Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 31

Author Topic: The Lore Corner  (Read 254886 times)

ahrenjb

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: The Lore Corner
« Reply #225 on: October 24, 2014, 12:50:26 PM »

In the mouse-over text for Skathi, the Tri-Tachyon world in the Valhalla system, it states that the hegemony granted Tri-Tach a license for development. I was under the impression that tri-tach and Hegemony were in an active state of hostilities towards eachother, and assumed that would preclude legal cooperation on things like that. Am I wrong, or is the idea of Tri-Tach being changed?

Yes. I'd like to move Tri-Tach's relationship with the Hegemony to be less "shooting war" and more wary, with both sides finding the other useful but with goals at odds leading to various unfortunate 'incidents' that both sides cover up/gloss over afterward. The Hegemony should then get a worthy opponent to have wars with (or two? more? who knows!).

Makes sense. I was never a huge fan of the whole "corporatacracy" thing in general, and the Hegemony is cast as a proper massive, lumbering governmental organization deeply rutted in tradition and bureaucracy. They deserve an enemy on the same level. I feel that in the current universe, the Hegemony really is THE superpower, with all others being smaller players. Another superpower of sorts would fit in well, but that's your department!

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 24, 2014, 02:09:48 PM »

There's nothing really stopping Tri-Tachyon from being "that other superpower". Other than David, of course. :P

From the current backstory, it's pretty clear that corporations had enormous influence in the Domain. Such that it's not unreasonable to see a fraction of one emerge as a major power in the Sector. I could easily see a Cold War going on between the Tri-Tach and the Hegemony. Neither of them would be inclined to get into a real war, since that would cost resources they don't really have, but proxy wars and bullying the many smaller factions in the Sector is fair game.

The two of them falling into a Sector-wide war could be a major event that could randomly happen in the campaign, if forces happen to align to cause such a thing. I would prefer that the player not be able to instigate a full Sector War, at least not without lots of effort and subterfuge.

I kind of feel a Sector War would really be the end of the Sector. So much would be lost that the whole Sector, excluding a few terraformed worlds (that also weren't destroyed in said war), would essentially be depopulated by starvation. Unless, that is, a third faction is instigating the war, and succeeds in its bid to claim power and emerge as the only superpower in the sector before too much is destroyed. *Cough* the player *cough*. Then the whole sector is your playground to form a new order.

Of course, anything like that will only come into existence in the far future of this game's development. And I would hope there would be at least several other end-game goals besides bringing one faction to dominance.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #227 on: October 24, 2014, 06:38:31 PM »

In the mouse-over text for Skathi, the Tri-Tachyon world in the Valhalla system, it states that the hegemony granted Tri-Tach a license for development. I was under the impression that tri-tach and Hegemony were in an active state of hostilities towards eachother, and assumed that would preclude legal cooperation on things like that. Am I wrong, or is the idea of Tri-Tach being changed?

Yes. I'd like to move Tri-Tach's relationship with the Hegemony to be less "shooting war" and more wary, with both sides finding the other useful but with goals at odds leading to various unfortunate 'incidents' that both sides cover up/gloss over afterward. The Hegemony should then get a worthy opponent to have wars with (or two? more? who knows!).
Well, both factions did try to take/destroy the other's homeworld/corporate HQ at least once... But falling back to a cold war state afterwards makes sense.

For Skathi, maybe the license was awarded before relations between the two factions went down the toilet and the Hegemony is unwilling or unable to commit the firepower to enforce the revocation of this particular deal.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #228 on: October 25, 2014, 08:23:19 AM »

Okay, this one thing is bothering me: On the decivilized world of Maxios... who's collecting the tariffs?

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 25, 2014, 08:28:41 AM »

Kipcha

• Ensign
  • CORE
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 26, 2014, 02:15:51 AM »

Okay, this one thing is bothering me: On the decivilized world of Maxios... who's collecting the tariffs?

