Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 31

Author Topic: The Lore Corner  (Read 254895 times)

Vind

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: The Lore Corner
« Reply #375 on: October 18, 2017, 11:54:05 AM »

I wonder how Mayasura system and Mairaath ended up with Persian League control if Hegemony task force captured the system according to lore blog post.

Drokkath

• Captain
  • Xenophilic Mutant Commando
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: October 24, 2017, 05:15:52 PM »

I've become so distant and jaded of the lore of humanity in almost every game and quite a bit in RL too that I'm pretty much almost like Fane from Divinity Original Sin 2.
To quote Fane:

Spoiler
Fane: "Your history is an interminably dull list of mortals that were born, achieved nothing of worth, and then died.

Certainly one may have expanded his kingdom, or another invented some ways of pickling fish, but what does it matter?

Where will your kingdoms be in one hundred years? In one thousand? They will all be dust, along with each and every one of your great heroes.

Your people and nations come and go - mayflies screaming their importance at a universe that cannot listen.

But the universe is always there. The laws that govern your states change over centuries, but the laws of the world?
[NOPE]"
[close]

I don't mean to be condescending in the least but just like that Fane character, I just naturally see things in a grander scheme of things personally myself. I don't care about politics. I don't care about ruling some civilization. I don't care about running a fleet other than just being a pilot-captain of my own starship and live a peaceful exploring nomadic hermit life instead out there in the depths of space as I treasure peace so much more than war.

Hence partially why I play SS as a rogue element; usually as an alien who doesn't care about which humie in whatever faction got into the misfortune of proverbially barking up a wrong proverbial tree only to be squashed into a glassed pancake by a proverbial sledgehammer with density of about thousand dwarf stars. To call it an overkill is an unprecedented cosmical understatement. :D
I love playing SS that way as I get to rip and tear everything in combat without a moral compass and feel free to be an eldritch, chaos-godly horror to vent my fetid dark emotions and impulses away.

Unlike Fane though. I still care about SS' lore but in a more grander scheme of things as Domain left quite a large amount of tech across the galaxy, from sectors and redacteds to other stranger relics like the gates and planet destroyers. At least ships and their auto-factories in SS are built to last far, far beyond average lifespan of humans.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 06:47:42 PM by Drokkath »
For I dipt in to the future, far as my gazer eye could see; Saw the vision of the world, and all the wonder that would be.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #377 on: October 26, 2017, 08:01:46 AM »

I've become so distant and jaded of the lore of humanity in almost every game and quite a bit in RL too that I'm pretty much almost like Fane from Divinity Original Sin 2.
To quote Fane:

Spoiler
Fane: "Your history is an interminably dull list of mortals that were born, achieved nothing of worth, and then died.

Certainly one may have expanded his kingdom, or another invented some ways of pickling fish, but what does it matter?

Where will your kingdoms be in one hundred years? In one thousand? They will all be dust, along with each and every one of your great heroes.

Your people and nations come and go - mayflies screaming their importance at a universe that cannot listen.

But the universe is always there. The laws that govern your states change over centuries, but the laws of the world?
[NOPE]"
[close]
I like Nietzsche's original better

In some remote corner of the universe, poured out and glittering in innumerable solar systems, there once was a star on which clever animals invented knowledge. That was the highest and most mendacious minute of "world history"—yet only a minute. After nature had drawn a few breaths the star grew cold, and the clever animals had to die.

Drokkath

• Captain
  • Xenophilic Mutant Commando
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: October 26, 2017, 10:22:37 AM »

I like Nietzsche's original better

In some remote corner of the universe, poured out and glittering in innumerable solar systems, there once was a star on which clever animals invented knowledge. That was the highest and most mendacious minute of "world history"—yet only a minute. After nature had drawn a few breaths the star grew cold, and the clever animals had to die.

Hence the need to become a space-faring clever animal(s) to avoid death.

BTW, Fane's dialog in the Divinity Original Sin 2 RPG game has much more impact and meaning in the game plus the way he speaks with the player character. It's why I made spaces in-between for every continue or talking further dialog option to get more info out from him. :-\ Merely just clarifying that tidbit. It spoke almost my exact feelings about everything in the grand scheme of things.

That aside, the planet killers got my interest last time I read a bit of lore of SS. I'm not interested in them as a tool to be used but I'm instead interested in what they look like and how they function. Obviously killing a planet doesn't only condemn the people aimed to be annihilated but every single living thing on and in the planet will be rendered dead unless some rock-like and/or crystal-like or an extremely tough organical deep-dwelling lifeform can survive the blast and evolve by finding new ways to adapt to life in space. Not a fan of weapons that can destroy planets except in games as an evil character. Even when I do play as an evil character my moral sense tends to avoid destroying something that took astronomical ages to develop into a stable beauty.

I'm alright with in-game pillaging, looting and invading as it only involves civilized areas the most, surgical strikes aimed into the very infrastructure of some faction's stations and planetary structures. My way of imagining doing stuff whenever I mess with some faction in the game.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 12:54:01 PM by Drokkath »
For I dipt in to the future, far as my gazer eye could see; Saw the vision of the world, and all the wonder that would be.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: May 09, 2018, 10:25:43 PM »

It seems like the entire 200 year timeline of Starsector could easily fit into 50 years. All the debris fields would make more sense, at least.

