Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 31

Author Topic: The Lore Corner  (Read 254912 times)

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
Re: The Lore Corner
« Reply #315 on: January 19, 2016, 07:41:26 PM »

Here is the easy guide to identifying vanilla ship tech levels just from visual appearance:

Low-tech: Orange engine flames with lots of smoke. Brown to orange hulls. Reddish brown shields.
Midline: Yellow engine flames with less smoke. Tan or grey hulls. Blue shields.
High-tech: Blue engine flames with little smoke. Blue to blue-grey hulls. Blue shields.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: January 20, 2016, 12:20:16 AM »

Just a reminder:
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=437.msg175259#msg175259

Ships tied to Epochs are no longer a thing. They are only more or less sophisticated and while some designs may be older than others, there isn't a hard timeline separation between them. Much like real life history: a few WW2 battleships were maintained into active service while there were much newer designs, but not all these newer designs were as modern as others depending on their origin...

Aeson

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: January 20, 2016, 08:29:39 AM »

Ships tied to Epochs are no longer a thing.
No. Ship tech levels are no longer tied to epochs. Some ships are still tied to epochs, however; Hammerheads are explicitly from the Core Epoch while Tempests and Sunders are explicitly from the Expansion Epoch. We can no longer say that because ship XYZ is midline it must be from the Core Epoch, but we can look at age indicators in the Codex entry and look a bit at the ship's appearance and try to make an educated guess - the Heron, for example, is likely (late) Expansion Epoch since it appears as though it was introduced shortly before the Collapse while the Conquest is probably from around the same period as or perhaps somewhat earlier than the Hammerhead based on visual appearances and the fact that it was introduced shortly before the popularization of strike craft. If the epoch of the XIV Battle Group is well-established, that could also be used to establish the latest epoch from which the ships in it could have originated.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: April 17, 2016, 11:32:01 AM »

How big a deal is it for a capital ship, whether it be a super freighter or a battleship, to arrive at a station or planet?

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: April 19, 2016, 05:52:35 AM »

Just a reminder:
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=437.msg175259#msg175259

Ships tied to Epochs are no longer a thing. They are only more or less sophisticated and while some designs may be older than others, there isn't a hard timeline separation between them. Much like real life history: a few WW2 battleships were maintained into active service while there were much newer designs, but not all these newer designs were as modern as others depending on their origin...

Indeed, if you have something that works, and works well, why replace it?
Battleships were mainly kept in service because up to this point, we had nothing that can provide the kind of fire support that a battleship did, and building a new battleship would be considerably more expensive than repairing the existing ones, the US navy for instance was furious when the Iowa's were decommisioned for the last time, losing an invaluable piece of artillery, and only today, 70 years after the Iowa was built, have we found a viable alternative to the battleship, which is a railgun.

How big a deal is it for a capital ship, whether it be a super freighter or a battleship, to arrive at a station or planet?

In what context? fighting? or just "omg its a battleship, I've never seen one before! I'ts so HUGE!"
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 02:53:36 AM by ValkyriaL »

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: April 19, 2016, 11:24:31 AM »

The question was too vague, sorry. I meant arriving peacefully. The Atlas description implies that a capital ship is a huge deal, but it's description is old and capitals are pretty common now. Sindria can end up surrounded by super freighters and it seems there's at least one capital ship, usually several, on patrol in every system.

Aeson

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: April 19, 2016, 07:35:07 PM »

The Atlas description implies that a capital ship is a huge deal
I don't really agree, at least not for the Atlas. The impression I get from the Codex entry for the Atlas is that the Atlases are regular, even frequent, visitors to a specific set of spaceports, but are only very rarely, if ever, seen elsewhere, and so to the locals they're nothing special but to visitors to the area they're something that might be interesting or unusual or famous enough to go see. Kind of like how 20 years ago you'd probably never have considered going to an airport just to see a Boeing 747 or an Airbus A330, but if you were visiting one of the handful of cities that the Concordes regularly flew into or out of and you had a bit of time you might have gone to see a Concorde.

Embolism

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: August 28, 2016, 06:56:50 AM »

Rise, thread; rise!

I wonder how many corps mentioned in the lore will be represented in the Sector. Tri-Tachyon obviously, and Ko Combine as well; but what of Fabrique Orbitale, Huan-Gogel, Altair Exotech, Orion Shipyards, Bhilai Exospace... I expect some (if not all) of them wouldn't have any presence in the Sector after the Collapse, and not all would be politically-inclined like Tri-Tach. Still, would be nice to round up corp factions to three (or more...).

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: August 28, 2016, 08:10:15 AM »

I'd really like dhuzak and penelopy to have flavor text that establishes every polity mentioned in other, definitely current flavor text (of things that are still alive and in use like ships) that died with them.
Like, if Fabrique Orbitale used to be where the crater of a Great Crater world is because one of their Orbitales wasn't quite so Fabriqued, I'd love to be able to dig that up in survey text. Maybe even uncovering the final shipping logs of a ship manufactor that died as soon as the collapse happened you could get an unmarked quest that spawns a perfect condition s_class midline noncombat ship that's in a derelict convoy that never reached its destination being tended by a attache of drones that you could find if you fly from that planet to the nearest derelict ring, and then from all of the destination planets to their nearest derelict rings.
And then, if you take the ship without modifying it or letting it take damage ("new, showcase condition") to the destination planet a quest dialogue will come up mentioning that one of your crew muses that the convoy might have not been at it's final stop, and if you then go to the other destinations one of the other planets, if surveyed, contains a settlement of mercenaries squatting in the abandoned delivery site and the quest can be completed by you trying to turn over the ship to the mercenary quartermaster, whose salvaged pre-collapse computer confirms that this delivery is expected, doesn't check any of the dates on the paperwork and pays you for the now-worthless corporate luxury shuttle in it's pre-collapse value.
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: April 25, 2017, 06:31:25 AM »

Just realized Maairath is the destroyed world from the Last Hurrah, reading the description of the mission and visiting it in game gave me chills

great job alex and david  ;D
mmm.... tartiflette

Toxcity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: April 25, 2017, 08:48:22 AM »

So with all the new lore in the game I'm surprised this thread isn't busier right now. I know I'm wondering about the AI wars again after playing this update.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: April 25, 2017, 11:42:30 AM »

What news do we know about the AI wars? Except that

Spoiler
there are AI survivors.
[close]
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Toxcity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: April 25, 2017, 12:10:20 PM »

Well we know that:
Spoiler
Those AI survivors are from the 1st AI war, but they didn't seem to make an appearance in the 2nd AI war based on mission descriptions. They also don't appear to be rogue (in the sense that they would attack anyone) since they seem to be looking for Tri-Tachyon officials. They're also not hostile to Tri-Tachyon in the files.
[close]

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: April 25, 2017, 01:16:35 PM »

We actually knew that before. At least those of us wo furiously studied and cross-related every morsel of text in the game :) Most of it is in the mission description of "Wolf pack", actually. The first AI war involved AIs, and was settled with their VERBOT by the Hegemony. The second AI war was about the Hegemony's rights of inspecting and enforcing that ban, which the TTs didn't want to accept.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Embolism

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: April 27, 2017, 05:04:04 PM »

Speaking of Mission Lore, a touch I really liked is how Independent and Hegemony captains are often named whereas Tri-Tachyon fleet executives never are. Kind of emphasises the cold and faceless nature of TT and how individuality is squashed in favour of conformity to the Corporate Charter.

I wonder if characters from Missions will show up in the Sandbox. I hope so if story missions in the vein of the Tutorial becomes a thing.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 05:08:01 PM by Embolism »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 31