Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 31

Author Topic: The Lore Corner  (Read 254877 times)

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
Re: The Lore Corner
« Reply #345 on: May 09, 2017, 10:56:48 PM »

Kazerionian?
Asharian?
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

Maelstrom

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: June 16, 2017, 02:05:36 PM »

Ive got a question. What was the cause of the collapse? Will we ever know or will it be a mystery never told because it would suck to never have the chance to know :/ I mean after all we are like a god in this game, we have accelerated time to skip the boring trips and we have a codex with info about everything really. I would be great to at least know how many sectors there were, if this sector is bigger and stronger than the systems near earth, where this sector is located at in the galaxy and last but not least if this sector is the last sector alive (because I would assume a major war with an alien race obliterated the rest of humanity and shutting the gates to protect the last human colonies. Plus how is it that after 200 cycles of isolation humanity hasn't moved on to do some new research and finish terraforming the sector to at least make things go in the right direction. I feel like the fact they havent found any solutions to their problems and instead have wars with each other is kinda ridiculous as they are burning the few ressources they have on pointless battles.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: June 16, 2017, 04:30:19 PM »

the cause of the collapse was videogame preorder culture and unfettered early access nonsense. In the universe Starsector takes place in, Valve never axed Steam Early Access and never lost their domination of the PC marketplace, so even though humanity grew to incredible scope and scale of power, able to bridge the gap between stars with casual ease and terraforming planets to their suiting with no regard to the economic feasibility of doing so, the reality of the matter is that while the growth of human potential is non-linear, and the growth of the growth of humanity is non linear, the growth of the growth of the growth of videogame developer greed is nonlinear, expressed here as hH^2<S^3, so no matter how much of a headstart human endeavor got (h), steam greed (S^3) will outdo all of the good done by all deeds of progress mankind has made (H^2).
Of course, this dreaded point, at which all good deeds of mankind are outstripped by the greed of videogame developers and humankind becomes a slave to the perpetual scam of AAA videogame publishers, toiling away in fun mines for the rest of their lives, digging through the rock and the mud in desperate search for precious nuggets of fun to try to scam eachother out of with fraudulent early access and Kickstarter projects they'll start with no intention of ever finishing, was never actually achieved. We have made sure of that. In fact, the process by which this terrible fate will be diverted has already begun, and indeed Alex herself has written about it under her pseudonym, Peter Watts.
In the novelization of the real life events chronicling the non-fictional backstory of the collapse of the Domain of Man, it is revealed that mankind's super corporations are already aware of the impending collapse of the world economy, and have planted nuclear devices in the crust of the earth and all worlds colonized by man in the future, along with a string of hidden listening posts at the bottom of the abysses of the ocean along major fault-lines that send out pulses of tectonic energy and record the reverberations, sending their findings to dedicated sentient AI who maps out the exact damage that would be caused by force-detonating the largest earthquakes ever witnessed by man & the subsequent tsunamis that would tear through the continents, calculating the theoretical death-tolls of such a cataclysm (in terms of work-hours lost) while also calculating the theoretical number of work-hours lost to the predatory business practices of big videogame publishers and early access culture in general, this their proverbial thumb on the trigger and permission, nay a duty, to detonate the moment the lives lost to The Big One would be smaller than the lives lost to terrible Ubisoft games bought before they were released, and thus released before they were done.

Of course, the dark truth of the real world that we actually live in has been marked as a Sci-Fi novel, and not a very well performing one at that, by the world over largely due to the parts about the people manning the listening posts developing the ability to read minds, imprinting psychically onto each other, utterly losing their humanity and going on to inspire all of the parts of Bioshock 1 that weren't related to the game's theme of Objectivism, not that Ken Levine was honest enough to come out and admit that the dive-suit entombed inhuman psychic monstrosities were ripped off of Alex IE Peter Watts' work.
Anywho, the men in the white coats are here for me again so if you're interested in reading more, the book is free as an act of philanthropy by Peter Watts who is secrely Alex who is secretly a smart-bomb at the bottom of the sea
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Cik

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: June 16, 2017, 05:36:29 PM »

thanks

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: June 17, 2017, 05:51:09 PM »

(Alright, don't know what all that ^ was about, but- )

I feel like the fact they havent found any solutions to their problems and instead have wars with each other is kinda ridiculous as they are burning the few ressources they have on pointless battles.

In-deeeed.

As for the other questions, some possibilities are hinted at here and there in the game (and in the latest Starsector trailer video), and more exploration of these Big Questions will come in future content patches. Players have speculated some pretty good answers to some of the questions at well, so perhaps someone will chime in with some Theories...

