Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ALex how about a youtube lets play of 0.5a  (Read 7839 times)

ollobrains

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
ALex how about a youtube lets play of 0.5a
« on: December 31, 2011, 12:06:38 AM »

If u have time how about even a weekly 5 minute youtube video on how youre progressing or even for 0.5a as it stands now just give us an overview along witn youre blogs in a visual graphic youtube sense on how youre progressing

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: ALex how about a youtube lets play of 0.5a
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 03:18:34 PM »

It's not a bad idea, but it does take a fair bit of time. Depending on what quality you're aiming for, I suppose :) Definitely something to consider.

In the meantime, let me leave this here.

ollobrains

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 01:01:00 AM »

quality can just be a quick 5 minute lets play even that u do in a spare moment and just up load it even if just for us forum whorages who will probably spread the word around the web just somethign to promote it something that takes up a only a small amount of youre time to

Tiax

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 12:25:12 PM »

BTW, did you tried to contact TotalBiscuit?

I guess he'd be happy to do a "Wtf is Starfarer", and that would give you TONS of visibility.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 12:42:20 PM »

I guess he'd be happy to do a "Wtf is Starfarer", and that would give you TONS of visibility.

I've been holding off on doing any sort of publicity push until the game is more complete. I think once 0.5a proper (not the preview) is out, then it'll be a good time to get the word out more actively. Only one chance to make a first impression and all that.

Zarcon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 12:52:09 PM »

I've been holding off on doing any sort of publicity push until the game is more complete. I think once 0.5a proper (not the preview) is out, then it'll be a good time to get the word out more actively. Only one chance to make a first impression and all that.

I agree, people are tricky that way.  :)  And also, I think once that first impression occurs, it will be a very positive one at that.
There is no instance of a nation benefitting from prolonged warfare.
Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.

Dohon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 04:32:17 PM »

Funny thing is, I had already pestered TB about it a few months ago. Luckily, he ignored me. Like Alex pointed out, a 0.5a version would show a better picture of Starfarer. 0.35a already rocks the boat, but it's just one piece of the cake. A very tasty piece though. Time for another bite!
Into the fires of battle, unto the anvil of war! - Battlecry of the Salamanders, Space Marine Chapter, Warhammer 40.000. [...] for in the grim dark future there is only war.

Tiax

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 05:33:34 PM »

[/quote]

[/quote]

You're obviously right, I think I'm suffering from a bit of over-eagerness.

This said, there's something I will maintain no matter what: this game is already worth 10$ in its current state. And I'm not the only one thinking so (have a look at the comments on RPS).

Kudos to you guys!

Jaimes

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 11:47:11 PM »

If u have time how about even a weekly 5 minute youtube video on how youre progressing or even for 0.5a as it stands now just give us an overview along witn youre blogs in a visual graphic youtube sense on how youre progressing

Oh that would be nice.  ;D

The guys in Firewolf do this at a regular basis with Overgrowth, and is pretty awesome the support they get from the community.

But like Alex said, maybe letting the game bake in the oven a little more would ne necessary. But nice idea, anyway.  ;)

theShadow

• Lieutenant
  • Power Overwhelming
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2012, 05:42:46 PM »

well, thats to accompany a weekly unstable release. however, weekly progress videos would be nice.

and fyi, it's wolfire ;)
Quote from: Archon
Why has a developer ever needed any reason other than "it looks bloody awesome"?

I do 3D modeling and map creation for an open source fps called xonotic

ollobrains

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 02:02:11 AM »

some games companies do a weekly realise others have a more conservative and wait and see and go for more timed outputs

BeanusMaximus

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 03:58:28 AM »

Ooooo I support a lets play!!
RAWR (dunno why I did that)

Feel free to follow me on twitter >:D https://twitter.com/#!/TOBeanus

Other than that I have a dream, that dream is to dream of dreaming of dreams.

Deathcrow

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 12:30:10 PM »

It's not a bad idea, but it does take a fair bit of time. Depending on what quality you're aiming for, I suppose :) Definitely something to consider.

I agree that it is a good idea. Maybe something could be done in the style of the weekly by Wolfire games. They are very short and easy to make, but also quite informative, giving the users an idea whats going on in development.

I also hope when 0.5a gets released we will have a quicker release schedule? Remember, release early, release often. You are running the risk of becoming much too perfectionist or possibly backing yourself into a corner when you work that long without releasing something. :)

Zarcon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 02:38:00 PM »

I agree that it is a good idea. Maybe something could be done in the style of the weekly by Wolfire games. They are very short and easy to make, but also quite informative, giving the users an idea whats going on in development.

I also hope when 0.5a gets released we will have a quicker release schedule? Remember, release early, release often. You are running the risk of becoming much too perfectionist or possibly backing yourself into a corner when you work that long without releasing something. :)

The current delay has more to do with the broad scope of the changes and the groundwork layer nature of the changes than any sort of perfectionist tendencies in my opinion, I'm sure that the Preview version of 0.5 that we will receive shortly will be far from perfect, but it also has to be playable and functionally working.    ;)
There is no instance of a nation benefitting from prolonged warfare.
Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.

BeanusMaximus

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 10:52:41 AM »

The current delay has more to do with the broad scope of the changes and the groundwork layer nature of the changes than any sort of perfectionist tendencies in my opinion, I'm sure that the Preview version of 0.5 that we will receive shortly will be far from perfect, but it also has to be playable and functionally working.    ;)

I agree (I'm already getting giddy for it haha) xD
RAWR (dunno why I did that)

Feel free to follow me on twitter >:D https://twitter.com/#!/TOBeanus

Other than that I have a dream, that dream is to dream of dreaming of dreams.