Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 31

Author Topic: The Lore Corner  (Read 254956 times)

33k7

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: The Lore Corner
« Reply #405 on: August 28, 2019, 09:15:39 PM »

a few questions about the world

average human lifespan is it better than 79 current General human lifespan

is there any popular sports is basketball, baseball soccer and football still a thing

do large Capital ships have Hydroponics areas similar to the USG Ishimura's internal farm in Dead Space

curious if there is recreational activities for your crew a gym to workout in movies TV series video games Etc.

what type of foods do people eat kind of curious what you think the majority of people eat. besides the blue lobster and are there actually regular Lobster. 

a few questions about the faction leaders

Phillp Andrada
how old is he at start of game
does he have a family
does he have a second-in-command / emergency successor

Artemisia sun
how old is She at start of game
when did she initially become CEO
does she have a family

Baikal Daud
when did he become High Hegemon
how many High Hegemons have there been
does he have a family

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: August 29, 2019, 08:15:25 AM »

I'll answer a few of these as well as I can.

• average human lifespan is it better than 79 current General human lifespan
  • do large Capital ships have Hydroponics areas similar to the USG Ishimura's internal farm in Dead Space
  • curious if there is recreational activities for your crew a gym to workout in movies TV series video games Etc. 
  • what type of foods do people eat kind of curious what you think the majority of people eat.
  • besides the blue lobster and are there actually regular Lobster. 
  • Phillp Andrada
    does he have a family
    does he have a second-in-command / emergency successor

• To riff off Gibson, "The future is already here — it's just not very evenly distributed" - so: lifespans can vary wildly depending on access to wealth.
  • Probably no serious capital hydroponics, except perhaps in more civilian-oriented ships. Maybe a captain who valued creature comforts would have a small hydroponics setup, but it'd be nothing that could sustain the entire crew.
  • Yes to all.
  • Food on ships would tend to be pretty basic fare intended for very long shelf-life. (And I had some notion of growing high-protein genmod fungus in vats but not sure if I slipped that into a description anywhere.)
  • Possibly no regular lobsters. I'm into the idea that some things are simply lost to the Persean Sector. Eating actual large animals is definitely a luxury item.
  • Questions about Andrada may become more relevant soon due to how central he is to the Diktat's politics.
  • There have been at *least* 4 or so High Hegemons based on what I've written.

33k7

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: August 29, 2019, 10:12:40 AM »

thank you for answering my question so quickly

the game is awesome and the history behind it makes it even more interesting to me I look forward to Future updates. :)

Kat

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: August 29, 2019, 11:03:50 AM »

In the Magec system, there's the pirate station "Kanta's Den", and Kanta herself is described as "nearly 200 years old".

So, some people can expect to live a lot longer than 79. The average person probably not so much. And in some of the hive cities described in other star systems, life expectancy is probably a lot shorter.

Althaea

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: August 29, 2019, 12:02:29 PM »

• what type of foods do people eat kind of curious what you think the majority of people eat.

• Food on ships would tend to be pretty basic fare intended for very long shelf-life. (And I had some notion of growing high-protein genmod fungus in vats but not sure if I slipped that into a description anywhere.)

While I don't think the details are really spelled out anywhere, it's worth noting that most stations, ships and even planets in the sector do not grow their own food. (There are lots of inhabited planets in the core, but very few of them are conventionally "habitable".)

If the description of the "food" commodity item in the game is indicative, that implies that the vast majority of food is made with a long shelf-life in mind. Commercially produced food is largely certified to have a minimum shelf life of five years. Also, you can loot perfectly good food off of derelicts. If this is to be taken as canonical and not merely for the sake of having more varied loot, this indicates that "five years" is a lower bound, not an upper one.

If this food resembles anything we are familiar with today - which seems likely given the existence of "bread basket" worlds -, it would resemble the stuff used in military, survival and emergency rations. This could indicate a surprising variety in terms of ingredients and taste, though the distinctions in texture and shape of the food wouldn't be as varied, as I'm guessing it would usually be heavily processed and chopped into small chunks. Most people in the sector are more likely to be accustomed to dried apple and banana chips as opposed to the fresh fruit. Chocolate preserves really well and can be consumed in various ways and is probably the most common treat in the sector.

Meat is probably a rarity, and David said as much already. We know Volturnian lobsters are a delicacy across the sector, but they're presumably far too expensive for the average person or family to afford, except maybe on special occasions. So most protein for most people probably comes from pulses and beans, with nuts being another useful source.

