Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 31

Author Topic: The Lore Corner  (Read 254920 times)

Deathven

• Commander
  • "Contigo ergo sum" - Descartes
    • View Profile
Re: The Lore Corner
« Reply #180 on: November 03, 2013, 06:38:28 PM »

Hi there, I've been reading through the posts here, and was a bit curious about the possible role of (relatively) large mercenary bands with their own planet and shipyards. Although it would often be prudent for smaller bands of ships to simply join one of the existing factions, I'm sure there are some principled enough or stupid enough to try to head out on their own, and occasionally succeed. (Not because I'm too lazy to think of backstory that isn't mercenaries, of course! :P) The sector is so huge, after all, who knows what or who is out there!

Have to say, the potential that the game has for the Campaign and the shear size the whole sector will be...amazing! It will be cool once the lore starts  showing up in game. It will be awesome!

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 03, 2013, 09:36:03 PM »

Burst PD lasers could work off of this system called a Chirp Pulse Amplified laser, because of the similar behavior. Google it, it makes sense!

Wraithbourne

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 07, 2013, 04:01:41 PM »

Will what brought about the collapse ever be revealed or touched upon?  Ingame its been over 200 years since the collapse so clearly the events causing it were almost indescribable in their severity, it can be assumed that the gates failing was the absolute least of the problems faced by those on the other side of them.  Massive alien invasion, a supernova producing a black hole or magnatar in the core of domain space, theres plenty of things to go wrong in space but the list of things that can bring a hyperadvanced galactic society to its knees is a pretty short one.  Were the gates disabled unintentionally or were they deactivated or destroyed with intent to safeguard those in our sector from whatever horrors were occuring beyond them?

On the subject of the gates, how is the more distant gate placed?  Is the sending gate produced and roughly "aimed" at a desirable sector of space and a construction fleet fired through it to construct the connecting gate?  What sort of distance would be covered by a gate connection?  I assume that the ingame representation of hyperspace is extremely short ranged, with the two systems represented ingame currently spaced to perhaps resemble something comparable to the distance between the sol and Alpha Centauri systems (about 4.4 lightyears).  Would gates involve distances of several hundred lightyears, thousands, tens of thousands?  If you can turn any planet into a paradise in reasonably short order there isnt that much need to travel extreme distances so I'm personally leaning towards shorter distances, but then if its only a few hundred lightyears then why is it not possible to send an expedition to investigate? Particularly if with sufficient skill the gravity well of any star or gas giant is a suitable exit point from hyperspace.

Finally by what means of hyperspace travel did the ships comprising the domain task force that formed the hegemony arrive? Its stated that they were running on full automation which suggests that they were making use of local hyperspace entrances and exits but they must surely of been making some use of the gate system for longer distance travel, or do the hegemony use low tech ships because the fleet was dispatched in the distant past and took hundreds of years to arrive in the sector, the ships comprising it the peak of sophistication when launched but being rendered obsolete in transit due to the timescale involved.

However if the fleet was in transit for centuries (or even a couple years really) then surely its ships would have been in a horrific state of disrepair, space is a harsh place, and without regular maintenance anything in it struggles to last for long.  Sure satelites like Voyager 1 have been out in space for decades but thats a few basic instruments inside a very well insulated shell.  A large fleet of warships would need frequent maintenance to retain functionality, certainly over the sort of timescales we're thinking about here.

The alternative I suppose is that the task force entered the sector via the gates when they were first activated and has been cruising the local/semi local area for the past (at most) few years, returning to the sector we see ingame at the time described in the lore with intent to return to more developed space via the gate to deliver the results on the cryogenic storage experiment.  The crew then being awoken by the shipboard AI's in response to the events occuring before them.

Also it states that the 200th legion were disgraced, what actions did they undertake to become disgraced?  The descriptions of the domain suggest an empire at peace, so its unlikely they fled in the face of an enemy, did they perhaps use excessive force against a colony attempting to branch out away from the domain and commit a masacre?

I think thats everything for now ^^

~Wraith

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 07, 2013, 04:31:15 PM »

Will what brought about the collapse ever be revealed or touched upon?  Ingame its been over 200 years since the collapse so clearly the events causing it were almost indescribable in their severity, it can be assumed that the gates failing was the absolute least of the problems faced by those on the other side of them. 

Or it might have been a problem only with the gate. Maybe the core sectors of the domain are absolutely fine, just cut off from the newer colonies. It's at least pretty clear in the lore that the Sector's problems arise from its sudden isolation, not from any external factors.

