Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 31

Author Topic: The Lore Corner  (Read 254924 times)

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
Re: The Lore Corner
« Reply #330 on: April 30, 2017, 10:17:01 PM »

What was the involvement of the League during the AI Wars, if any?

I imagine they would have been seen as an obvious opportunity to cut the Hegemony down to size. But the conflicts involved TT's development of AI technology, and fear of that might lead to the League public and/or government preferring to leave the other two factions to fight it out themselves.

Bastion.Systems

• Captain
  • Special Circumstances LCU
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: May 01, 2017, 10:21:01 AM »

The current stalemate suits League very well, withering down the resources of both superpowers. I would assume they secretly helped Tri-Tachyon due to them being the underdog during the war so that Hegemony would not become a sole superpower free to start snacking on League members.

Embolism

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: May 01, 2017, 06:55:36 PM »

Despite the League being specifically formed to resist the Hegemony we really know nothing about how they've antagonised the Hegemony other than a suggestion that they've assisted Andrada in maintaining Sindrian independence (we know more about their conflicts with the Luddic Church than the Hegemony). As it is the League feels like a polity like any other instead of a federation of independent states, with most of the lore being about how they've consolidated their power (or Kazeron's power?), and some of the member states don't have any lore about their culture, politics, motivations for joining the League, etc.

From what I can gather, the independent polities of the League are:

Kazeron: a stratocracy, probably not dissimilar to Sindria except without a sole dictator. The few military exploits of the League we know of seem to be more properly Kazeron's exploits, e.g. Mazalot and Isirah. Not counting Mazalot's exiled regime, this is the only League polity that has a permanent presence in more than one system (Laicaille habitat). There's also the independent world of Eldfell in Thule which we know nothing of: given Kazeron's militancy there must be something going on here.

Mazalot: an unstable polity prone to regime changes, in part because of a large Luddic population. Despite being the largest or second largest League population, Mazalot seems more like a client state than an equal partner in the League; with little power even in its own system seeing how Yesod is handled.

Salamanca: I'm surprised this is a League world instead of an Independent or Pirate world - a backwater industrial planet taken over by a corrupt/criminal ex-Mazalot government. I guess the League really doesn't care about domestic politics and will take anyone that will swear fealty. The question is what the Salamancan government gains from re-applying for League membership after their exile: there's an equally large Pirate world in the same system, so it doesn't seem like they're under threat from the Hegemony.

Mairaath: the tragic story of the enlightened brought low by ignorance and mindless hate. I always wanted to know: what was the canonical end to The Last Hurrah? In the end it probably doesn't matter, as even if the Mayasurian fleet won the day the Hegemony will send more, and eventually they will be overcome. I'd like to think that the Mayasurians prevailed that day, and with that unexpected victory were able to secure League membership and spare their broken world from Hegemony eradication.

The Westernesse League: a mini-league consisting of Fikenhild, Athulf and Suddene. Other than Fikenhild being the system representative we know almost nothing about the individual polities. There's also the independent world of Ailmar that again we know nothing about, although there must be some background as to why it isn't part of Westernesse's mini-league.

Madiera: again we know nothing about this polity. Presumably Cibola is ruled by Madiera rather than an independent polity in itself.

Olinadu: we know they joined the League to protect themselves from the Luddics. Abundant volatiles aside, the League probably sees it mostly as a buffer-state against the Church.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 06:57:48 PM by Embolism »

Hazard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: May 02, 2017, 12:27:16 AM »

A few questions concerning the Domain of Man, sorry if these have been answered already:

1. According to the old "State Of Affairs" blog post, the Domain was governed by "the Ecumenical Benevolent Council". Is this still considered canon? The word ecumenical has a rather strong religious connotation, and it made me wonder if the Domain was perhaps some form of ecclesiocracy. Am I completely wrong here? :)

2. How unified was the Domain? Was it made up of different political entities, states and other actors, or was it mostly a monolithic whole?

