Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 31

Author Topic: The Lore Corner  (Read 254916 times)

sdmike1

• Admiral
  • Dyslexics of the world, untie!
    • View Profile
Re: The Lore Corner
« Reply #105 on: January 22, 2013, 07:36:52 AM »

Is there any info on the "non-human race" the Domain of Man supposedly  had a war with? (this is not suggesting that they be added to Starsector, as I think an alien race would ruin the feel of the game)
As far as i know, no, but who knows, maybe they had something to do with the shutdown of the portals... dun dun dun!!! (there needs to be an emoticon for the "dun dun dun!!!" thing :P)

Lucian Greymark

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 23, 2013, 06:10:19 AM »

Are there any ships that can go ftl without a different dimension?

How do your ballistic weapons work in spess? Are they all mass accelerators or do they have liquid ignition propellant?

Why do our ballistic weapons suddenly loose range after their arbitrary number? There is no friction in spess, is there lore for this or is it just game balance?

What time period are we looking at here? How far from our current existence is the game set?

If I were to go to a core world as an independent mercenary (Non pirate) what kind of reception could i expect from the different factions?

Provided that cryogenics work as advertised have they woken up Walt Disney yet? And if so where is mickey mouse?

sdmike1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 23, 2013, 06:55:37 AM »

Are there any ships that can go ftl without a different dimension?

...snip...
As far as i know, the only times when the laws of physics don't apply is when it is convenient for the almighty being known as "The Alex" who is an omnipotent omniscient force who controls the universe and everything in it, so yes ships can go FTL but only if the The Alex wills it.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 23, 2013, 07:03:08 AM »

How do your ballistic weapons work in spess? Are they all mass accelerators or do they have liquid ignition propellant?

In Starfarer, Domain advances in chemical engineering, nanotechnology and industrialization have led to the development of even more advanced chemical propellants. Of course, not all guns in the game use chemical propellants, as people have noted in the thread. Some are rail guns, others are much more exotic and use Lorentz force to propel their projectile (Mjolnir cannon).

They key thing to remember is that the technology at use in the sector was actually developed during different Epochs of the Domain. And, unlike real life, new tech is not almost always better than the old.

Why do our ballistic weapons suddenly loose range after their arbitrary number? There is no friction in spess, is there lore for this or is it just game balance?

I'd say the lore explanation is inaccuracy on the Z axis. So they pass below or above the target.

What time period are we looking at here? How far from our current existence is the game set?

It's the year 3126.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Lucian Greymark

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 23, 2013, 07:18:01 AM »

Excellent. Thanks for the nifty reply. I posted a short story in the forum.

mostmodest

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 01, 2013, 12:56:03 AM »

I've got a few of my own.
(Starting a story about a lovely man named John Nicholson)

How are the systems manned? (As in, are the weapons computer controlled or are gyroscopic seats used to aim the guns? Does the pilot use pedals?)

How rare is it for an individual to leave his position as a crew member for someone else and start a fleet of his own? (or how rare is it for someone to gift an extraordinary officer with his own ship?)

I'll probably have a few later...
Anyway, help is appreciated. :D
Yes, you are reading to far into this.

sdmike1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 01, 2013, 07:22:49 AM »

gunning, i like to assume for the smaller guns that it is kinda like that seen in star wars where they are shooting the TIE-fighters in the falcon, except on the bigger guns i like to think of that like a actual battleship gun with multiple people manning one gun.

for pilot, on bigger ships i like to think of it like star trek but for smaller ships (Hyperion(?) and fighters) i would think some petals are involved but honestly i don't know  :-\

dogboy123

• Captain
  • Boron military barracuda
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 07, 2013, 08:10:58 AM »

when a smaller ship's armor get's red-hot, what is it like to be inside?.
"I'm expecting an all-out tactical dogfight... followed by a light dinner.

robokill

• Captain
  • Hey, over there stop looking at my guns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 07, 2013, 09:05:27 AM »

10ft of advaced heat resistant radioctive protection intergrated kinectic distribution magic space stuff. you might be in a hound but even the people who made that are smart enoughe to put some sort of protection in.