As far as drinks go... We know (from the descriptions of bars in Tri-Tach space) that rich people drink fancy cocktails, still. Beyond that, ordinary alcohol (particularly in distilled forms similar to moonshine, made from potatoes or rice or some other widely-eaten staple crop), tea, and coffee are probably all widely available. Dairy products might exist but would probably be uncommon for the same reason meat is - if anyone's adding creamer to their coffee, it's probably made from oats or soy or something like that. Ice cream? Probably made from rice. It's probably a safe rule of thumb that any kind of animal product is most commonly replaced with a purely plant-based substitute.

Fresh produce (such as aforementioned fresh apples and bananas), fluffy bread, dairy etc. could be a lot more accessible on the breadbasket planets. Since those are controlled by the Luddites, that might well be a large part of the Luddic appeal.

This is all speculation, of course, but that's the kind of feel I get from the world of the game as has been presented to us so far? It's two-hundred years after the Collapse. Terraforming isn't really a thing people do anymore, and probably most people spend their entire lives in pressurized rooms.

33k7

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: August 29, 2019, 04:06:59 PM »

I think traditional Farms like on earth now is a rarity probably only existing for the ruling class I wouldn't be surprised if a steak actually cost 10,000 credits. but I do think meat is probably available especially pork. at the same time grazing animals are probably very rare if they exist at all cows, sheep and goats are the most likely to exist since they are General farm animals Gilead is probably the only core world that can support a decent population of them.
and considering who runs the planet advanced technology is probably not used to help increase population growth.

factory farms for pigs and chickens I can see being cost-effective they both can eat almost anything and can reproduce quickly as well as grow up quickly. but this would be a luxury good still even with this.

I think most of the pork and chicken would be put into other food products to increase protein in them. chicken and pork broth is most likely the closest the majority of people in the sector have gotten to actual tasting chicken and pork. considering both chicken and pork broth meet the standard Dominion shelf life.

Swine by-products are also important parts of products such as water filters, insulation, rubber, antifreeze, certain plastics, floor waxes, crayons, chalk, adhesives and fertilizer

Lard is fat from pig abdomens and is used in shaving creams, soaps, make-up, baked goods and other foods.

Poultry feathers -  can they be used for Pillow stuffing, Diapers,
Insulation, Upholstery, padding, Paper, Plastics and Feather meal/fertilizer

it's really interesting thinking about how mankind will expand throughout the Stars and what animals we might bring with us from old Earth.

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: August 30, 2019, 04:30:43 AM »

Why grow feet, eyeballs, etc. when you can just grow the primo chunk of meat in a vat? If meat is a luxury, real meat taken from a whole animal is even more. (Though the Luddics would opt for more traditional means.)

And then, why grow chickens or fish to grind up when you can grow much more efficient crickets or brine shrimp to grind up? (Related: I never quite understood why they were grossed out by the roach cubes in "Snowpiercer" considering the past cannibalism.) And, in general, it is more energy efficient to go lower down the food chain. Why grow a pig when you could grow high protein mush - derived in some convoluted way from soy, mold, insects, and some clever bacteria - in a rack of cylinders exposed to sunlight? Press it into bricks and you've got Spacer's Friend 'Blast-Off' Nutritional Replacement Bars: "guaranteed to sustain life in the lifeless void we call home"

If living beings can be used as a series of chemical reactors for different products, then I imagine the toolset at hand has been honed, if you will, in the Persean Sector. (& I like the idea that it would make us a bit uncomfortable to consider how lifeforms and living patterns would be adapted from a standpoint of efficacy.)

mco

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: August 30, 2019, 08:40:28 AM »

Hey hey folks, i'd like to know more about Luddic Path ideology for my playthrough.
I skimmed the thread and didn't find much unfortunately.