Docking "authority"

To me Maxios seemed like an example of an anarchistic 'government' where the ownership of an item is how hard you can hold on to it. (which would see megacorporations rise to power very easy, should they actually have an interested in a barren world with little to no economic import)

Lucian Greymark

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 27, 2014, 02:13:00 PM »

I'm sure this has probably been asked already and I've missed it. But are there any good reasons at the moment why the pirates have so few stations/planets. I think they have only got bases in 3? different systems. Which seems fairly low considering the nature of pirates. The other thing is that pirate numbers seem to be desperately low until someone with a bounty comes around. Do these have to do with the lore or is it more of a game play thing?

DeltaV_11.2

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 27, 2014, 08:19:07 PM »

Pirates should be pretty weak, given they represent a "non-faction" faction. Think of how hard it is for you to assemble a large fleet. Now imagine that everyone already hates you. Pirates don't have the sort of resources to establish or take major worlds and facilities. Even if they did exist, they're divided amongst many separate individuals, which limits how much influence they wield.

Lucian Greymark

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 29, 2014, 09:40:00 AM »

I'm not even talking about large fleets though, even on Corvus, that has two pirate planets and a star base, there are barely any fleets at all most of the time once the hegemony get their toes stuck in. I'd still expect their to be lots of little smugglers running around.

It's worth mentioning that I'm not the one killing them, I'm at the point where I'm jumping from system to system tracking down high yield bounties.

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: October 30, 2014, 09:59:54 PM »

Ok question for you here: Why was Infernium removed and basically replaced by antimatter?

They're used in essentially the same way as 'handwavium' fuel. What it comes down to is a matter of narrative tone; I think Infernium is a bit more Dune / Warhammer 40k while I want to aim for something a little more Alastair Reynolds.

I don't want to remove it entirely: the Luddic factions should  still refer to AM as "Infernium". (There just hasn't been an opportunity to demonstrate this in-game yet.)

Sorry but only just read this: '... a little more Alastair Reynolds' yeah really got this vibe from the latest patch, perhaps minus some of the more advanced/out-there tech stuff from the Revelation Space series :)

StarSector is just waiting for a Chasm City :D

Also reminded me of the world building in the 'Polity' or 'Line' (can't remember which it is, Agent Carmac perhaps) series by Neal Asher.

Hari Seldon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 05, 2014, 09:40:03 PM »

I noticed that the Sindrian Diktat system that one of their planets' text blurb says that it is one of the few places that makes antimatter fuel from energies from solar collectors fed into massive furnaces / particle accelerators / whatever.  That's pretty cool so I thought about it.

The only way in real life of making lots of antimatter that I know of is Hawking radiation (fiercely energetic particles, antiparticles, and gamma rays).

Even better, I have a Hawking Radiation calculator you can play with.  Change any of the values in the text boxes and hit enter to recalculate.
"Black holes do produce radiation, with an intensity inversely proportional to the square of their mass. Since most black holes are thought to form from collapsed stars and are very massive, they give off very little radiation. However, a smaller hole (on the order of only a few billion tons) would radiate a great deal more, making it an excellent power source for an advanced civilization."

This is rather dangerous though, because if you starve the black hole of matter to eat, then it will get smaller and smaller and evaporate faster and faster until it explodes.
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Salvor Hardin, Foundation

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #236 on: February 14, 2015, 06:36:17 AM »

An interesting entry found in reports.csv

summary: Diktat security forces have captured terrorist leaders attempting to flee Sindria. Officials have stated that after they are intergated by Diktat Intelligence there will be a swift trial and public execution.
[...]
implementation notes: Like a Cardassian novel, everyone arrested in Sindria is guilty - the only question remains: of what?

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 14, 2015, 06:56:36 AM »

An interesting entry found in reports.csv

summary: Diktat security forces have captured terrorist leaders attempting to flee Sindria. Officials have stated that after they are intergated by Diktat Intelligence there will be a swift trial and public execution.
[...]
implementation notes: Like a Cardassian novel, everyone arrested in Sindria is guilty - the only question remains: of what?
Time to argue it down to a non-moving violation.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 21, 2015, 10:33:59 PM »

intergated  ::)
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

EI

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 21, 2015, 10:43:02 PM »

• How big is the sector? Are there hundred of worlds? Or is more like dozens?

About 6 months to a year to traverse using hyperdrive. Aiming for ~1k star systems, but that could change appreciably in either direction.

2 stars, 998 to go~ :3
You know what happens when I raise the "alarm"~ <3
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 31