However if the fleet was in transit for centuries (or even a couple years really) then surely its ships would have been in a horrific state of disrepair, space is a harsh place, and without regular maintenance anything in it struggles to last for long.  Sure satelites like Voyager 1 have been out in space for decades but thats a few basic instruments inside a very well insulated shell.  A large fleet of warships would need frequent maintenance to retain functionality, certainly over the sort of timescales we're thinking about here.

Interstellar space is (almost) completely empty. Once the ships have accelerated to near light speed, they can just drift for hundreds of years without any strain on either the systems or the hull. Relativistic effects would even remain that much less time has passed for everything inside the ships. Since the Onslaught design is considered ancient when they arrive, and the domain of man is about 1000 years old, I'd assume that's the way they traveled.
I'd even guess they Hegemony only upgraded their Onslaughts with shields and hyperspace travel drives after the arrival.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Wraithbourne

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 07, 2013, 04:47:29 PM »

Will what brought about the collapse ever be revealed or touched upon?  Ingame its been over 200 years since the collapse so clearly the events causing it were almost indescribable in their severity, it can be assumed that the gates failing was the absolute least of the problems faced by those on the other side of them. 

Or it might have been a problem only with the gate. Maybe the core sectors of the domain are absolutely fine, just cut off from the newer colonies. It's at least pretty clear in the lore that the Sector's problems arise from its sudden isolation, not from any external factors.

Perhaps the whole thing is an experiment? The domain, having long since advanced past any major obstacle in the course of its development and advancement, were curious to see whether humanity at its core retained its often cited strengths, its adaptability and will to survive, and so cut the gate connection to produce a massive scale social experiment?

ciago92

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 07, 2013, 04:48:00 PM »

I'd even guess they Hegemony only upgraded their Onslaughts with shields and hyperspace travel drives after the arrival.

I can't speak to most of the lore but if you're going near light speed you better have shields because a dust speck is about as damaging as a nuke at that speed. If you saw Gravity recently, think that except tens of thousands (minimum) times worse

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 07, 2013, 10:53:04 PM »

About three months after the Collapse, a Domain task force emerged from hyperspace in the sector.
from the state of affairs, so that's definitely not the case

What sort of distance would be covered by a gate connection?

let's see (data crunching below):

the following data is obtained with 1 point in navigation

the Onslaught (slowest ship in taskforce pollux) goes 7 burn in hyperspace at 30 fuel/day, at 25 fuel/ly, meaning she travels at 30/25 = 1.2 ly/day

the Atlas (also possibly the slowest ship in taskforce pollux) goes 7 burn in hyperspace at 12 fuel/day, at 10 fuel/ly, meaning she travels at 12/10 = 1.2 ly/day

some other data below, showing a slightly less efficient burn efficiency, but it's possible that max burn is not a linear function, but does drop in efficiency as it reaches higher ratings
Spoiler
the Tempest goes 14 burn in hyperspace at 1.5fuel/day, at 0.8 fuel/ly, meaning she travels at 1.5/0.8 = 1.875 ly/day (divide by 14 and we get 0.13 ly per burn per day)

the Shuttle goes 12 burn in hyperspace at 0.4fuel/day, at 0.25 fuel/ly, meaning she travels at 0.4/0.25 = 1.6 ly/day (divide that by 12 and we get 0.13 per burn per day)

the Ox goes 12 burn in hyperspace at 8.5fuel/day, at 5 fuel/ly, meaning she travels at 8.5/5 = 1.7 ly/day (divide that by 12 and we get 0.14 ly per burn per day)

the Enforcer goes 9 burn in hyperspace at 4.2fuel/day, at 3 fuel/ly, meaning she travels at 4.2/3 = 1.4 ly/day (divide that by 9 and we get 0.15 ly per burn per day)

the Hammerhead goes 9 burn in hyperspace at 2.8fuel/day, at 2 fuel/ly, meaning she travels at 2.8/2 = 1.4 ly/day (divide that by 9 and we get 0.15 ly per burn per day)
[close]

at this point I figured we have enough data and stopped collecting. Rounding errors and such aside, we can see that 7 burn means 1.2 ly/day

now, as far as we know, by year 2013 task force pollux has not left on its task (from Earth or elsewhere), which means it has at most 3126-206-2013 = 907 years at 1.2 ly/day to reach this sector (the reality is probably a lot less, but this is say if the fleet leaves tomorrow). The max possible distance covered by pollux would be 907*365.25*1.2 = 397538 ly.