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: June 18, 2017, 03:35:03 AM »

more exploration of these Big Questions will come in future content patches.

Can't wait :)

As to the whereabouts of the Sector, it's located in the Perseus arm, the next major galactic structure the Orion arm (where Sol is located).

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Maelstrom

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: June 18, 2017, 07:36:43 PM »

Cool thanks for the answers guys! Can't wait for the exploration goodies in the future :) So one question remains i guess which could be answered in some way, is there any other sectors? or was this the first wave of colonies?

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: June 18, 2017, 10:51:17 PM »

As for the other questions, some possibilities are hinted at here and there in the game (and in the latest Starsector trailer video), and more exploration of these Big Questions will come in future content patches. Players have speculated some pretty good answers to some of the questions at well, so perhaps someone will chime in with some Theories...

I'm still betting it was a botched KB-999544531428B update for their Starscreen OS that glitched the gates' FTL communication array and shut them down. Without FTL network, the UberSoft company now has to manually fly a hotfix on USB-247 sticks to every gate manually and reactivate them. The Sector being on the edges of the Domain, the spacecrafts delivering the hotfix have not reached them yet.

Maelstrom

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: June 19, 2017, 01:28:06 PM »

On that note that actually brings one possibility, a terrorist attack using a virus of some sort. That could be a possibility as luddic pathers do seem to want chaos... Maybe they could be the reason of the gates shutting down because of a virus. But it still wouldn't make much sense as I am sure gates wouldn't work like that. Did the AI war happen before or after the gates shut? Would make more sense if remnants were the cause of the problem. But again I assume it would be a fixable thing. I mean you would expect them to at least have a few guys who would know everything about the gates...

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: June 19, 2017, 03:28:38 PM »

That could be a possibility as luddic pathers do seem to want chaos...

Not at all, those who Walk The Path of Ludd simply want to liberate humanity from the machine-Mammon that has twisted us from that image of God in which we were created; to cast off the wrathful devastation of power-mad warlords and the greed of money-mad megacorps buying and selling our very souls; and those would both create artificial daemons that would turn inevitably into machine-mind rulers of a Hell of humanity's own creation. They are - of course - only fighting for what is right and good!

Now you can surrender your technology for holy purging ... unless you are a brainwashed slave of Mammon who would rather die than turn from your evil ways?

Did the AI war happen before or after the gates shut?

Both wars were after the Collapse.

But again I assume it would be a fixable thing. I mean you would expect them to at least have a few guys who would know everything about the gates...

The Domain would hardly let just anyone have that knowledge, and would hardly let anyone with that knowledge use it outside of Domain control. The Gates are the Domain; they are control over communication and movement, they connect all the worlds of Humanity, they are the keystone of galactic civilization!  (...Until they're not.)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: June 19, 2017, 03:38:39 PM »

e/ ninja'd

Both the AI war and the Luddites are post-collapse, and more-or-less directly caused by it. The Luddic Church formed because after the collapse, which was caused by failing technology, they see technology as a trap to avoid. The AI war started because the lack of Domain oversight after the collapse allowed Tri-Tachyon to develop AIs unrestricted.

I'm kinda hoping that the gates were shut down deliberately by the Domain to stop the spread of... something terrifying. That, eventually, we will encounter :)
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

isaacssv552

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: June 19, 2017, 09:37:31 PM »

I always figured it was some sort of mechanical error which cannot be fixed remotely. Core systems could fix their gates manually but a remote colonization sector would have to wait centuries for a repair team. Alternatively, the Gates are fully functional (perhaps shut down by some sort of surge protector?) but no one in the Sector knows where the power switch is.

Maelstrom

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: June 21, 2017, 05:20:02 PM »

one question still remains :P Are there more sectors?

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: June 21, 2017, 06:01:42 PM »

one question still remains :P Are there more sectors?

Yes. The Persean Sector is the name for what is presumably the largest concentration of human-settled worlds in the locale that happens to be the game's setting, and it is/was but one small piece of the extent of the Domain.

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: June 21, 2017, 10:12:42 PM »

I'm kinda hoping that the gates were shut down deliberately by the Domain to stop the spread of... something terrifying. That, eventually, we will encounter :)

I really hope we never figure out why. The answers are never as interesting as the questions. The "scary thing that we have to shut down gates for" is a sci-fi cliche at this point, cf Expanse, Halo, whatever.

In the end it can only be space zombies, or AIs, or aliens, or whatever. But it's never as scary as not knowing what it was.

Better just to get vague, inconclusive, and ultimately contradictory clues.

But it would be funny if the rest of the domain just succumbed to plain old political folly and committed civilization suicide (sigh) and fell into strife even greater than that in the local sector.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 31