Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31

Author Topic: The Lore Corner  (Read 254383 times)

runetrantor

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: The Lore Corner
« Reply #420 on: September 30, 2019, 12:44:58 PM »

Given the lore states that blueprints are literally impossible to copy, and thus supply of them is mighty limited, probably yeah.

33k7

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: October 13, 2019, 08:46:48 PM »

I have a question for you

I don't know how familiar you are with other alien races from other Sci-Fi games, TV series  and stuff but

it looks like they're more advanced than the Mass Effect universe

an it seem to be less advanced than the Asgard from Stargate

I'm a little curious what level of Technology you give your universe

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: October 14, 2019, 01:31:12 PM »

I have a question for you

I don't know how familiar you are with other alien races from other Sci-Fi games, TV series  and stuff but

it looks like they're more advanced than the Mass Effect universe

an it seem to be less advanced than the Asgard from Stargate

I, uh, have almost no experience with either of those settings. So: no idea!

But (and this one is the creative cheat), technology exists that supports whatever the mood and gameplay requires. I'm also into the Gibsonian idea that distribution of technology is highly unequal and also that extremely advanced technology requires a large social infrastructure to be created and maintained. These principles give you the core conflicts of Starsector (which, in turn, supports a narrative of gameplay which involves lots of combat because that's what the game is designed to be about).

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: October 14, 2019, 05:43:22 PM »

Some of the older discussions say the level of technology is most similar with that of Warhammer 40k.

Question : How can stations have a battle support range, and how can one station cover a whole planet with no blind spots? I have a theory that "stations" are actually have reaction engines that lets them move around quite a bit, and reposition for defense, but they are set apart from "ships" by the virtue of not having a "drive field" that lets them move at a significant fraction of light speed.

Embolism

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: October 14, 2019, 08:58:43 PM »

Some of the older discussions say the level of technology is most similar with that of Warhammer 40k.

Question : How can stations have a battle support range, and how can one station cover a whole planet with no blind spots? I have a theory that "stations" are actually have reaction engines that lets them move around quite a bit, and reposition for defense, but they are set apart from "ships" by the virtue of not having a "drive field" that lets them move at a significant fraction of light speed.

Given that stations also act as civilian space ports... I highly doubt they'd be whizzing out of orbit to join battles. But all stations require thrusters for station-keeping, so moving to a different orbit shouldn't be difficult.

Ground operations require you to park your fleet in a geostationary orbit. Assuming stations are not, catching to a no-good geostationary fleet is easy with some station-keeping: the ISS orbits the Earth every 90 minutes or so. Presumably stations have long enough range to strike at anything that isn't on the 'dark' side of the planet, and even if they are an orbital kinetic/missle strike on another orbital fleet is not out of the question.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #425 on: October 15, 2019, 04:19:11 AM »

The station battle join range represents the friendly fleet running to the station's cover.
There'll be cases where the battle joining mechanic fails to model the implications of this correctly, but I think in 0.9.1 the main one (enemy fleet is weaker than player, but stronger if station is added, so it avoids engagement if the player declines to approach the station) works as it should.

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: October 15, 2019, 12:34:21 PM »

Q: What exactly is supplies, and why does so much of it get consumed to recover CR? Why do unmanned ships eat as much supplies as ships with hundreds of crew?

BringerofBabies

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: October 15, 2019, 01:07:33 PM »

Q: What exactly is supplies, and why does so much of it get consumed to recover CR? Why do unmanned ships eat as much supplies as ships with hundreds of crew?

Supplies are an abstraction of everything you need to keep a ship and its crew active - rations, spare parts, ammunition.

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: October 15, 2019, 11:26:34 PM »

Maybe the reaction mass for thrusters is lumped together with supplies instead of fuel? Maybe that’s why so much of it gets used up, and so much are used for combat. Where as antimatter fuel is the stuff that powers hyperspace travel, but not gor conventional thrusters.

33k7

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: December 11, 2019, 10:02:25 AM »

since we're in the holiday season I thought I'd ask this question Luddic Church, Tri-Tachyon, Hegemony, Sindrian Diktat and Persean League still celebrate New Year's Day national holidays and whatnot just a little curious it also would be funny if a patrol stop you and after searching your ship cargo  wish you a happy Phoenix day or something

TheWanderingDumbass

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: December 11, 2019, 03:06:30 PM »

Does anyone know how to make astropoli anymore in the Persean sector?

33k7

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: December 13, 2019, 03:01:31 PM »

did you just make an account to insult me damn I feel special ;)

TheWanderingDumbass

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: December 13, 2019, 05:04:10 PM »

Lol. Nah.

Just been intending to ask that question and decided to do so.

Nautilus81

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: March 02, 2020, 07:30:01 PM »

Are the Core Worlds and Periphery stations the only active human settlements left in the Sector? While there are plenty of ruins to go around, I was wondering if any independent worlds/factions/etc. beyond what we have currently exist beyond the reach of the major factions, or operate substantially on their own while nominally supporting one side or another? For example, a Luddic Separatist colony nestled somewhere far from Core that keeps mostly to itself and remains fiercely isolationist, or perhaps a League mining colony that chanced upon an abandoned shipyard and decided to build their own Navy rather than rely upon a Fleet that is at best weeks or even months away from responding to calls for aid.

Or is it simply a case of all remaining humans live inside the Core for their own safety, and beyond that on the map is just hyperstorms and the words 'Here be TriTachyon's latest and greatest defense products Monsters'?

33k7

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: March 07, 2020, 10:42:43 AM »

I have seen redacted solar systems where there are still has humans living on planets (decivilized) but had no access to space travel.
basically the only human settlements outside of the core worlds are decivilized just as the Luddic Path would like.
the only humans active outside of the core worlds are the Pirates and the Luddic Path
this will probably change but until then just enjoy the post-apocalyptic sector
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31