On taht note i would some confirmation on a thaughte with starsector tech. As guns get more powerful you get more defence as defence increaes you need more guns. The if you took a dominater back and time and pointed it in the general direction of earth it would blow it away right. if this is true then its ok that a duel mg can rip energy shield and space laser destroy armor right.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 07, 2013, 11:53:43 AM »

when a smaller ship's armor get's red-hot, what is it like to be inside?.
If the armor is separated from the hull by a layer of vacuum, the it'd be almost perfectly insulated.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

dogboy123

• Captain
  • Boron military barracuda
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 08, 2013, 12:09:41 PM »

This is just a little nitpick if you will, if shields are overloaded more easily by kinetic damage. Then shouldn't shaped charges like the
Assault Chaingun do more damage to shields since shaped charges are kinetic?.
"I'm expecting an all-out tactical dogfight... followed by a light dinner.

sdmike1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 10, 2013, 01:57:16 PM »

The idea is that flux is specifically gravitational fluctuations. The ship's reactor provides power by transmitting spatial manipulations across gravitationally shielded conduits. Normal transmission is in the form of solitons. 1. Entropy builds up in the system through the creation of standing waves at various harmonics. When these standing waves at peak push more energy into the capacitors than they can handle, they short out. Flux vents are specialized grav-wave dissipation devices, and the visual effect from full-on flux blowing is due to ragged space warps. Perhaps quantum foam amplification.

The reactor also uses this space-warping capability to travel.
2. Fleets slow down near planets because the space is already warped; there's backpressure.
Fleets slow down near other ships for exactly the same reason; the space-warping reactors interfere with each other.

Ships use a different engine for combat manoeuvring. 3. This is why travel speed and combat speed aren't simply proportional to each other. Also, it is how enemy fleets entangle each other - they intentionally emit gravitational noise to short out the delicate transportation space-warping process. (Similarly, the contrasting planetary slingshot interaction.) Perhaps defenders turn on the noise at the last moment, whereas attackers aggressively fire up the noise, interfering with their own space-warp manoeuvring, and thus part of the reason they have fewer ships available to deploy.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed reading the idea as much as I did coming up with it.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 10, 2013, 03:25:23 PM »

Ships use a different engine for combat manoeuvring. 3. This is why travel speed and combat speed aren't simply proportional to each other. Also, it is how enemy fleets entangle each other - they intentionally emit gravitational noise to short out the delicate transportation space-warping process.

yeah, that, and in older ship designs that emit less gravitational noise in normal operation (like the enforcer, dominator, and onslaught), officers have discovered the ability to intentionally shut down their shields and maneuvering thrusters to stabilize the ship enough to engage the travel drive for a limited time, either to escape the current encounter or close in to weapon range. This action, however, puts the engine at extreme risk as, despite all possible measures to stabilize the ship, travel drive under combat level of interference makes the engine very volatile and it may explode under any significant level of impact.

The brilliant streaks of fire behind the ships created by the travel drive is rarely seen in combat, this combined with the high temperature in the engine rooms when engaged has caused many in this sector to dub this maneuver as the "burn drive"
mmm.... tartiflette

sdmike1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 11, 2013, 09:41:53 AM »

This is just a little nitpick if you will, if shields are overloaded more easily by kinetic damage. Then shouldn't shaped charges like the
Assault Chaingun do more damage to shields since shaped charges are kinetic?.
Basically shields are projections of the gravity waves of a black hole the high mass of the kinetic slugs (compared to the lower mass of the HE shots) makes the gravity handlers overload and and the EM radiation caused by the overload state creates a disabling EMP effect until the black hole decrees in size due to Hawking Radiation :) IMO

robokill

• Captain
  • Hey, over there stop looking at my guns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 18, 2013, 09:12:18 PM »

its a game and its sci fi and have all topics as me. ;D
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 31