Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 31

Author Topic: The Lore Corner  (Read 254946 times)

Vayra

• Admiral
  • jangala delenda est
    • View Profile
Re: The Lore Corner
« Reply #390 on: January 12, 2019, 06:28:10 PM »

Is Starsector lore moving away from mastery/core/expansion terms because it has changed, or just out of human convenience (i.e. nobody is ever able to remember low tech is mastery)?

I don't think I've ever used the terms in anything I've written as they didn't really fit how I thought of things. Nor have I made any big effort to remove it from the text (if any mention remains; I'm not totally sure). That said, I'm happy for for it to be the terminology of some fringe historian who releases hours-long ramblings about THE SECRET HISTORY OF THE DOMAIN on TriTube.

The sense I get from the "current" lore is that while the epochs still exist as ages of Domain history, they're no longer so explicitly linked to tech levels.
Kadur Remnant: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=6649
Vayra's Sector: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16058
Vayra's Ship Pack: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16059

im gonna push jangala into the sun i swear to god im gonna do it

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #391 on: January 12, 2019, 06:37:35 PM »

Hi, can anyone tell me the origin/idea/lore of the names of the celestial bodies (like Jangala, Tibicena, Magec) sitting in the core sector? Just out of interest because wanna do some write up. Thanks in advance!

harrumph had a excellent writeup here, although it's pre-League.
Quick addenda: Westernesse's system and planet names come from the King Horn romance. Kazeron is a corruption of "cast iron" (explanation).

Mr. Nobody

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: January 17, 2019, 06:50:01 AM »

I don't think this has been asked yet, or if it was, no answer was ever provided.

"What is flux exactly?"
Is it just a fancy word for "heat" and when i press "v" on my keyboard i'm just dumping off hot coolant into space?
Is it a physical substance? What are it's properties, beside causing your ship to look like one of those plasma ball lamps for a while when you have too much of it? In fact, why does it makes your ship to act like that? Why has nobody (well, except in a mod, from Dark Revenant i think) tried to use it as ammo or other stuff?
On the left half of the Bell curve

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: January 17, 2019, 11:56:38 AM »

For what it's worth, in veeeery early builds flux was inverted and called "energy" instead. In some old code the variable names even reflect this :) IIRC - and since it's been a while, it's a bit hazy - I ended up flipping it around because it made more in-fiction sense for causing overloads due to shield damage, and for the venting mechanic.
Flux is a crutch.

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: April 08, 2019, 12:43:32 AM »

I got a question, so have people in the sector tried send expeditions to slowboat back to the domain via hyperspace? I think there would surely be more self sustaining sectors elsewhere that hadn't collapsed. What happened to those?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 07:45:28 PM by goduranus »

lechibang

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: April 12, 2019, 10:14:37 AM »

Probably the game haven't touched any of those sectors yet and just the Persean Sector. Who knows, maybe some exploration by the Domain of Man were successful, whereas other ended up horribly wrong or downright failed when the Gates collapsed
Do it yourself, as people always say.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: June 21, 2019, 09:40:33 AM »

How common are planetkillers? Is it like WWII, where only a couple of nations have only a couple of them, or more like the Cold War, where there are hundreds or event thousands of them around? Or perhaps even worse, since everybody and their mother owns an autofactory.

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: June 22, 2019, 07:06:19 AM »

How common are planetkillers? Is it like WWII, where only a couple of nations have only a couple of them, or more like the Cold War, where there are hundreds or event thousands of them around? Or perhaps even worse, since everybody and their mother owns an autofactory.

Let's call it on the rare side. I would say that there is no (known) autofactory production and very limited stock. ... Some of which might also be unknown due to Domain armament distribution at the time of the Collapse also being unknown.

The XIVth definitely had a handful, at least one of which was used on Opis and, probably, one on Hanan Pacha. Tri-Tachyon got their hands on at least one PK during the course of the AI wars.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 10:56:23 AM by David »

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: June 22, 2019, 07:21:00 AM »

Thanks! I was wondering mostly due to the Opis incident. I mean, who brings a nuke along for a peace making operation?

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: June 22, 2019, 10:56:03 AM »

Thanks! I was wondering mostly due to the Opis incident. I mean, who brings a nuke along for a peace making operation?

Admiral Philip Andrada, that's who!
... I recall now that additional details of why exactly this made sense at the time is in my own notes and not in the game itself as-such. Well, we'll flesh out more of this backstory type of thing in the future, for sure.

Stevo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: August 11, 2019, 04:45:28 AM »

Hey, so I have a question. The Gates, why haven't they been salvaged yet? Are they considered universally sacred, or are they somehow too durable and strong to be broken down? I feel it may be the latter as when you pass through one the bridge is 'silent'.

Thanks!

runetrantor

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: August 14, 2019, 08:43:59 AM »

I assume they dont have any resource that is THAT desperately needed and that you cant find elsewhere.

Plus even if not religious, I imagine many still rather keep them, be it to study them in hopes of figuring out how to fix them someday, or a 'what if' that just as they suddenly shut down, someday they will turn on again.

If so, then all of the Domain reforms and whoops, the idiots at the Persean Sector scuttled all their gates 'for reasons'.

Maybe if a nation had an interest in isolating itself from a theoretical Domain return, because their policies are not in line or something.

Barring all that, I would see them as monuments personally. 
That's how I interpret the 'silent crossing thing, less of religious reverence (After all, the only shown religion says the Gates are literally the greatest sin. I am more shocked why the Pathers havent terrorist bombed them yet), but rather a moment of remembrance for the longe gone golden age of mankind.

Kat

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: August 24, 2019, 12:45:28 PM »

Came across something interesting/disturbing today, and it made me think about a few things.

You sometimes find cryo pods in salvage, and they can contain crew or officers. I've also found cryopods on decivilised worlds, containing planetary administrators  ???

And of course there's the Domain cryosleeper colony ships.

So, how long can people survive in cryo pods, or life pods ? How do the currently-manufactured cryo systems compare to Domain-era tech ? Are life pods and sleeper pods the same thing ?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Ragebrew

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: August 27, 2019, 07:28:14 AM »

Came across something interesting/disturbing today, and it made me think about a few things.

You sometimes find cryo pods in salvage, and they can contain crew or officers. I've also found cryopods on decivilised worlds, containing planetary administrators  ???

And of course there's the Domain cryosleeper colony ships.

So, how long can people survive in cryo pods, or life pods ? How do the currently-manufactured cryo systems compare to Domain-era tech ? Are life pods and sleeper pods the same thing ?

I figure they can remain in a sleeper pod so long as there is power to maintain it. And I also assume lifepods are sleeper pods, since it's a lot easier to keep someone on ice instead of having to keep them fed, watered and aired for however long they are in space.

33k7

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: August 27, 2019, 08:04:28 PM »

I've been looking around for a little bit and have read through most of this thread I was just wondering is there a thread devoted to the AI Wars,  Askonia Crisis Etc.

I've read through the A True and Accurate History of the Persean Sector and the backgrounds on most of the planets in game. just wondering if there's anything else?

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 31