Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 31

Author Topic: The Lore Corner  (Read 254370 times)

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
Re: The Lore Corner
« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2012, 09:43:04 AM »

Haha, yeah Ghoti, I was thinking the same thing.

Or perhaps you blink the shield at just the right moment to allow pass-through. And the astronomical odds of enemy fire passing through at the exact same instant is just abstracted away to nothing.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

GUNINANRUNIN

• Admiral
  • Let's do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2012, 10:11:49 AM »

I've always kinda wondered, just how are shields explained in starfarer  ;D

Since well, they seem to be selectively able to choose what passes through (your weapons) but blocks everything (their weapons) but also not everything (fighters)
Seems like it is just another one of those deus ex machinas :P
Fighters are presumably flying over and around the ship.
In short, if you throw a stone out of the rear window of your spaceship you will go faster.

sdmike1

• Admiral
  • Dyslexics of the world, untie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 12, 2012, 07:25:06 AM »

(This is the only place I could think to post this so here it goes...)

Perhaps i am reading to far into this but, it almost seems like with many of the factions that we have met you can draw detect parallels  with parts of Alex's life particularly his childhood.  Little bit of background on Alex for those who don't know, he was born in Moscow, judging from the way he talks (online) and the games he says he played as a kid i would place his age in the late twenties to early thirties , the wall was still up when he was born he later moved to America where he has lived sense(feel free to correct me on any points which i am wrong).  Take the Hegemony for instance; big, militaristic, dominating, use a large cheap military, all traits similar to the USSR.  The Tri-Tachyon corp on the other hand represents america or more precisely capitalism unbounded.  They use a expensive  relatively small force (similar to America in the cold war).  The player may represent Alex attempting to navigate the world.

Thoughts, feedback, any and all is appreciated!

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2012, 07:53:28 AM »

Yes, you are reading to far into this.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

harrumph

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2012, 08:17:18 AM »

Au contraire! The US and the USSR during the Cold War each represented the textbook definition of hegemony, and both were big, militaristic, and dominating. Both used large, expensive militaries (Soviet equipment wasn't always well-maintained, but it was extremely sophisticated and cost them far more than they could really afford). They may have wrapped themselves in different flags, so to speak, but they behaved very similarly. I think you could actually argue that the US was the more aggressive, more archetypically hegemonic power; the Soviets generally maintained a defensive posture and didn't engage in such dramatic adventurism as the Americans.

And yeah, you're definitely reading too much into it, but I like the idea of applying literary textual analysis to a game. It's a shame we don't do it more often!

(If I were Alex, though, I think I might be a little weirded out.)

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2012, 08:58:07 AM »

I like the idea of applying literary textual analysis to a game. It's a shame we don't do it more often!
It really isn't. People read in to things that just aren't there to begin with. Of course, people do the same thing with any kind of art.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 09:04:29 AM by BillyRueben »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2012, 08:59:39 AM »

:-\

Off-topic question: does anything about the way I speak write give away that I'm not a native English speaker? Aside from the occasional dropped article, that is - for which, if on Twitter, I plead 140 chars :)

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2012, 09:04:04 AM »

Off-topic question: does anything about the way I speak write give away that I'm not a native English speaker? Aside from the occasional dropped article, that is - for which, if on Twitter, I plead 140 chars :)
Write? No. Speak? Yes. Until I heard that interview you did for (insert gaming website here), I didn't suspect anything.

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2012, 09:08:21 AM »

Write? No. Speak? Yes. Until I heard that interview you did for (insert gaming website here), I didn't suspect anything.

Ha! Googled that out: http://www.immortalmachines.com/?p=641

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2012, 09:17:27 AM »

Gah! Man, it's so weird to hear yourself talk.

Sorry for taking this completely off-topic :)

To bring it back:
Or perhaps you blink the shield at just the right moment to allow pass-through. And the astronomical odds of enemy fire passing through at the exact same instant is just abstracted away to nothing.

Or the shields are one-way. Or the technology allows for small gaps to be created, in time with the projectiles leaving the ship. Advanced enough technology, magic, etc. (Not that it doesn't need to be self-consistent, but that's a slightly different matter.)

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 12, 2012, 09:22:51 AM »

What about shields similar to what Dune have: in that case is the speed of the projectile that matters, in SF maybe the *direction* and *vector* (outgoing projectiles are allowed).

harrumph

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 12, 2012, 09:27:46 AM »

It really isn't. People read in to things that just aren't there to begin with. Of course, people do the same thing with any kind of art.

Yeah, I studied English literature (and may yet go on to get a PhD) so this kind of nonsense is my bread & butter. Not to derail the thread even further, but I do think there's value in "things that just aren't there to begin with"—literary criticism has gone way too far in terms of thinking authorial intent irrelevant, but there's often more to a text than just what its author consciously intended.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 12, 2012, 09:36:42 AM »

Yeah, I studied English literature (and may yet go on to get a PhD) so this kind of nonsense is my bread & butter. Not to derail the thread even further, but I do think there's value in "things that just aren't there to begin with"—literary criticism has gone way too far in terms of thinking authorial intent irrelevant, but there's often more to a text than just what its author consciously intended.
I guess I'm just going to have to agree to disagree. I find that a lot of the time the author just wants to tell a good story and a game developer just wants to make a good game.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 12, 2012, 09:40:02 AM »

Yeah, sometimes the way you write things hints of the second language. But it's all nuance and I can't think of a specific example. And I wouldn't have been sure until you said that.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

sdmike1

• Admiral
  • Dyslexics of the world, untie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 12, 2012, 09:46:26 AM »

:-\

I was talking in terms of age not if English is your second language sorry for the confusion :)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 31