Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 31

Author Topic: The Lore Corner  (Read 254923 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: The Lore Corner
« Reply #240 on: February 21, 2015, 11:17:15 PM »

Yeah I would revise that down quite a bit :)

EI

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: March 03, 2015, 09:35:08 PM »

>w<

I want more stars and the possibility to conquer them in a way like Mount & Blade. )o)
You know what happens when I raise the "alarm"~ <3

Ahne

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 22, 2015, 06:53:10 AM »

I wonder about the used in-starsystem travel drive. If we use the value of 225.000km/h for 4xburn speed in starsystem travel and then watch the massive crazy "normal" decceleration from this "unknown" travel method inside the battlefield from example 225.000km/h to 300km/h (an 30 max speed battleship) in 4 sec i really wonder what kind of system is used. If we consider that the battlefield engine system is another one because they can't even deccelerate from 30 max speed to 0 in 4 sec (just an example). So my question is which travel drive system is used for in-starsystem travel? The hyperspace travel uses FTL.

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #243 on: June 23, 2015, 08:11:47 AM »

1. In-system navigation uses Burn Drive, and low tech ships can use a primary part of the drive in combat - which explains why they only use their normal engine in combat. They can't raise the shield while Burn Driving.

2. I'm not sure if 1su = 1km.

Ahne

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 24, 2015, 07:23:22 PM »

2. I'm not sure if 1su = 1km.
not sure myself

1. In-system navigation uses Burn Drive, and low tech ships can use a primary part of the drive in combat - which explains why they only use their normal engine in combat. They can't raise the shield while Burn Driving.

i know that it's called "burn drive" but that doesn't answered any of my lore related questions, i want to know more about the actual technical lore of that travel system and how it "works", if we have a lore base it would be easier to adapt the knowledge and develop modified describtions how other drive systems from modded facftions work, if it's needed to describe to that detailed level

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #245 on: June 26, 2015, 09:34:33 AM »

Well... I don't really see any texts describing it. You'll have to wait Alex.

Tho I(and anyone else) can be quite sure it is not a wormhole drive or Alcuibierre drive.

Aeson

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 26, 2015, 03:20:45 PM »

If I had to guess, I would say that the in-system and in-combat drives are the same system, with either more of the drive system being active or the drive system being operated at a higher power level (or both) for in-system travel than in-combat travel being what distinguishes in-system from in-combat propulsion. The exhaust plumes are the same (or very similar) colors for both in-system and in-combat propulsion and are emitted from mostly the same locations on the ship. Neither the in-system nor the in-combat propulsion systems appear to follow reaction-thrust rules particularly well, and at any rate ships do not appear to be expelling mass at any significant rate, at least under the current game mechanics.

I would suggest that Starsector's in-system and in-combat propulsion system is more along the lines of something which accelerates a ship to a given speed when the drive is provided with a certain amount of power; the lower in-combat speeds can be justified by the accelerations required for combat maneuvers, a need to reduce drive heat generation to allow the ship's cooling systems to keep up with weapon and shield heat generation and perhaps reduce the ship's heat signature to allow ECM to be more effective, a need to free up power for the weapons and shields, or some combination thereof.

Dratai

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 14, 2015, 10:11:07 AM »

Since I'm lazy and not up for trawling all 17 pages here, but since it's also a good thread for it I have one/two questions.
First up I understand implants/partial cybernetic enhancement seems to be a thing but would like confirmation.
If yes: Would there be room for genetic modification in certain circles (meaning if there was some of this in the pre-collapse, someone lucky may have managed to keep some of the tools for it)?
I kind of want to know in case I write some of my transhumanist garbage fanfiction for this setting.
Like not nesseccarily that they're still modifying people but that there'd be a few projects here and there left over and available as.. loot.

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 14, 2015, 10:54:54 AM »

First up I understand implants/partial cybernetic enhancement seems to be a thing but would like confirmation.
If yes: Would there be room for genetic modification in certain circles (meaning if there was some of this in the pre-collapse, someone lucky may have managed to keep some of the tools for it)?
I kind of want to know in case I write some of my transhumanist garbage fanfiction for this setting.
Like not nesseccarily that they're still modifying people but that there'd be a few projects here and there left over and available as.. loot.

1. Yes, implants and cybernetic enhancement exist in the Starsector setting.
2. Yes, genetic modification is a thing.
3. Yes, more exotic forms of both are probably kicking around somewhere and powerful factions (Luddic Path, Church of Galactic Redemption) would like them not to exist, or would like them to be controlled by a proper authority (Hegemony), or would be delighted to provide use of these exclusively patented technologies to paying customers (TriTachyon).

Dratai

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: July 14, 2015, 11:08:54 AM »

Yeah alright, just making sure so we don't get narrative conflicts. Thank you!

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: July 14, 2015, 11:12:51 AM »

David is getting old! :o

Spoiler
::)
[close]

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 14, 2015, 11:38:32 AM »

David is getting old! :o

Spoiler
::)
[close]

:D Naw, I just keep it updated to match my current hair colour. Which reminds me, I need to update it - there.

Abradolf Lincler

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: July 14, 2015, 01:24:08 PM »

I have a question, how large are ships generally, like a Wolf stern to bow compared to a fighter or Onslaught. Are battleships here more akin to naval ships that we have? or bigger/smaller?

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: July 14, 2015, 01:45:59 PM »

I have a question, how large are ships generally, like a Wolf stern to bow compared to a fighter or Onslaught. Are battleships here more akin to naval ships that we have? or bigger/smaller?

Sprite vs. sprite comparison is not necessarily intended to be at scale. Nor is it not. The sprites were designed to convey the feeling of ship size appropriate to each ship and to fit the game's action onto one's screen with a ship and its target more-or-less visible at the same time, for the sake of player experience.

That said, the ship classes are loosely based on WW2-era naval ships, so that's where I'd start to get an idea for relative scale.

Aeson

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: October 14, 2015, 02:28:40 AM »

Anyone have an idea for what MIRV stands for in Starsector? In the real world, it stands for Multiple Independently-targetable Reentry Vehicle, but that doesn't really make sense for the Hurricane, which is used by spaceships against spaceships while all are in space. Is the Hurricane really an ICBM adapted for use by and against ships, or perhaps an orbital bombardment weapon adapted for ship-to-ship use (though reentry is still kind of strange, if so, and 'independently targetable' seems to me a bit of a stretch since all the submunitions have the same target)?
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 31