships! :)
   Game-wise it means a huge battle, with 1000 FP-sized fleet on one side (humans) and a single battleship on the other. Again, for the sake of simplicity, I will refer to Star Control and call this battleship "Sa-Matra". The Sa-matra should be as large as ten-twenty Onslaughts and as powerful as twenty-forty Paragons, it should probably spawn frigate- or destroyer-sized ships. And, it should be a hard fight. Not just "I-died-five-times-before-winnig" hard, but "OMGWTFBBQ-HOW-AM-I-SUPPOSED-TO-BEAT-IT" hard.
   I've given this battle some thoughts and came with several ideas to make it interesting and tactical (I hate battles where we can just command "kill 'em all!" and win), but first I'd like to hear some critics. So, forum guys (and Alex, of course! :D), what do you think?

hydremajor

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Endgame Battle
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 12:26:57 PM »

Funny fact

Paragons became the lesser capital ship when the Tachyon Lances were nerfed through the ground so referring to them firepower wise does mean crap...

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 12:31:10 PM »

Funny fact

Paragons became the lesser capital ship when the Tachyon Lances were nerfed through the ground so referring to them firepower wise does mean crap...

Lesser? That thing still owns everything. Now that I use autopulses instead, it can really violate some rectum.

Just so happens I made a video about the Paragon today. **

flanker37t

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 12:33:15 PM »

Funny fact

Paragons pwn everything they see since the introduction of their Fortress Shield. In my simulations, one auto-piloted Paragon can easily chew two Onslaughts and a couple of cruisers at the same time. Oh, and by "powerful" I meant not only firepower, but their overall strength.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 12:36:15 PM by flanker37t »

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 12:41:39 PM »

Boring?
Yes. I like the atmosphere in the game the way it is now. Ruining it with "OMG ALIENS MUST KILL BECOME HERO" isn't cool.

flanker37t

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 12:49:03 PM »

I like the atmosphere in the game the way it is now. Ruining it with "OMG ALIENS MUST KILL BECOME HERO" isn't cool.

There are some mentions of aliens in the lore IIRC, and the point is not to get a trophy and become a hero, but to save mankind AND yourself, in the first place. I can't come up with a good final battle without aliens. Hell, I once destroyed an Onslaught with an Omen! I just try to create a very-very difficult enemy, because the more experience the player gets, the less difficult the game is to play.

LostInTheWired

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 12:50:57 PM »

End-game shouldn't be about aliens, lore-wise or not.  Seems silly.  Just tossing it in at the end seems kind of a shock, and not a good one.  XD   Honestly, it should be about trying to control the system(s), thus managing your fleets.  End game is taking over, kind of like Mount and Blade.

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 01:10:16 PM »

Why would anyone want end game in first place. I wanna play this forever  ;D
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

flanker37t

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 01:11:42 PM »

Not a single positive comment, eh? ::) Well, that was a crappy idea, I guess. But still - anyone who didn't play Star Control 2 MUST download "The Ur-Quan Masters" and play this awesome, brilliant, best space-game ever. ;)

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2012, 01:59:10 PM »

I'd actually like to see the game progress as a race against the clock. Resources are slowly becoming scarce. Everything is being used up, and humanity (in this sector at least) is slowly dying. Your job is to slow it down as much as possible. Allies become enemies as their supplies dwindle to the point that they have to either attack you or die, sectors rich in trade die out due to the lack of materials and people to buy and sell to, ect.

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2012, 02:59:02 PM »

Funny fact

Lesser? That thing still owns everything. Now that I use autopulses instead, it can really violate some rectum.

Just so happens I made a video about the Paragon today. **

Pfft, my point defense paragon is better.

flanker37t

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2012, 09:07:24 PM »

I'd actually like to see the game progress as a race against the clock.

Well, that's a... that's a... that's an awesome idea! But most players hate the ticking of the timer and an imminent deadline will probably scare a lot of people. I don't think Alex will implement it, sadly.

LostInTheWired

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2012, 09:28:57 PM »

I'd actually like to see the game progress as a race against the clock. Resources are slowly becoming scarce. Everything is being used up, and humanity (in this sector at least) is slowly dying. Your job is to slow it down as much as possible. Allies become enemies as their supplies dwindle to the point that they have to either attack you or die, sectors rich in trade die out due to the lack of materials and people to buy and sell to, ect.
While it's interesting and all, if ever implemented, I would hope it was more of an "iron-man" mode, more than anything.  I like to have long games, or never-ending games.  I build my own goals.  It's why I love X3 and Dwarf Fortress and Mount and Blade.  In these games, I always have one character I go back to.  The one that has 100 hours or more clocked.  I don't see that happening with the "ticking time-bomb" factor, and would be disappointing for me.

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2012, 11:06:54 PM »

Well, that's a... that's a... that's an awesome idea! But most players hate the ticking of the timer and an imminent deadline will probably scare a lot of people. I don't think Alex will implement it, sadly.
Oh nooooo.Please nooooooo. No timers, no something that will tell me THE END DUDE START NEW GAME. Nooooooooooooooooooo
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2012, 12:04:32 AM »

It wouldn't be a HARD timer.  :)

And there'd have to be ways of actually reversing this to the point that someone somewhere is doing just fine.

It'd be a spiral up to boring complacence instead of a spiral down to destruction.  :)

Not that I wouldn't mind the awesome downward spiral.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire
Pages: [1] 2 3