Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Doomsday(s)  (Read 8848 times)

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
Re: Doomsday(s)
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2012, 02:18:18 PM »

1 in 10,000 doesn't sound good.

Jokes aside, there was a translating error on the mayan calendar. It's not doomsday, it's a new beginning.

I heard that it was simply them basically converting to a different system, someone used the example from imperial to metric and such, and we basically blew it massively out of proportion, as the public tends to do.
And! And!
Mayans didn't count leap years, so technically 2012 has already happened.
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

sirboomalot

• Admiral
  • Boom
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2012, 02:27:10 PM »

Actually, the leap year thing as a reason against 2012 isn't really true. The Mayans used a different time-scale than we do, and didn't actually need to add leap-years in order to keep proper track of time (the whole reason why we need leap years is because while our time system has each day as 24 hours exactly, in reality each day is 24.00something hours long. (or 23.99something hours long, I don't remember) leap years were basically added in to make sure our time didn't slowly drift as the time passed). There was a youtube video made that explained all this, but I doubt I will bother to find it.

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2012, 03:49:23 PM »

Im sure this video will be useful.

CGPGrey is awesome.

Mayan Calendar

Leap Years
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 03:51:47 PM by Faiter119 »

sirboomalot

• Admiral
  • Boom
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2012, 06:36:10 PM »

Faiter found tha video I was talk'n bout! It is the very first one that he listed.

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2012, 10:06:56 PM »

Haven't watched the videos (no time atm) so I don't know if they address this, but the mayans' belief in a cycle of death and rebirth is not in any way linked to the calendar archaeologists found. Dec. 21, 2012, just happens to be when that calendar runs out of dates. To put this in familiar terms, we don't freak out that the world is ending every New Year's Eve, we just get a new calendar.

To further debunk the myth of the 'mayan apocalypse' happening soon, archaeologists have uncovered at least one other mayan calendar with dates past Dec. 21, 2012. Also, modern day mayans (they still exist, it's just the civilization that collapsed) don't think the world will end on Dec. 21 either. People be crazy.

Unrelated, I'm part mayan, which is why I've actually put a little time into looking these things up (slightly interested in my heritage). I don't think the world's going to end, so neither should you =)

Rowanas

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2012, 02:15:35 AM »

Naufrago, I'm glad someone put up that argument before I did. You pretty much used exactly the words I would've (and have, elsewhere). Plus, half of my family is descended from the Mayans (being from Belize and all). So, snap! My mum's way more into all that heritage stuff than I am, but I guess some of it rubs off.

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2012, 05:15:15 AM »

(first of all sorry for bad English but I do hope you understand me)Well, in Earth history everything happens in cycles. We have meteor hits that eradicate almost entire life, then super volcanoes (with ice age aftermath) super tsunamis, Earth's magnetic poles change sides (this one will fry our electronics  ;D  ) etc.

For example Yellowstone is crater of super volcano. It's wide like 80km x 40km (if i remember correctly) so it's freaking big. It have enormous lava reservoir that always stay on same place and tectonic plates slowly move over him and when is time for eruption it made new hole in Earth crust. So scientist study it's cycles of eruption and guess what  ;D   It is time.

Then we have some island near west Africa coast. It could brake in half. It have large fissure along entire island and if it would crack and drop in water it would create super tsunami that would crush east coast of America. And this things come in cycles too...

And then there is Earth killers asteroids. We find out about 1000 of them and each is big enough to squash life on Earth. And they too drop on us (Earth) in cycles and now is time for one...

So, we got LOTS stuff that can kill us tomorrow or even today or 1000 years from now. We can't predict that.
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2012, 05:27:39 AM »

You know, following everyones logic about doomsdays, you could die tomorrow in a plane crash, have a bus hit you, car, bike, trip, etc.

Doomsdays, to me, are just exaggerations. I mean, come on! When did we start to fear death? I mean, everyone will die at one point. There's no doubt about it.

GUNINANRUNIN

• Admiral
  • Let's do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2012, 11:17:20 AM »

Can't wait to see how people are going to react to this year's Doomsday (Mayan Calander Doomsday). How many times have we been through this now?
In short, if you throw a stone out of the rear window of your spaceship you will go faster.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2012, 11:21:01 AM »

5? Or is this the 6th time?

LordHerpDerpington

• Lieutenant
  • Space lasers are the best kind of laser
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to the centre of the Internet.
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2012, 11:25:44 AM »

I won't go outside on the night of the 20th, because there are going to be loads of nutters hiding around the parks and stuff.

Inb4 "Haha northerners" comment.
It sounds as reasonable as the rest of quantum mechanics, so why not? 

I feel warm inside every time someone calls me "Your Lordship" or "My Lord"

GUNINANRUNIN

• Admiral
  • Let's do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2012, 11:27:50 AM »

5? Or is this the 6th time?
I remember last year when it happened. My dad told me "Hey son! Guess what? Some ja***ss said we're all gonna die tomorrow HAHAHA!!" I just laid in bed and watched Gladiator for the bajillionth time. It would've been a good way to die, but I was still super-depressed until five minutes after midnight. Then I was happy. :)
In short, if you throw a stone out of the rear window of your spaceship you will go faster.

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2012, 11:41:16 AM »

Haha southerners :P

Rowanas

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2012, 05:12:18 PM »

I won't go outside on the night of the 20th, because there are going to be loads of nutters hiding around the parks and stuff.

Was that for me? I don't hate all notherners! I just think your cities are ugly and grey, and your terrain is insufficiently beautiful to make up for the silly accents. I stock up on tins of things and book holidays off from work for apocali (real word now), just in case there's something to them, but given the lack of date-based apocalyption (also totally legit), I'm not holding out.
Pages: 1 [2]