3. We know rebellious worlds defying Domain rule existed, and that the Domain Armada was used to keep these in check, but was this the sole purpose it had?

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: May 02, 2017, 03:02:18 AM »

A few questions concerning the Domain of Man, sorry if these have been answered already:

1. According to the old "State Of Affairs" blog post, the Domain was governed by "the Ecumenical Benevolent Council". Is this still considered canon? The word ecumenical has a rather strong religious connotation, and it made me wonder if the Domain was perhaps some form of ecclesiocracy. Am I completely wrong here? :)

The old blogposts are not really canon anymore, the writer changed. The presence of the Luddic faith however, is a hint that religion in general was still widespread.

2. How unified was the Domain? Was it made up of different political entities, states and other actors, or was it mostly a monolithic whole?

We know very little about the Domain. I think some we can infer from the Domain flag.
The flag is one big, central star, surrounded by 24 smaller stars. Presumably the big one is Earth. The 24 are probably the most important colonies at the time (the flag is many hundreds of years (maybe 1000) old). That gives you a hint that the Domain is (was) a federation of some sort, albeit with a very prominent central power.

Then there are many hints on ancient Roman influences. The Hegemoney was after all founded by a Domain legion, with eagle banner and all. (Reminds me a bit of the Britannic legions after the fall of the Roman empire.) The government organization also seems influenced by that, with institutions like the  "Logisticarum" and "Exploratorium". What , if any, influence that had on the political organization remains unclear.

3. We know rebellious worlds defying Domain rule existed, and that the Domain Armada was used to keep these in check, but was this the sole purpose it had?

There are faint hints on an outside thread in the Onslaught description: "Some even say that they were built to combat non-humans in a long forgotten war." Might be aliens, might be the reason why AIs were banned in Domain space.
Also, the fact that all long range probes (even the ones manufactured in regions were no human presence was (yet) possible) were heavily armed says something about how likely the Domain thought it that they would encounter resistance of some sort.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: May 02, 2017, 04:21:48 AM »

with eagle banner and all.
(Pssst, it's a Phoenix! You'l make David sad if you say it's an eagle...)

Embolism

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: May 02, 2017, 09:11:30 AM »

The description for Gilead in Canaan calls Old Earth "desecrated", which I guess in the context of Luddic beliefs means it was irrecoverably polluted through rampant materialism. Whether the Luddics are right or just regurgitating unsubstantiated dogma is debatable, but I'm inclined to believe Earth wasn't the jewel of the Domain by the time of the Collapse.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: May 04, 2017, 06:24:43 AM »

Spoiler
If all that's needed to throw a station out of orbit was a prometheus tanker, Mairaathian navy could've shot to pieces both falling stations to save the surface. Well, at least I assume they had enough firepower to do so.
[close]

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: May 04, 2017, 06:39:42 AM »

The description for Gilead in Canaan calls Old Earth "desecrated", which I guess in the context of Luddic beliefs means it was irrecoverably polluted through rampant materialism. Whether the Luddics are right or just regurgitating unsubstantiated dogma is debatable, but I'm inclined to believe Earth wasn't the jewel of the Domain by the time of the Collapse.

Well, most capital planets in the Sector are industrial juggernauts, to garden worlds. I'd assume the same for Earth.

If all that's needed to throw a station out of orbit was a prometheus tanker, Mairaathian navy could've shot to pieces both falling stations to save the surface. Well, at least I assume they had enough firepower to do so.

How is a rain of some million tonnes of debris better?