Considering milky way goes about 120,000 ly across, that doesn't really say much. However, considering the nearest galaxy (andromeda) is way far away from that at 2538000 ly, at least we established that we're still in this galaxy
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 11:24:05 PM by gunnyfreak »
mmm.... tartiflette

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 30, 2013, 03:45:23 PM »

Questions:

1.  What is the name of the Tri-Tachyon Corporation's home System?
2.  Do the Pirates have any favorite / special places of note?
3.  Are the Diktat related to the Independents, or are they a unique splinter?
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 01, 2013, 06:47:20 AM »

I think the Diktat may be more related to the Hegemony than other factions, a bit like a vassal state.

When you engage with a Diktat fleet it said: "By authority of the High Hegemon Administrator, you are ordered to take hyperspace drives offline, disable weapons and surrender. Over.".

So apparently they are working under the Hegemony. Maybe an independent colony who prefer to pay tributes and serve rather than being annihilated.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 01, 2013, 11:10:01 AM »

nah, that's just because the lines haven't been updated for them yet I believe
mmm.... tartiflette

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 11, 2013, 09:43:37 AM »

re. Tri-Tachyon home system:
No definitive answer but to join in on speculation, I can't imagine they'd have a strong connection to a 'home system'. Tri-Tachyon corporate strategy is quite unsentimental compared to, say, the Hegemony. There would perhaps be a place where they happen to have centralized more assets than anywhere else -- for purely Business Reasons, of course.

re. Pirate places:
I'd consider "Pirate" a catch-all category rather than a proper faction (as the in-game description suggests). They'd be found anywhere society breaks down and there's opportunity for violent criminals to exploit others for their own profit.

re. Diktat:
They're related to Hegemony, as the copy & pasting of the faction definition file suggests. There's a bunch of back story, the question is how to put it into the game without simply info-dumping.

Let'see, skipping stuff that's not getting answers like anything about the fall of the gate system/Domain, so you'll have to speculate for yourselves on that ...

... ah, important stuff: food! I've got a whole bunch I'd love to write on food in the world of Starsector but I need to get going to work. Sorry! (I'll admit, ever since the original Fallout manual had a recipe in the back it's been my secret goal to slip a real recipe into a game somehow. I hope you all enjoy "Sous Vide of Extruded Vat Fungus".)

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 11, 2013, 12:46:10 PM »

The head of Tri-Tachyon must be one cold bastard. Speaking of pirates being a catch-all, I really hope the leanings of independent fleets will be ambigous in the future. Ambushed when you answer a distress call, a "trader" fleet that turns out to mostly consist of Buffalo IIs and Mules with heavy weaponry, which scans and then heads after you, etc... and if you escape, you could alert Hegemony system authorities to their presence and maybe get a reward if they stop them at the jump point. ;D
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 12:48:35 PM by Cycerin »

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 11, 2013, 02:21:40 PM »

I pooped out some lore, it is really not that in-depth though. More like a concept, really.

Currently, the majority of humans consume the infamous nutri-drink, which is produced with processed nutri-drink plants. All that one needs to survive is 5 bottles of nutri-drink a day. If one is lucky, and has a few credits on hand, one can buy solid food such as an apple (slightly moldy) or even a military ration.

Speaking of which, military food is generally more appetizing than civilian food. The rations consist of a few dishes cooked from a large vat, or in a vacuum-packed autofactory manufactured MRE. The MRE can be cracked in half, which starts a chemical reaction that mysteriously cooks the food. The MRE's dishes are split into separate compartments, as not to spoil the taste. One is bitter, dark green vegetable slurry infused with minerals and preservatives. Another is a strange, yellow grain, not unlike rice, that sits in a goopy broth. It has a high fiber content, and is often the favorite of the crew, until it cleanses their bodies with merciless force. Deluxe packs will include fake mushroom meat within the grain ration, and can cost quite a bit more. The final ration is a sweet artificial dairy dish, which has the consistency of pudding. It also contains a raisin like fruit as a topping, in which is packed with vitamin E, C and A to supplement the lack sun, fresh fruit and eye health.

NanoMatter

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 10, 2014, 04:32:40 PM »

What is flux? Plasma or something, because in attemping someting lore breaking

Hari Seldon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 11, 2014, 12:46:44 PM »

In Starsector, spaceships can have mini-factories ("mini-facs")
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=3754.0

What limits the ability of mini-facs?  Lack of Universal Access Chips?  Size?  Resources?

If you own a full-size factory somewhere could you churn out unlimited numbers of mini-facs if you have the UAC?  Can mini-facs make other mini-facs (maybe in several pieces like some self-replicating 3D printers do)?

It would be really, really cool if mini-facs (or maybe call this type "mini-refineries"?) on Industrial spaceships could produce supplies from raw materials if you buy enough UACs.  Food from comets, technology from asteroids, and Infernium from whatever.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 12:59:33 PM by Hari Seldon »
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Salvor Hardin, Foundation
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 31