Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 31

Author Topic: The Lore Corner  (Read 254870 times)

sdmike1

• Admiral
  • Dyslexics of the world, untie!
    • View Profile
Re: The Lore Corner
« Reply #120 on: March 19, 2013, 07:37:33 AM »

its a game and its sci fi and have all topics as me. ;D
What ???

robokill

• Captain
  • Hey, over there stop looking at my guns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 19, 2013, 09:33:16 AM »

sorry  late last night dummness i was the last poster on all topics.
feel free to delete.

sdmike1

• Admiral
  • Dyslexics of the world, untie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 21, 2013, 09:05:17 AM »

There is a button in the upper right ;)

Hari Seldon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 28, 2013, 02:23:27 PM »

Has advanced AI in Starsector become "self-aware" and "generally smart" or are they just expert systems?
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=6232.0

I heard their classifications: alpha, beta, gamma delta, etc. could you summarize their features?
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Salvor Hardin, Foundation

Pelly

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 29, 2013, 05:07:07 AM »

Alpha- Sentience, Superior Ship AI used in Domain ships and very high level Tri Tach

Beta- Child like levels of understanding able to understand commands and carry them out cleverly e.g. Wasp wing, Ship AI

Gamma- Simple AI that reacts to stimulus, animal like. Used for low level drones and other defence systems.

Delta- Extremely simple AI that is used for everyday things e.g. doors,machine control and marine armour to regulate temperature ect. (Machine Spirits :P)

(This is solely based off my  interpretation of Alpha,Beta Gamma ect AI from SS and other Sci-Fi)

Grug

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 05, 2013, 03:39:27 PM »

Is the wolf class an early or late expansion era design?

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #126 on: July 05, 2013, 04:07:00 PM »

Probably late. All ships with blue engines are from the late epoch. :)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 05, 2013, 04:27:02 PM »

Probably late. All ships with blue engines are from the late epoch. :)

The expansion epoch is the latest epoch before the collapse. If the Wolf-class was designed early or late during that epoch is up to speculation. My guess would be that it was designed around the middle. It doesn't have the rough edges of the Apogee but also lacks the intimidating capabilities of something like the Hyperion.

If you are interested in ship design chronology; I have scribbled up a first draft of an article about that for the manual some time ago. PM me if you wan't to have a look.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 04:42:52 PM by Gothars »
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Grug

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 05, 2013, 07:05:27 PM »

Thanks Goth.

Ember

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 09, 2013, 01:21:43 PM »

I've looked around but I haven't been able to find anything about it so ill ask here

I've been wondering about the ships of the different epochs, as in what sort of equipment (shields if any, drives, weapons) did they field in each epoch as well as their design focus across the epochs

I would also like to know when an what happened in each epoch

Grug

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 09, 2013, 03:06:13 PM »

I've looked around but I haven't been able to find anything about it so ill ask here

I've been wondering about the ships of the different epochs, as in what sort of equipment (shields if any, drives, weapons) did they field in each epoch as well as their design focus across the epochs

I would also like to know when an what happened in each epoch
I'll give you the cut-and-dry.

There's three epochs. Mastery, Core, and Expansion.

The Mastery Epoch was part of our initial expansion and 'mastery' of our local cluster and solar system, slowly becoming accustomed to being a starfaring race. Ships of this era include the Hound, Lasher, Enforcer, Onslaught, and all other manner of vessels. The general design focus was armour, and kinetic weapons, with minimal speed and shields.

The Core epoch was when the general expansion of humanity really kicked in, where we started hunting down habitable planets across the stars, and created what amounts to be the 'core' of the Domain of Man. Large advances in engine and shield technology, as well as considerable pioneering in energy technology resulted in hybridized ships such as the Sunder, Hammerhead, Brawler, Falcon, Eagle, Gemini, And other similar craft. The focus was on middling armour, capable shields, and a robust mixed loadout of energy, ballistic and missile weapons. This was also when strike craft became popularized, with the Broadsword, Warthog, Thunder, and Gladius fighter craft were fielded.

The Expansion epoch was when humanity's technological prowess allowed them to colonize uninhabitable worlds for the first time, allowing barren sectors to be turned into veritable paradises. The Domain likely set out systematically from the core worlds, turning vast swaths of space into breadbaskets, en masse, and then transplanting large populations into the project to assist with the development. The focus of the late-tech craft became speed, shielding, energy weapons, flux efficiency, and strike craft. Advanced fightercraft like the wasp, xyphos, and similar became widespread, and the medusa destroyer, wolf frigate, aurora cruiser were some of the earlier designs, with phase frigates and cruisers coming in much later.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 09, 2013, 03:24:59 PM »

And after came the glorious fourth, the post-collapse epoch. We (likely) have to thank it for cutting edge designs like the Buffalo Mk.II and Condor-class.

(BTW it's ballistic weapons in the Mastery epoch, not kinetic. Otherwise all good.)

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Grug

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 09, 2013, 03:32:11 PM »

I was using kinetic colloquially as an equivalent to kinetic. :P My bad.

Ember

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 09, 2013, 03:33:31 PM »

thanks,

couple other questions, do the transitions between the epochs have individual names?

Ive recently started making ships and im told my designs would fit within early exploration and i have no idea where that falls under

Grug

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 09, 2013, 03:59:53 PM »

Early expansion, likely. The ships that fit into that have a mix of core and expansion design philosophies. Examples would be the apogee, and similar. (Bright white hull, light grey internals, blue trip, better shields, more energy intensive loadout, faster.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 31