Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Warp drive more feasible than first thought  (Read 22589 times)

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
Re: Warp drive more feasible than first thought
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2012, 02:47:12 PM »

I just probably did have a horrible brain-fart, as per usual when i try writing something constructive at night. What i meant to say was that the glory of way simply was of ask the heroic deeds from (not fighting!) but the technology that advanced, or the lives that where saved by the medics

And if you both think of war as such disgusting, them why are we still having wars?

@arcibalde i assume that you've personally experienced war first-hand to have a right to say they, no? My grandfather was involved first-have in both WWI and WWII. My father has also experienced war first hand, when the Balkan war broke out.

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2012, 02:49:43 PM »

And if you both think of war as such disgusting, them why are we still having wars?

Simple greed is why

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2012, 02:57:45 PM »

I'm from Balkan. And i was 17 when NATO bombard my country. So about tomahawks, ammunition storage explosion and many other things, yes i was there personally. I see it i feel it. It wasn't like wars before with guns and foot soldiers but it was war. Little girl, 5 years old, going to bathroom, sitting on the toilet get killed by bomb shrapnel flying through window (40cm x 40cm) and hitting her in head. Do you think she is happy about technological advancement?

I totally agree with K-64 about greed thingy. War isn't about advancement it's about greed and money. That is all, everything else is pure collateral damage.
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2012, 03:10:35 PM »

Ok, it's good to know you are 15, that means you still have a lot of time to form and progress your opinions. Maybe it's good for you to see the reaction of people who have actual experience with those matters, or have at least thought and learned about it more.

Wrongly termed then (excuse me, but i would not know a better term for it), but again, war has led to some good things. Like aforementioned tech advances. Or some stuff like that. Although i would agree that todays wars are rather meaningless. Atleast WWII had a cause behind it (for both sides too). Today is more of a war over drugs than anything.

I think I kind of grasp were you are coming from with this. Competition, rivalry and pressure to innovate are strong motivating forces for technological progress. And war is a form of heavy competition.
Still, to generalize that war means progress is a big mistake. The potential motivation for progress is opposed by a much higher potential for degeneration and decay of civilization. There are many wars in history that did not further development, but eroded cities, nations and peoples. The antique civilization of Rome with all it's technological and philosophical prowess was eradicated by war, which lead to the period of time known as the dark ages.
The Thirty Years' War in the seventeenth century depopulated and set back parts of Europe for 100 years to come, to name another example.
arcibalde described much better than I could how it is with modern wars.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Gaizokubanou

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2012, 03:34:44 PM »

Because people can disagree (not just verbally, but through actions) with each other to the point where killing the opposing side seems like the best idea for one or more of the parties involved.

And just because something is (in your argument, that war exists) doesn't mean it is the right thing (is war good or bad).  I can say that evil exists... that doesn't translate into an argument that therefore evil is not so evil.  It's just a statement about reality.

Aratoop

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2012, 12:00:53 AM »

Back on topic before this gets nasty...

I think this is brilliant, even though it won't happen in any of our lifetimes :p
The community's response to a change is inversely proportional to its importance.

What do you call a dog who's a magician? A labracadabra

Rowanas

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2012, 03:11:35 AM »

Back off topic, I like the nasty :P (I'm kidding, I'll re-track this thread by the end of my post)

I'm entirely undecided about war. I don't have enough experience or data to work out whether the overall progression, de-population and resulting diplomatic ties that arise from war are equal to the reasonably temporary, but pretty horrific suffering caused by it. Certain wars may have added to the general pool of happiness, while others did not. I believe strongly that it can be a good thing to kill somebody, and as an extension, to kill many people, so it's something I haven't properly come to grips with yet.

Thread Re-railing!

How the hell does changing the rough shape cause such a vast difference in the enrgy required? I get streamlining and I suppose there might be something similar in high energy physics, but what is it that caused this massive jump in energy consumption?

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2012, 07:55:05 AM »

I'm entirely undecided about war. I don't have enough experience or data to work out whether the overall progression, de-population and resulting diplomatic ties that arise from war are equal to the reasonably temporary, but pretty horrific suffering caused by it. Certain wars may have added to the general pool of happiness, while others did not. I believe strongly that it can be a good thing to kill somebody, and as an extension, to kill many people, so it's something I haven't properly come to grips with yet.

Leave it to a guy who wishes humanity to end to list de-population as a positive aspect of war... at least you are consistent in you misanthropy.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2012, 08:03:27 AM »

Leave it to a guy who wishes humanity to end to list de-population as a positive aspect of war... at least you are consistent in you misanthropy.

Me? I did never say that that was a positive aspect of war! I said that the technological advancements and lifes that heroic and brave medics save, not the horrible deeds idiots can accomplish!

LordHerpDerpington

• Lieutenant
  • Space lasers are the best kind of laser
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to the centre of the Internet.
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2012, 08:22:30 AM »

On topic: @rowanas - That's a good point. However, some shapes do affect things - aerodynamics, for instance, and parabolic mirrors. However, I could be wrong if I said that the shape of the ship worked that way, so I won't.

Back off-topic: Damnit guys, stop being depressing.
It sounds as reasonable as the rest of quantum mechanics, so why not? 

I feel warm inside every time someone calls me "Your Lordship" or "My Lord"

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2012, 08:31:04 AM »

Me? I did never say that that was a positive aspect of war! I said that the technological advancements and lifes that heroic and brave medics save, not the horrible deeds idiots can accomplish!

No, Rowanas. The quote was a hint.

@ Topic: As long as there is no theoretical physicist in our midst there is little hope of understanding the details of how a shape change can have that effect for any of us.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 08:39:37 AM by Gothars »

Rowanas

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2012, 08:56:02 AM »

@ Topic: As long as there is no theoretical physicist in our midst there is little hope of understanding the details of how a shape change can have that effect for any of us.

Eureka! If I became flatter around -my- midsection, I too would be able to move vast distances in a short amount of time! The previous design was simply a little porky. Nothing to be ashamed of, little theoretical warp-capable craft, it happens to the best of us.

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2012, 09:39:41 AM »

Well, this isn't the discussion I thought would spring up from this post.

And to contribute to the, ya know, actual topic, here's a wikipedia article about the warp drive mentioned in the article. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive

And after reading it, I take back most of my claims (this is what happens when you read news articles and not scientific journals for science stuff *sigh*). I'm still willing to bet that, if scientists are on the right path and this thing can be made, it'll happen before the end of the century.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 09:48:35 AM by naufrago »

LordHerpDerpington

• Lieutenant
  • Space lasers are the best kind of laser
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to the centre of the Internet.
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2012, 11:41:46 AM »

Back on topic: Okay, so it's not that possible.

For those of you who haven't read about the physics, the "exotic matter" has to have negative mass. So it won't be happening anytime soon.

As I understand it, the way that space-time works is that objects with mass make a dent in it, as they push down on the fabric. Sort of. Not really.

The negative mass pulls in the space-time around it, allowing it to cross the contracted mass in front of it. Sort of. Not really.

I think that's how it works. I think.
It sounds as reasonable as the rest of quantum mechanics, so why not? 

I feel warm inside every time someone calls me "Your Lordship" or "My Lord"

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2012, 12:28:07 PM »

negative mass.

Does that not apply to Dark Matter?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6