Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 31

Author Topic: The Lore Corner  (Read 254875 times)

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
Re: The Lore Corner
« Reply #150 on: July 17, 2013, 12:51:54 PM »

I don't agree with that, getting a giant cannon (or what have you) into space is a lot harder than just building it on the ground. planetary batteries should be more effective simply by weight class (although there is the problem of projectiles leaving atmos, but I'd like to think they're beyond that at this point.

Then we have a battle of spaceships vs (presumably) far heavier ground based batteries, which means it is more efficient to send troops planetside to take care of these assets, the planetary defenders deploy their own ground troops in response, etc. etc.
mmm.... tartiflette

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #151 on: July 17, 2013, 12:52:21 PM »

I'm going to go that planetary combat doesn't occur all too often any more - space rules over all.  Planetary bombardment pretty much renders all terran-based forces, well, null.

I think the opposite would be true. Space might rule over all, but in order to get to space you need a ship. And ships might be build on large orbital stations, but resources come from planets. Not to mention food and crew. So I can imagine that in a situation like this worlds are continuously fought over, both in space and on the ground. You can bombard everything and everyone from space, but that kind of ruins its resource output. :)

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 17, 2013, 01:01:24 PM »

Thing is, a lot of those weapons are produced in space.  And that means it's a lot easier than producing it on the ground.  Compare the WWII-era German Schwerer Gustav artillery, and then the Hellbore Cannon.

And I doubt ground-based artillery would be able to even compare to space-based batteries.  The Schwerer Gustav was the absolute limit of artillery, and it was past practicality.

Resources?  Asteroid fields - there's little that they don't have AFAIK.  Iron, Infernium, water, and a lot more stuff.  The only thing that would need to be done on planets on a large scale would be farming.  And once again, open fields.  It doesn't matter if you blow up a few hundred kilograms of grain, so long the enemy does not secure it.  Scorched Earth FTW.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 17, 2013, 01:02:00 PM »

Especially on planets like that of the Corvus II, a jungle, tanks and large vehicles would pretty much be rendered useless by the terrain. 

Flamethrowers and artillery shelling seems surprisingly effective in those conditions. :P

Also, what's wrong with space marines? Last time i checked, bulky armored outfits like that helped keep the bullets away from the flesh :)

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 17, 2013, 01:02:45 PM »

Yes, but then there's gravity to contend with down on those planets. ;) You're not going to be just prancing around in that armor. ;D

Artillery?  MOAR HELLBORES.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Grug

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 17, 2013, 01:27:21 PM »

I suppose I should have expounded on that more. If a Valkyrie can carry 290 Space Marines, how many regular infantry or mechanized infantry can it carry (approx)?

Also, I would imagine that planetary defence installations would be a thing. Hellbore/Hypervelocity quad-barrelled abomination installations would probably be a thing considering the lack of a weight limit. ICBM Missile silos, what have you would be a consistent threat.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 17, 2013, 02:05:58 PM »

come to think of it, I do remember alex saying something about planetary invasions being something beyond the means of the people in this sector, so the soldier might be right there. I have no source though so take with appropriate salt
mmm.... tartiflette

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #157 on: September 07, 2013, 10:48:17 AM »

I just noticed that this thread is not stickied. It took me an additional 1.17 minutes to find as a result. This is an unacceptable time penalty!!

Anyway, my question: A couple of sources (most notably the Eagle's codex entry) refer to the "League of Non-Aligned Worlds." David's faction icon art post makes no mention of the League, but contains a logo and brief discussion of the "Coalition." Are these the same entity? What's their relationship to the current "known" players like the Hegemony, Tri-Tachyon and Exar?

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 07, 2013, 06:51:53 PM »

I just noticed that this thread is not stickied. It took me an additional 1.17 minutes to find as a result. This is an unacceptable time penalty!!

A self inflicted penalty, for this thread is in the list of useful threads, which is in turn stickied. I still want the mug.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

firstattak1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 08, 2013, 09:46:59 PM »

I thought this league of planets was part of the independents. At least thinking of them game wise. Not being alinged would mean they arnt the hegmony, tri, ect. So the only option is independent. That's more of an assumption but it only makes since. Of coarse someone could prove me wrong.

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 08, 2013, 10:18:24 PM »

I thought this league of planets was part of the independents. At least thinking of them game wise. Not being alinged would mean they arnt the hegmony, tri, ect. So the only option is independent. That's more of an assumption but it only makes since. Of coarse someone could prove me wrong.

The existence of a League is not mutually exclusive to the existence of a Coalition. Nothing says that there can't be more than 1 independent faction. And just because they're independent doesn't mean they're completely neutrally aligned towards all other factions.

Grug

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 09, 2013, 04:31:11 PM »

Indeed. One would imagine that there's a wide number of independent factions aligned or sympathetic with all numbers of the various major factions, from luddites to the hegemony. I imagine many of the larger corporate factions are in a state of cold war with Tri-Tachyon, and other mining conglomerates, or trade empires are in direct opposition to the luddites, or competing firms. The few factions with control ever major planets would obviously be in direct conflict with the hegemony, or in a state of extreme tension.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 20, 2013, 07:57:59 AM »

So... uh... who exactly are the sindrian diktat?
mmm.... tartiflette

Grug

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 20, 2013, 11:00:46 AM »

Judging by the looks of them, they're a tinpot sorta dictatorship, independent of the hegemony.

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 20, 2013, 11:22:50 AM »

Judging by the looks of them, they're a tinpot sorta dictatorship, independent of the hegemony.

Okay, good. They're projecting the right idea then. :D

(There's a lot more background yet to be rolled in. I think the plan is the layer on features that allow a bit of storytelling in one form or another gradually so that in time the full picture of what went on and what's going on will form -- and then we give the player a choice in what is going to happen next!)
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 31