Basically the biggest question is where would they put a line between "necessary evil" technologies required for survival and absolutely haram ones?
Do they follow the stupid terrorist cliché or they can stretch their ideology because they will eventually realise they're not winning with their existing strategy?
I know that in islam for example you can commit what would be considered a minor sin if it's a life or death situation, because otherwise it would be suicide - which is a greater sin.
Would Pathers think the same? For example, would a Pather colony be fine with building orbital works? Because the alternative is flying in 5 D-mod lashers, which is basically suicide. Assuming you use your ordnance only against enemies of Ludd, of course. What about your own fuel production? It's not like it grows on trees, the only alternative is buying from your enemies thus funding them. And why they don't like refining, it's basically turning ores into metals, a technology thousands of years old.
I understand that AI cores and high tech ships are a big no-no. What about midline ships, are they considered too technologically advanced?
What about tech mining, assuming i keep the supplies and guns, give in AI cores and sell blueprints to pirates to destabilize the sector? Would that be fine? Or the planet with ruins is forever tainted? I think cleaning the ruins is actually kind of a cleansing of a planet.
By the way, why is LP neutral to pirates? For practical reasons(like they're both outcasts and agreed to use each others bases for resupply) or ideological(they don't use high tech and destabilize the sector)

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: September 06, 2019, 10:38:25 PM »

How well could an Alpha Core crack DRM?
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: September 16, 2019, 10:48:12 AM »

I don't think food is going to be so bad. Creating farm habitats in space is something we could do already with present day tools, assuming we had infrastructure in space, which folks in Starsector certainly do have. Creating fertile earth and breathable air is also just a matter of time and resources, not technology. Just break apart some carbon and ice asteroids, scoop some nitrogen from the atmosphere of whatever planet, stir it all in a rotating cylinder with some hardy microbes and wait for it to become fertile enough for plants. Even if we ignore the space habitats route, we still have to note that there exist multiple planets that can be dedicated entirely to food production. Making enough food is not an issue.

Herbivore domestic animals, while becoming relatively less important, will most likely still exist. People can eat some parts of plants, but not all. The remaining parts can be composted, or they can be fed to farm animals. The latter part will still provide compost later (after manure has been processed) and what is useful is that it has different properties to plant waste, so there might be some demand for it in the future. The second reason you want actual animals is milk. Well, maybe want, maybe not; it's hard (for me) to say if "animal milk" is meaningfully different from "plant milk". Presumably it might remain viable to some extent as traditional or luxurious alternative to mass-produced and cheap plant milk. The third reason is meat and most of reasoning is the same as for milk, though with the caveat that we still don't know how viable cultured meat will be. The possibilities range from "so bad, you don't want to eat meat at all" to "genuinely better at everything, except for the inedible parts". For Starsector, I'd like to shoot somewhere in the middle. Regular people can eat animal meat as often, as they did in the ages before industrialisation.

What I would really like for Starsector lore to do, though, is abandon this generic "we will eat mystery sludge in the future!" route for more DRM magic. Imagine if it got to the point, where there are oversized vending machine abominations in place of restaurants that grow, prepare and serve the food, all in one. Not just any food, though, only the special, corporate-approved McSpace McBurgers and McSpace McFries. Or Agricultural Intellect's finest vegetable and cheese Rye Rolls! So many foods, conveniently available anywhere... With the only caveat that various food companies own them all and they are quite protective of their designs. And that people got so used to them, they forgot how to prepare some (or even most!) of these foods on their own. And that various blueprints after the collapse might have been lost, so certain automated restaurants or vending rooms are irreplaceable and quite valuable, even if they are nothing special. And people are too busy fighting to fix all this stuff. And those companies that made those designs might not have made them... Completely free of side effects, for whatever the reason. Or that current factions do that. Suddenly, having a cow or a tree you can't just hack seems more appealing.

I feel this is more interesting take on food scarcity.

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: September 16, 2019, 09:45:35 PM »

-snip-

I feel this is more interesting take on food scarcity.
Interesting and lore compliant both.
Also got idea for suggestion from this.
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: September 22, 2019, 07:44:39 PM »

How well could an Alpha Core crack DRM?

yeah, they should be intelligent enough to reverse engineer ships and stuff right? Or maybe they know all the blueprints all along.

runetrantor

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: September 26, 2019, 06:34:31 PM »

Given we use a gamma core to crack FTL quirks in the tutorial, that are stated to take years if not using a core, I feel even a gamma would not even notice the DRM was there as it moved through.

An alpha would remake the game to avoid the DRM if it feels like it and it would be a weekend hobby.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: September 27, 2019, 03:01:43 AM »

Who is to say that it wasn't another alpha core that designed the DRMs?

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: September 27, 2019, 06:48:29 AM »

Who is to say that it wasn't another alpha core that designed the DRMs?

Mind Blown :o
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 31