Maybe it's the "past midnight" talking, but a lot of Starsector lore seems to make more sense in the context of a short timeline.

Troika

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: November 26, 2018, 12:14:47 AM »

Has anyone tried taking apart one of the dead gates?

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: November 26, 2018, 01:28:26 AM »

It seems like the entire 200 year timeline of Starsector could easily fit into 50 years. All the debris fields would make more sense, at least.

Maybe it's the "past midnight" talking, but a lot of Starsector lore seems to make more sense in the context of a short timeline.

there are worlds that were empty when the collapse happened and having billions of people now
50 years is too little.
Aaand, if you sit & read thru the Missions tooltips theres a lot of backstory that simply doesn't come up in the campaign
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: November 26, 2018, 12:27:36 PM »

there are worlds that were empty when the collapse happened and having billions of people now
50 years is too little.
For that, 200 years is too little. If there were 100 million people when the gates shut down, then reaching a billion with 1% yearly growth rate it would take 232 years. Which would be doable, but would there really be that many people there at the time? We already know many of them have died (Mairaath, Askonian Crisis, all these planet killers) and I doubt there was that many of them in the first place. Maybe one day there's going to be logical, concise timeline.

On a side note, isn't it weird how Hegemony doesn't really lose anything? It comes into the sector, captures half the colonies, then kinda loses both AI wars less than the other side, prevents Askonia from joining Persean League (kinda), they took over Mayasura (kinda)... They never lost THEIR stuff, at least not for nothing.

Embolism

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: November 26, 2018, 01:32:22 PM »

At least in the old lore, part of the Hegemony's strength was that they actually had core worlds (which in the new lore would be industrial Chicomoztoc, farming Jangala and cultural Eventide). Tri-Tachyon has Culann star forge and... that's about it, Eochu Bres isn't much of a powerhouse. The League sort-of has what the Hegemony has (industrial Kazeron, farming Mazalot and ?cultural Fikenhild) except not quite as good, plus the League bickers amongst themselves when they're not facing an external threat. The Luddics and the Sindrians are... well, they're the Luddics and the Sindrians.

So I don't find it weird that the Hegemony loses less than others. I also think they've lost plenty: Askonia is a definite backfire for the Hegemony, Mayasura was a tactical win but their goal was to glass Mairaath so it can't be used against them which wasn't (entirely) successful (presumably due to Persean intervention), making it a strategic loss; Naraka and even Aztlan were hit in the AI Wars (with on-going consequences), and some of the devastated systems (Tia-Ta'xet, Yma-Warawara) could well be Hegemony-controlled systems beforehand.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 01:53:01 PM by Embolism »

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: November 26, 2018, 02:04:58 PM »

50 years is too little.
For that, 200 years is too little. If there were 100 million people when the gates shut down, then reaching a billion with 1% yearly growth rate it would take 232 years. Which would be doable, but would there really be that many people there at the time? We already know many of them have died (Mairaath, Askonian Crisis, all these planet killers) and I doubt there was that many of them in the first place. Maybe one day there's going to be logical, concise timeline.

current IRL birthrates are inversely tied to people's access to healthcare & education. It wouldn't be a stretch to say that a lot of the systems that kept the Domain's birth rates stable
Spoiler
(and IRL birth rates rn (fun fact global human population growth has already been stopped (it'll grow until the post-WW2 populations have died off & been replaced by generations who didn't go thru/are the direct descendants of devastated populations, but after that the human race won't grow anymore for the foreseeable future))
[close]
were completely lost in the Collapse & resulted in a population explosion as the infrastructure that stabilized population growth were rebuilt locally
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: December 23, 2018, 05:49:53 AM »

Is Starsector lore moving away from mastery/core/expansion terms because it has changed, or just out of human convenience (i.e. nobody is ever able to remember low tech is mastery)?

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: December 23, 2018, 07:34:01 AM »

Is Starsector lore moving away from mastery/core/expansion terms because it has changed, or just out of human convenience (i.e. nobody is ever able to remember low tech is mastery)?

I don't think I've ever used the terms in anything I've written as they didn't really fit how I thought of things. Nor have I made any big effort to remove it from the text (if any mention remains; I'm not totally sure). That said, I'm happy for for it to be the terminology of some fringe historian who releases hours-long ramblings about THE SECRET HISTORY OF THE DOMAIN on TriTube.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: December 23, 2018, 07:51:34 AM »

[sample text meant to circumvent the issue when you get logged out in the middle of typing a message]
(if any mention remains; I'm not totally sure)
Tempest, Hurricane and Telepylus station still mention Expansion epoch, but that's about it.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #388 on: January 10, 2019, 04:14:08 AM »

Do comm relays allow real-time communication between systems?

Gameplay-wise, in previous versions the message latency could be up to several days, but in 0.9 it seems instant...

L2m

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: January 12, 2019, 01:38:07 PM »

Hi, can anyone tell me the origin/idea/lore of the names of the celestial bodies (like Jangala, Tibicena, Magec) sitting in the core sector? Just out of interest because wanna do some write up. Thanks in advance!
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 31