BTW, only one station fell, pushed by the power of its own maneuvering thrusters. The other was pushed away from the planet by the Prometheus and serves as a pirate hideout in the outer system now.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: May 04, 2017, 06:57:04 AM »

About the second station - I must've misread, then. Or jumped to the conclusion.
The difference is the energy would be spread over much larger area. Small chunks would burn in atmosphere, larger would hit the ground anyway. The difference is, the larger area the energy is spread, the lesser effects of this energy are (in this case). It depends on how bad would heating Mairaath's atmosphere would be, but I suspect it wouldn't be as bad as station hitting all at once, not to mention that debris would not only fall all over the place, it's velocity (due to atmospheric friction) would be slower and time it takes for it to fall would be (a bit) longer than station's too. It's like the difference between wearing bulletproof vest and not, one is like being hit by a baseball bat in the chest, and the second one is fatal. It all depends whether Mairaath would take a thousand cuts better than one strong blow or not.
I don't think that would change much, though... Loss of all three stations, no matter how, would cripple Mairaath anyway.

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #340 on: May 05, 2017, 08:18:01 AM »

Excerpt from description.csv, hinting how Domain colonization effort were made:

Warning: Likely spoilers for future exploration content! -G
Spoiler
derelict_gatehauler,CUSTOM,"Massive starships that carry the Gates used to establish near-instaneous connections between worlds of the Domain. The Gate Haulers would burn across space for hundreds of cycles to establish full contact with the grand culture and economy of the Domain. In preparation for the possibility of fringe worlds which spurned the Domain, the Gate Haulers were equipped with potent automated defenses.",,,

derelict_seedship,CUSTOM,"Seeds promising worlds with a suite of lifeforms to kick-start the processes which maintain a Terran environment, from hardy lichens to simple algae up through cryopod drops which release more advanced lifeforms as planetary conditions improve. The seedship will leave the world to gather new materials from small asteroids, manufacture a new terraforming starter kit, and move on to the next target.",,,

derelict_cryosleeper,CUSTOM,Transports tens of thousands of human emmigrants from the core systems of the Domain out into the great frontiers stretching from the Sagittarius Arm across the Orion Spur to these wild reaches on the shores of the Perseus Arm.,,,

This also tells us about Domain territory, the frontiers being Sagittarius Arm, Orion Spur and Perseus Arm.
[close]
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 11:48:36 AM by Gothars »

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: May 05, 2017, 01:26:00 PM »

About the second station - I must've misread, then. Or jumped to the conclusion.
The difference is the energy would be spread over much larger area.  It's like the difference between wearing bulletproof vest and not, one is like being hit by a baseball bat in the chest, and the second one is fatal.

If you are trying to protect the core of something, like a bulletproof vest does, it makes sense to spread energy over area. Since planets are only inhabited on the surface (-area), spreading it over a larger area is potentially much more harmful.

Embolism

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: May 05, 2017, 06:43:36 PM »

Given that the Orion Spur is where our Solar system is located I doubt it's considered a "frontier", unless Earth has fallen so far from grace in the thousands of years of the Domain. Sounds like it's just saying the Sagittarius arm, which is across from the Orion Spur, is the great frontier.

With how small populations are in the Sector (even Chicomoztoc has about 10% of Earth's current population) I think it's safe to say that the vast majority of planetary surfaces are uninhabited (I mean most of modern Earth is uninhabited too), so assuming the station's going to hit a population centre spreading the impact out may possibly result in less destruction. But unless the navy is right there next to the station: bearing in mind that the operation was planned over a long period of time by Pathers: I highly doubt they'd be able to respond in time, and also bearing in mind that the stations are acropolises containing a lot of the system's population... you can imagine they'd be very, very reluctant to fire on them regardless of the consequences. It's not a snap decision many would be able to make (keyword here being "snap").
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 06:50:33 PM by Embolism »

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: May 08, 2017, 08:30:59 AM »

Do we have official demonyms for all these worlds?

Sindria - Sindrian
Volturn - Volturnian
Cruor - Cruorian? Cruan?
Kazeron - Kazeronean? Kazeronese?
Mairaath - Mairaathian? Mairaaithi?
Jangala - Jangalan?
Asharu - Asharan?
mmm.... tartiflette

Embolism

• Admiral
    • View Profile